DBSTalk Forum banner
901 - 920 of 1579 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,503 Posts
DIRECTV assembles what product? DirecTV Satellite has nothing to do with streaming football games.
DIRECTV assembles the content that it captures (or is fed) from other networks into several channels that it distributes via satellite or streaming. Who else do you think is involved?

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
DIRECTV assembles the content that it captures (or is fed) from other networks into several channels that it distributes via satellite or streaming. Who else do you think is involved?
DIRECTV doesn't produce one single NFL game. They re-transmit the football games being produced by FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN, etc...

Then who is in charge of the online version of Sunday Ticket? You know, the one that seemingly had all sorts of authentication issues this weekend?
Autentication issues have nothing to do with the production of the product.

· Super Moderator
54,200 Posts
I hope its sorted out but if history has shown me anything, its that the NFL is NOT ready to a streaming exclusive platform for their live games.
It is important to understand that it isn't the NFL that is doing the heavy lifting. They're just collecting their payments. If the streaming product isn't any good, DIRECTV (or one of their agents) seems the likely culprit.
You may want to check and see what games joshjr is referring to before blaming DIRECTV for every problem with streaming.

26,503 Posts
DIRECTV doesn't produce one single NFL game. They re-transmit the football games being produced by FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN, etc...
That's why I didn't use the word "produces". You're just reading that into my post.

Assembly is absolutely a form of production but it assumes less responsibility for the content.

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
That's why I didn't use the word "produces". You're just reading that into my post.

Assembly is absolutely a form of production but it assumes less responsibility for the content.
I still want to know how why you think DIRECTV is responsible for streaming issues on Amazon? They do not assemble anything for the games that are on Amazon.

· Super Moderator
54,200 Posts
No DIRECTV "assembly" required for the streaming of TNF, London games, etc. via other services (the games joshjr specifies in another thread).
No DIRECTV "assembly" required for Sunday Ticket. Receive a channel for rebroadcast and uplink it to their customers.

· AllStar
234 Posts

Autentication issues have nothing to do with the production of the product.
Way to move the goal posts! DirecTV is responsible for the delivery of the streaming version of NFL Sunday Ticket. And being unable to login to a service you are paying for is definetly DirecTV's fault.

26,503 Posts
I still want to know how why you think DIRECTV is responsible for streaming issues on Amazon? They do not assemble anything for the games that are on Amazon.
I was talking about the thread topic. If someone has decided that they want to talk about Amazon, I'm not sure where they get their content from. I'd imagine that it comes from one of the contractors like many of the broadcast networks do with "lesser" games (or games that are too far from the previous game). The point is that there is one or two (or maybe three?) streams per game that are assembled that is/are the genesis for the end product(s) whether it gets uplinked to circulated to CDNs.

Now this thread has added another issue with addition of authentication so those who note issues should make an effort to be specific about what service they're carping about. I'd be very surprised if Amazon wasn't doing authentication for the TNF games and DIRECTV wasn't responsible for NFLST streaming authentication. It remains possible, however remotely, that both are using agents.

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
I was talking about the thread topic. If someone has decided that they want to talk about Amazon, I'm not sure where they get their content from. I'd imagine that it comes from one of the contractors like many of the broadcast networks do with "lesser" games (or games that are too far from the previous game). The point is that there is one or two (or maybe three?) streams per game that are assembled that is/are the genesis for the end product(s) whether it gets uplinked to circulated to CDNs.

Now this thread has added another issue with addition of authentication so those who note issues should make an effort to be specific about what service they're carping about. I'd be very surprised if Amazon wasn't doing authentication for the TNF games and DIRECTV wasn't responsible for NFLST streaming authentication. It remains possible, however remotely, that both are using agents.
In post #897 joshjr posted about his experience with streaming. Somehow during that topic discussion you decided it was all DIRECTV's fault.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
I understand where you are coming from here. I am skeptical about it myself as the last 4 years of any NFL game that required streaming for me had issues. Internet plan is 300 meg down and not really an issue. I hope its sorted out but if history has shown me anything, its that the NFL is NOT ready to a streaming exclusive platform for their live games. I hope that has changed but I would have to see it for myself. I guess in some ways the Thursday games this year will show us if we should even attempt a streaming option for Sunday Ticket next year.
This is the best post i’ve seen and thank you for posting.

· Premium Member
4,093 Posts
Way to move the goal posts! DirecTV is responsible for the delivery of the streaming version of NFL Sunday Ticket. And being unable to login to a service you are paying for is definetly DirecTV's fault.
Yes the authenticaion was a problem with DIRECTV. It didn't affect everyone though as I didn't have any issue with it either via the streaming app of the satellite version. Every year the first week problems pop up and are usually fixed that same day. If not then at least by the second week. But this still does not have any issue with the actual streaming of the game. Like I said the authentication didn't affect me. The games all streamed fine for me. Although Redzone was about 30 seconds behind the satellite version.

· Registered
1,175 Posts
Well I don’t know about that, the person I talked with helped me out with my programming concearns. I don’t know why there’d be any reason I shouldn’t believe them?
If they don't have an answer for your question or issue, they just make something up. They do it because it's easier than finding the correct answer and they know they won't be held accountable.

26,503 Posts
If they don't have an answer for your question or issue, they just make something up. They do it because it's easier than finding the correct answer and they know they won't be held accountable.
Most CSRs are paid by the call. The quicker they get you off the phone, the better their performance numbers.

· Icon
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #916 ·
The NFL is kinda doing everyone a disservice by making us wait to see who will actually have Sunday Ticket next year. Usually they will announce something but I am going to predict there isn’t a service that has secured it yet because of the price tag. It’s very expensive. And with that price tag comes the price that anyone who wants it will have to pay. It is my understanding whoever gets it will not be able to offer discounts. You will be paying the $300 price for it in full next year.
Face it, does it REALLY matter to you if it's anyone besides DirecTV who almost certainly will not have it past this year? Does it matter to you if it's Apple, or Amazon, or Google, so Microsoft or KMart? If it's not DirecTv you will be disappointed and sadly SOL. Of course the millions who could never have ST because they can't have a dish on their dwelling will be cheering loudly at finally having the opportunity to watch ST. The smaller population that doesn't have good internet, well sorry about that.

· Icon
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #917 ·
Same. I have the current streaming version. I was getting fantasy alerts on my phone just prior to the play actually happening while watching the game (I was watching the actual game and not Red Zone).
I get this today, using Sat. I have the MLB app on my phone and I can follow games on the app. Often the app will have a result a pitch or two before the game broadcast. So there's a lag with Sat too. I think I read somewhere that broadcast (i.e. via antenna) has almost no lag, cable has the next shortest lag, then sat and then internet broadcasts. So there's no getting away from lag. The only people who really care about it are people doing prop bets on their apps. Otherwise, who cares?

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Face it, does it REALLY matter to you if it's anyone besides DirecTV who almost certainly will not have it past this year? Does it matter to you if it's Apple, or Amazon, or Google, so Microsoft or KMart? If it's not DirecTv you will be disappointed and sadly SOL. Of course the millions who could never have ST because they can't have a dish on their dwelling will be cheering loudly at finally having the opportunity to watch ST. The smaller population that doesn't have good internet, well sorry about that.
Yeah it matters I actually hope there is an agreement where people can stream NFL Sunday Ticket but I also hope there is a co-agreement where NFL Sunday Ticket can stay with DIRECTV for residential customers who want to keep it. I am hoping it is opened up to maximize distribution. Not take it away from people who have had it nearly 3 decades! Make sense?

· Cool Member/Supporter
344 Posts
Yeah it matters I actually hope there is an agreement where people can stream NFL Sunday Ticket but I also hope there is a co-agreement where NFL Sunday Ticket can stay with DIRECTV for residential customers who want to keep it. I am hoping it is opened up to maximize distribution. Not take it away from people who have had it nearly 3 decades! Make sense?
It might be helpful to remember that DirecTV decided that they were done with the NFL, not the other way around. DirecTV made a business decision that the contract no longer made sense for them.

The NFL decided to pursue a contract that will make them more money.

It's really just that simple.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
It might be helpful to remember that DirecTV decided that they were done with the NFL, not the other way around. DirecTV made a business decision that the contract no longer made sense for them.

The NFL decided to pursue a contract that will make them more money.

It's really just that simple.
If it’s so simple as you say, then why hasn’t any deal been agreed upon or even announced? The 2023 NFL season is officially less than a year away now. You can say DIRECTV made a business decision all you want but according to some they still may try to reach out to the next company whoever gets it to have a co-exclusive agreement. And as I stated in earlier posts, there are a few articles that discuss it. One is from the tv answer man. And a few other articles also discuss it and I can provide article links if needed.

901 - 920 of 1579 Posts