DBSTalk Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1339 Posts

·
Icon
2,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #981 ·
As AT&T agreed to cover a large portion of the cost of NFLST as part of the joint venture agreement, it is actually AT&T that is taking most of the hit rather than generosity on DIRECTV's part.
Not the point I was trying to make, but AT&T = DIrecTV up until this year (at least since they bought them), but whatever. The fact is, people who EXPECT the company to give them a $300 item for free every year is probably expecting too much.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have great internet in my house and my wifi is amazing but I believe a big part of that is my mesh router. I have an ORBI but there are other good one as well if you have speeds above 300mb down and couldn't stream last nights game virtually flawlessly I think you should look into mesh routers.
I have wired Netgear access points ( bought 7) because my house is 4500 sq. feet, had a lot of dead zones until I put them in, each one was only $89 at Amazon and well worth it, no matter what room I am in, at least 600 down, 30 up speed.

This is it-
Font Home appliance Electronic device Gas Rectangle

·
Go Pack Go!!!!
2,776 Posts
Not the point I was trying to make, but AT&T = DIrecTV up until this year (at least since they bought them), but whatever. The fact is, people who EXPECT the company to give them a $300 item for free every year is probably expecting too much.
I never EXPECT anything for free (maybe I’m only one of the few here), but for the last 3 years I got it because my account qualified for it at zero cost. Whether it was automatic or just asking a CSR if my account qualified, I saved $416 each of the last 3 years. Prior to that, they usually offered multiple 12 month credits to offset most if not all the cost of STMax for me. I can’t complain, and didn’t get greedy.

·
Super Moderator
54,018 Posts
As AT&T agreed to cover a large portion of the cost of NFLST as part of the joint venture agreement, it is actually AT&T that is taking most of the hit rather than generosity on DIRECTV's part.
AT&T paying for TPG's losses on NFL ST is only until the current contract ends and freed TPG up to give as many people free NFL ST as they wanted with no immediate repercussions. The penalty will be paid next year when DIRECTV subscribers won't be able to get free service from DIRECTV.

In previous years any loss (if any) could be balanced out against the overall profit they were making from their main packages and fees.

·
Super Moderator
54,018 Posts
$25 off per month ... Cash but possible.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
i do paid for Prime.. consequently i shouldn't see any commercials.

That's pretty dumb. What do you expect them to show during timeouts, a blank screen? Or did you think the NFL was going to make this a special game where there no timeouts for TV or otherwise, and no breaks between quarters or halves, for your own individual convenience? Screw the players, they can drop from exhaustion, bjlc has spoken!

Maybe you should call up Directv and tell them because you are paying for it, you want them to immediately remove all commercials. Let us know how long it takes them before they stop laughing and can get some words out.

·
Super Moderator
54,018 Posts
Taylor Swift reps Coke. How could she appear in the Pepsi half time show? Apple Music taking over the sponsorship opens the door. Note that the press release was issued at midnight ... which is the title of Taylor's new album. (Pepsi had already announced that they would not be sponsoring the next super bowl half time.)

If Apple TV has some fall 2023 content to announce it would be a good opportunity. But the sponsor change is Taylor made. (And I expect the 2023 sponsor will be announced at the end of the regular season.)

·
Super Moderator
54,018 Posts
Accurate as of the time posted. :)

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
Not sure I believe anything in this report.

Apple is looking for partnerships with sports leagues in which it can offer consumers more than standard rights agreements — such as having free rein to offer games globally or in local markets. Apple has that type of deal with Major League Soccer, a 10-year partnership that begins in 2023.
I'm sure Apple is aware of the exclusive contracts of the other providers so there is no way they would be able to go into local markets. If Apple is looking for a deal similar to its deal with MLS good luck with that.

·
Premium Member
11,401 Posts
Since Apple was reportedly the only company willing to pay what the NFL was hoping to get, if they don't come to an agreement then the NFL will get less than they were hoping for from someone else, probably Amazon.

If it is really just over international rights I'm not sure why the NFL should care. It isn't like they are striking huge deals for that, but they keep persisting with this dumb idea the rest of the world will suddenly start wanting to watch American football.

Reactions: b4pjoe

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,982 Posts
Since Apple was reportedly the only company willing to pay what the NFL was hoping to get, if they don't come to an agreement then the NFL will get less than they were hoping for from someone else, probably Amazon.
If Apple is going to demand a first born child and some other honorariums, they may not actually be in the running.

·
Super Moderator
54,018 Posts
If Apple wants more than the NFL is offering and Amazon does not want to pay what the NFL demands then the solution may be non exclusive or no service available.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,982 Posts
If Apple wants more than the NFL is offering and Amazon does not want to pay what the NFL demands then the solution may be non exclusive or no service available.
Alternatively, the NFL will need to set its sights lower. A non-exclusive seems like a non-starter in terms of value to the distributor and overhead on the part of the NFL.

981 - 1000 of 1339 Posts