DBSTalk Forum banner
1301 - 1320 of 1567 Posts

· Godfather
1,020 Posts
What I would like to see happen is a co-exclusive arrangement possibly between 3 companies. DIRECTV, Apple, & one other company Amazon, Or Google, or YouTube. Open Sunday Ticket up to everyone whether it be streaming or satellite. Each pay the NFL’s asking price of $3 Billion total. $1 Billion splitting the cost 3 ways by each company. That way the package is available in some form to everybody. Wouldn’t that make sense? I know I know it probably won’t happen that way. But at this point we’re not seeing anyone signing and last I heard Apple and the NFL hit a snag over the distribution rights something about the blackouts. Then there is the issue of getting subscribers after a deal is signed. Whoever gets the package will need to sign up a lot of subscribers to get back a $3 Billion dollar investment all by themselves . $3 Billion. Just think about that for a moment. That is whopping for a television deal. Open the package up for everybody. Why is this so hard?
What you would like to see is just as irrelevant as what any of us would like.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
What I would like to see happen is a co-exclusive arrangement possibly between 3 companies.
The NFL has made it abundantly clear that they only want to deal with one company. Inventing nonsense terms like "co-exclusive" isn't going to make it fly.

26,462 Posts
Seriously, do you think every college student is broke?
Pretty much. I also understand that the .edu in question must be qualified because it doesn't make any sense to grant access to a student body that lives entirely in off-campus housing.

26,462 Posts

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Many of these rumors about new bidders for Sunday Ticket probably originate with the NFL. The bidding is stalled at least in part because of what they are trying to peddle - a swiss-cheese slate of games where viewers can't be sure of which games they will be able to watch. An example is last Sunday's featured game between the Rams and Chiefs, which was carried on local TV in most of the country. Only viewers in the LA and KC markets got to see the start of the game, which was overrun by "bonus coverage" everywhere else. DirecTV would normally unblock the Sunday Ticket channel, but in this case they didn't. They were either asleep on the job or they didn't have anyone monitoring over the holiday weekend.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
When did "people familiar with" become the new citation?
That has been the citation for MOST of the stories about the future of Sunday Ticket. So ... 18 months? Longer?

The other increasingly common citation is some other speculative news story or blog.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Sunday Ticket will stay with DIRECTV for 6 more weeks. And then?
Your little birdie will be done singing.

If you are willing to make a prediction BEYOND the end of the season do so.
Otherwise vague statements are just trolling.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
Sunday Ticket will stay with DIRECTV for 6 more weeks. And then?
Your little birdie will be done singing.

If you are willing to make a prediction BEYOND the end of the season do so.
Otherwise vague statements are just trolling.
Everyone here thinks some streaming company is going to jump at Sunday Ticket. But Not One of them has yet. One of the richest companies in the world which is Apple has even said not so fast. So until then anyone posting here still has nothing but just blah blah blah.

· Registered
197 Posts
Everyone here thinks some streaming company is going to jump at Sunday Ticket. But Not One of them has yet. One of the richest companies in the world which is Apple has even said not so fast. So until then anyone posting here still has nothing but just blah blah blah.
But we do know something, DirecTV choose not to bid on it anymore, so the likelihood of it staying with them is almost zero.

I also believe the NFL will not get even near their asking price, DirecTV overpaid by a lot, especially since right around the same time, they started losing subs in big numbers ( over 10 million gone on the Satellite side).

I believe the final price will be closer to the $1.5 Billion range and the NFL will make up some story why it is not $2.5-3 Billion.

But it will go to a Streaming Service because they are the only ones bidding on it, no Dish, Comcast, Charter, etc, not one Traditional Provider.

26,462 Posts
DIRECTV has the package right now. No streaming service has stepped up to the plate and signed for it yet now have they? Well have they? No!
The more important issue that you seem to be ignoring is that DIRECTV has made it abundantly clear that they are stepping out at the end of this season.

26,462 Posts
That has been the citation for MOST of the stories about the future of Sunday Ticket..
Its use isn't limited to coverage of the NFLST negotiations. The quotes are typically intended to be underhanded and should be presented as such.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Its use isn't limited to coverage of the NFLST negotiations. The quotes are typically intended to be underhanded and should be presented as such.
The point is that you do not need to leave this thread/topic to find "people familiar with" being a source ... and this thread/topic has been going on for a long time.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
I believe the final price will be closer to the $1.5 Billion range and the NFL will make up some story why it is not $2.5-3 Billion.
I'd consider less than $2 billion to be a failure. Every renewal with DIRECTV over the years has been higher than the previous contract. Accepting the same price in a new contract with any distributor would be a failure.

But it will go to a Streaming Service because they are the only ones bidding on it, no Dish, Comcast, Charter, etc, not one Traditional Provider.
It is also the specification the NFL has set. They want a streaming provider. They could have let DIRECTV add Sunday Ticket to DIRECTV Stream but they also want more money - and DIRECTV didn't want to pay more for those rights.

I believe the NFL will do whatever they can to get a $3 billion deal. What they cannot do is undercut the exclusive deals they have already signed with other distributors (CBS, Fox, NBC, ESPN, Amazon, etc). If Apple wants something that has already been sold to someone else that is a show stopper. What they can do is include the library content and allow a streamer to build a "one year of access to football" package that is worth fans paying full price for.

1301 - 1320 of 1567 Posts