DBSTalk Forum banner
1281 - 1300 of 1567 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
The YTTV Spanish plan is $35.99 and that may make the difference between subscribing to NFLST and not (assuming an English call is available with the Spanish plan).

26,462 Posts
Average monthly DirecTV Bill is reported as over $130, so $780 for 6 months
slice1900's supposition is that an annual subscription to the winner's service would be required rather than a subscription that only runs the length of the NFLST season.

Plus another $300 for the NFLST package itself.

The DIRECTV ARPU is likely over $140 unless a lot of subscribers have been downgrading (or they're handing out discounts at an unprecedented rate).

· Godfather
1,020 Posts
All of this speculation is laughable at this point. It would be a lot more fun over a few beers, though.

But let me point out to those speculating about required subscriptions--ST is already available to stream as a stand-alone product to many people that can't get Directv and at a very nice price for just about anyone with an EDU email address.

NFL SUNDAY TICKET Online Streaming without DIRECTV | DIRECTV

Note: NO SATELLITE REQUIRED

The idea that Google, Apple any other streamer is going to require you to pay for something just for the privilege of subscribing to ST isn't even worth a passing thought. It's not going to happen.

· Registered
197 Posts
All of this speculation is laughable at this point. It would be a lot more fun over a few beers, though.

But let me point out to those speculating about required subscriptions--ST is already available to stream as a stand-alone product to many people that can't get Directv and at a very nice price for just about anyone with an EDU email address.

You mean the service that kept crashing the first 4 weeks of the season.

The majority of the population do not have a .edu e-mail account, I am 55, there was no such thing when I was in College.

And I have a House, it would not let me sign up.

· Godfather
1,020 Posts
You mean the service that kept crashing the first 4 weeks of the season.

The majority of the population do not have a .edu e-mail account, I am 55, there was no such thing when I was in College.

And I have a House, it would not let me sign up.
Yes, but we're not talking about that. We're talking about who the next package will be available from and whether anything else will be required. BTW, I'm 65 so honestly, I'm well aware of what and what wasn't in existence back in the day.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,286 ·
As of now, 68 Million Households still get paid Live TV and that includes YTTV and the likes, that is out of 129 million Households, in 8 years, Live Paid TV has lost over 30 million, the pace of those leaving is increasing.

I don't disagree. Still 68M people is a huge number, so there's still a huge market, probably bigger than any one non-linear streaming service. It's dying, not dead, and there's always a chance, with prices of streaming services increasing, or some other marketing scheme to bundle linear with other streaming services that it could live on quite a long time. It will just look different than in the past.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,287 ·

The idea that Google, Apple any other streamer is going to require you to pay for something just for the privilege of subscribing to ST isn't even worth a passing thought. It's not going to happen.
You're first statement completely contradicts your last one. We have NO (as in ZERO) idea what any of these streamers will do. In order to see how your DirecTV link works, I'd have to give my name. Do you have that service? My guess is that it's only available to those who cannot get SAT service. But I'd love more info about that for my own knowledge. That said, we just don't know. It's quite possible that the whole point of bring in ST is as a "loss leader (and quite an expensive)" to get you to sign up for their primary service (YTTV, ATV+, AP or whatever). It's also quite possible it's to sell devices (only available for owners of an ATV, Android TV, Firestick), and it's also quite possible it's none of these. We just dont know. To say in your first statement that the speculation is laughable, and then to speculate what they might do....well, you see my point.

EDIT: So reading a further post, it's available to EDU domains only? Then, it's even more silly to say it's available via streaming because it isn't except in special circumstances.

· Cool Member
81 Posts
This will likely be the end of DTV as we know it and maybe completely within five years. When I was a CSR for a spell in 2010, there was the thought that ST would never leave DTV and was really the sole reason for existence for both maybe second only to giving premium tv to places cable didn't reach.

· Hall Of Fame
4,992 Posts
This will likely be the end of DTV as we know it and maybe completely within five years. When I was a CSR for a spell in 2010, there was the thought that ST would never leave DTV and was really the sole reason for existence for both maybe second only to giving premium tv to places cable didn't reach.
Me personally I do value them for more than just my Sunday Ticket provider but there are other options. I will say every time I look into it though, none of the streaming options would cover me as good and neither does Dish Network. Even if Sunday Ticket changes to someone else, I would probably look for a ST stand alone option and keep DirecTV.

26,462 Posts
Other than professors, who do you suppose can afford to burn $300 on NFLST when they're looking at years of student loan debt as it is?

26,462 Posts
In order to see how your DirecTV link works, I'd have to give my name.
The qualification widget only requires your residential address (or maybe that of an adjacent neighbor). The address either qualifies or it doesn't based on some mysterious database of large apartment complexes, campus housing facilities and maybe some known unserved addresses.

· Registered
197 Posts
I don't disagree. Still 68M people is a huge number, so there's still a huge market, probably bigger than any one non-linear streaming service. It's dying, not dead, and there's always a chance, with prices of streaming services increasing, or some other marketing scheme to bundle linear with other streaming services that it could live on quite a long time. It will just look different than in the past.
Every time someone puts up a post against streaming, they always bring up a price increase, you are correct, prices will increase, but it is not like Traditional Providers will not have a price increase, DirecTV goes up every year. Comcast, heck, Dish Network had 3 in 2 years.

Then you have all those fees Traditional Providers has, with that and the yearly increase, there will always be a big divide between streaming and Traditional.

26,462 Posts
Every time someone puts up a post against streaming, they always bring up a price increase, you are correct, prices will increase, but it is not like Traditional Providers will not have a price increase, DirecTV goes up every year. Comcast, heck, Dish Network had 3 in 2 years.
The failure in your assertion is that it doesn't contemplate the percentage of the price hike as compared to the old package price. When FuboTV or YTTV raise their price $5, that's more like a $16 increase for DIRECTV (assuming that DIRECTV didn't also jack up some of their "hidden" fees like the RSN fee).

· Icon
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,294 ·

Then you have all those fees Traditional Providers has, with that and the yearly increase, there will always be a big divide between streaming and Traditional.
I'm not against streaming and in fact, I know that's the future. I'm not at all in denial about it. I just think the death of linear is premature. I think in 20 years it will still exist. But probably not like it does now. My point is if Google decided to force someone to get YTTV with ST, I don't see people being up in arms about it. In fact, there's still a significant portion of people using linear and will for the foreseable future. It will probably diminish over time, but there is always the possiblity that it could be saved as well. That's what I'm saying.

· Registered
197 Posts
The failure in your assertion is that it doesn't contemplate the percentage of the price hike as compared to the old package price. When FuboTV or YTTV raise their price $5, that's more like a $16 increase for DIRECTV (assuming that DIRECTV didn't also jack up some of their "hidden" fees like the RSN fee).
I do not think of YTTV as streaming ( yet I know it is), just another form of sending Traditional Live TV and definitely not how future TV will look.

Streaming to me is Paramount+, Disney+ , Netflix and all the others.

That is the future of Television.

Until the next thing comes along.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
What I would like to see happen is a co-exclusive arrangement possibly between 3 companies. DIRECTV, Apple, & one other company Amazon, Or Google, or YouTube. Open Sunday Ticket up to everyone whether it be streaming or satellite. Each pay the NFL’s asking price of $3 Billion total. $1 Billion splitting the cost 3 ways by each company. That way the package is available in some form to everybody. Wouldn’t that make sense? I know I know it probably won’t happen that way. But at this point we’re not seeing anyone signing and last I heard Apple and the NFL hit a snag over the distribution rights something about the blackouts. Then there is the issue of getting subscribers after a deal is signed. Whoever gets the package will need to sign up a lot of subscribers to get back a $3 Billion dollar investment all by themselves . $3 Billion. Just think about that for a moment. That is whopping for a television deal. Open the package up for everybody. Why is this so hard?

· Registered
11,428 Posts
What I would like to see happen is a co-exclusive arrangement possibly between 3 companies. DIRECTV, Apple, & one other company Amazon, Or Google, or YouTube. Open Sunday Ticket up to everyone whether it be streaming or satellite. Each pay the NFL’s asking price of $3 Billion total. $1 Billion splitting the cost 3 ways by each company. That way the package is available in some form to everybody. Wouldn’t that make sense? I know I know it probably won’t happen that way. But at this point we’re not seeing anyone signing and last I heard Apple and the NFL hit a snag over the distribution rights something about the blackouts. Then there is the issue of getting subscribers after a deal is signed. Whoever gets the package will need to sign up a lot of subscribers to get back a $3 Billion dollar investment all by themselves . $3 Billion. Just think about that for a moment. That is whopping for a television deal. Open the package up for everybody. Why is this so hard?

If it isn't worth $3 billion for any one of those companies, why would any of them think it is worth $1 billion to share it with two others? They'd end up in a price war with each other trying to win more customers, and end up even worse off than if they had an exclusive.

· Registered
197 Posts
Just a little while ago you were posting that you had inside information and that NFLST would be staying with DirecTV.

What happened?

· Godfather
1,020 Posts
You're first statement completely contradicts your last one. We have NO (as in ZERO) idea what any of these streamers will do. In order to see how your DirecTV link works, I'd have to give my name. Do you have that service? My guess is that it's only available to those who cannot get SAT service. But I'd love more info about that for my own knowledge. That said, we just don't know. It's quite possible that the whole point of bring in ST is as a "loss leader (and quite an expensive)" to get you to sign up for their primary service (YTTV, ATV+, AP or whatever). It's also quite possible it's to sell devices (only available for owners of an ATV, Android TV, Firestick), and it's also quite possible it's none of these. We just dont know. To say in your first statement that the speculation is laughable, and then to speculate what they might do....well, you see my point.

EDIT: So reading a further post, it's available to EDU domains only? Then, it's even more silly to say it's available via streaming because it isn't except in special circumstances.
As I said, it's available to those that can't get satellite AND to those with a qualifying EDU email. You need proof (edit: to be clear...you need proof of eligibility). I have a friend that works at a college and I believe the EDU cost for the season is about $85. She signed up sometime in October so it might have been a bit more earlier.

· Godfather
1,020 Posts
Other than professors, who do you suppose can afford to burn $300 on NFLST when they're looking at years of student loan debt as it is?
Which part of a very nice price do you not comprehend? Seriously, do you think every college student is broke? Plenty of kids taking two or three courses at a community college.

Keep in mind, too, that system is built for abuse. If your kid is in college and has no interest in football, they can still sign up for ST under their email, provide proof with a student ID or some other document and YOU are good to go.

The cost, according to a friend was somewhere around $85 but she signed up some time in October so it might have been a bit more before the season started.

But again, the real point here is that Sunday Ticket can exist on its own.

1281 - 1300 of 1567 Posts