DBSTalk Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

· Registered
1,159 Posts
So your fine with ads? How about that? :)

The point is, once upon a time there was no ads, now there are. Things change. Just because YOU don't want it to happen, doesn't mean it won't. Just because it's NOT that way now, doesn't mean it won't be that way in the future. Again, I'm speculating, we all are, but I've seen time and time again, in places where there were no ads, now there are, and in most of those cases we weren't given a choice. Why? Because the money that comes from ads is HUGE. And no matter how much you pay to get no ads, it might still be worth it to forego that tier. Someone (maybe you) mentioned that you don't want to upset customers. Well, first, the majority of your customers don't appear to care about getting ads for many of these streamers, like Hulu. Second, as I said, a good portion of customers might buy the ad tier if the content they want to watch is still there (if for example you were a fan of Star Trek on P+ and suddenly there wasn't an ad free option, what would you do? Would you suck it up and watch the ads or, cut the service? I'd bet the former, knowing the Trekkies I know). So yea, you might p**s off a few customers. Maybe you are the exception who would refuse to pay anything to watch ads if there's a choice.

And lastly, if my speculation annoys you, simply stop responding and the discussion dies on the vine.
As I (and a number of others) have already tried explaining to you, live sports have natural breaks in the action and are in no way similar to scripted programming. And no, ad-free tiers are not going away, because the streaming companies are not going to do anything that will cause them to lose paying customers.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
From the fan's standpoint, the leagues all need to make bold moves to address this. MLB is kind of in baby steps here.

From the network's standpoint, long games are cheap footage and if they can slip in some quick ads, more the better.
Both baseball and football (probably other sports as well) have been doing that for at least a couple of years. They shrink the picture for 30 seconds during a mound visit or other short break in the action and show an ad. That's my queue to hit the 30-second skip without missing any of the action. Or if I'm caught up on the game, I just hit the pause button while I get a cup of coffee, then hit the 30-second skip when I get back.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
People may be mad but make no mistake it is gonna fly. This is what networks are doing with shows that still have an audience but they are on the verge of being canceled so they move them to streaming only instead of canceling them. It happened with Seal Team and Dancing with the Stars and now Days Of Our Lives. The people that watch Days Of Our Lives should be happy they can watch with the free version of Peacock unless the plan is to put it in the Premium only version. With Seal Team and Dancing with the Stars peoples only options are to subscribe to Paramount+ and Disney+.

But people have a choice...either watch it on the streaming service or don't watch it at all.
Yes, that has happened with a number of shows, like "Seal Team" and "Evil" on CBS. Instead of being canceled, they moved over to Paramount+ for additional seasons. For those who have insufficient bandwidth to stream, they can download episodes and watch them.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
It does seem all but certain that NFLST will be exclusive to a streaming service after this season. That's not necessarily bad news for those of us who have been subscribing to the package on DirecTV, depending on what features the streaming service offers. It's even possible they could improve on what DirecTV offers. Those who don't have adequate Internet service should probably look into options like the Starlink service that was mentioned earlier in this thread.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
I know one damn thing. I love to watch football. But I won’t pay noone $500 for it. There’s a lot of other places that $500 needs to spent for like putting food on the family dinner table for starters. I don’t care if DIRECTV has the package or Amazon or Apple or Google. Nobody is gonna be able to afford to pay for a $500 package. At $300 right now it’s already a lot of dough & $400 if you get Max. Of course this year a lot of folks including myself are getting the package for free. Pay $500 to watch a “buffering circle” spin around on your screen because they decided it would be better to move the package to a streaming service. Sounds like a real plan there Hoss!
Pricing is likely to be in line with what DirecTV has been charging. They raised the price almost every year until it got close to $300, where it has been for the last four years. DirecTV's market research probably showed that subscriptions would drop at $300 or above.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
No streaming won’t work for everyone. Not everyone wants to use a device or sit in front of a computer screen to watch television or watch football. What’s the point of buying a large screen set to watch on? Not every television streams and has apps for download to stream crap. I still have an old Vizio that was bought in 2009 that still works great but has no smarthub to download apps for streaming like the newer televisions have and I bet I am not the only person who still has a television like that.
If you have an older TV, all you need is a streaming device like a Roku, but I imagine you already know that.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
This is probably only an issue if you're using a web browser and not using its build-in credentials manager. Most streaming devices cache credentials for a long, long time. Some credentials even seem to survive re-installation of the app.

Some prefer having their viewing choices categorized but I acknowledge the attraction of a unified UI.
Yeah, it's pretty rare to have to re-enter credentials.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
I am starting to accept it. The NFL Sunday Ticket will move to streaming. For an out of market fan like myself I won’t see the team I have always watched. Can’t do anything about it. There is another posting about they are gonna put a game on Amazon on Black Fridays. I don’t get Amazon. Oh well for all you who have great wi-fi congratulations and enjoy.
Just curious - what NFL team(s) do you follow? I seem to recall you follow a bunch of MLB teams.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
sorry for snappin’ I am a Bears fan. I know they haven’t been good in forever. I am gonna miss seeing them since I don’t live in Illinois anymore and rely on the Ticket to get their games.
That's okay, I just wondered which teams you were following. I follow out-of-market teams as well - the Cardinals in baseball and the Rams in football. I also watch the Chiefs and Falcons games when they don't conflict. I signed up with DirecTV back in 2003 so I could watch the Rams games and I haven't missed a game since then. I like watching on the DVR, but I'm also okay with streaming as long as it has the same functionality - i.e, being able to watch multiple games at once without missing anything.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
If NFLST offers less games, it decreases in value. It may not be a big decrease but the hits have become larger with time.

It works against DIRECTV as well as DIRECTV subscribers are forced to use a competitor's service if they want to view those games.
Not really. There are more games than ever on competing services, but the NFL will be able to sell the package for twice what they received on the previous contract.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm not talking about the NFL's pricing to the winning bidder. I'm talking about the value of the NFLST package to potential subscribers.
Has no effect on the value of NFLST to subscribers, either. I've been a subscriber for almost 20 years. A Black Friday telecast just means there is one more game I'll be able to watch that week.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Don't assume that this raiding of exclusive content doesn't have an impact. As with other forms of conventional pay TV, people are thinking harder and harder about what they're getting for their money.
The only impact it has is to make additional games available to watch. There are as many as 13 games in the two Sunday timeslots, which is way more than anyone can watch. As a 20-year subscriber to NFLST, I can assure you that having an additional game available to watch on Black Friday is something I welcome. It certainly doesn't reduce the value I get from NFLST.

· Registered
1,159 Posts
Interesting article about how Amazon will handle TNF games this year. This plays into some of the questions we all had about how a ST could be handled.

So there will be some sort of "DVR" functionality. I read another article that speaks to them trying to figure out latency issues, which is important especially with gamblers. This is something they are actively working on improving to the point where it will be no worse than Satellite. For those in this thread and others who were saying there's no way that Amazon or Apple could every accomplish these things, well as I said, they are absolutely looking at it and are aware of what users are looking for.
Yes, that's great news about the TNF games on Amazon. DVR functionality similar to what can be done with an actual DVR. You can even set a season recording for the games. It's an encouraging sign for next year's NFLST.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts