DBSTalk Forum banner
1321 - 1340 of 1567 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,463 Posts
They want a streaming provider.
I bet they would have been satisfied if DIRECTV had renewed with their exceedingly limited streaming availability.

Given that the high bids have come with some fairly paradoxical conditions, I expect that the NFL is going to get less than $2.5 billion.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
The NFL has made it abundantly clear that they only want to deal with one company. Inventing nonsense terms like "co-exclusive" isn't going to make it fly.
By the way I did not “invent” that term “co-exclusive” I read it in an article about DIRECTV possibly reaching out to the winning bidder to have that sort of arrangement where they could keep the package for people who don’t have reliable internet service yet.

26,463 Posts
The point is that you do not need to leave this thread/topic to find "people familiar with" being a source ... and this thread/topic has been going on for a long time.
That's not the point at all. My question was when did it replace anonymous sources? My question is independent of the NFLST negotiations unless the answer is the NFLST negotiations.

· Cool Member/Supporter
344 Posts
The often-quoted phrase that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Maybe it should be changed to posting the same news over and over and expecting arguing about what it means over and over and expecting a different result.

No one knows, at least no one on this board knows. Most of the news is simply a regurgitation of old stories asking what is taking so long and people speculating about it.

I have DirecTV and Sunday Ticket and will have both until the current season is complete. I'll worry who has the Ticket in September 2023.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
That's not the point at all. My question was when did it replace anonymous sources? My question is independent of the NFLST negotiations unless the answer is the NFLST negotiations.
Ok .. so the answer is "years ago". Not a recent occurrence.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
I have DirecTV and Sunday Ticket and will have both until the current season is complete. I'll worry who has the Ticket in September 2023.
Yep ... six more weeks of service and several months before anyone needs to know who has it next. No requirement that a deal be cut by any arbitrary deadline set by anyone here (or on the speculation "news" sites).

26,463 Posts
Maybe it should be changed to posting the same news over and over and expecting arguing about what it means over and over and expecting a different result.
This thread isn't the guilty party in that. The rebloggers are largely responsible (though in some cases, it is the major new outlets and Roger Goodell himself) for stirring the pot just because they are getting pressure to produce.
No one knows, at least no one on this board knows.
That's not a fair statement. Some group of people does know. Those who do know and are respectful of the process will not share what they know (even under the guise of anonymity).
I'll worry who has the Ticket in September 2023.
The magical part of this is that you probably won't have to "worry" unless you're currently involved in a long term commitment with DIRECTV. Whomever does carry NFLST will almost certainly be eminently more "available" than DIRECTV.

To my mind the only real worry is how well designed and implemented the product is when the season begins in earnest.

· Registered
197 Posts
By the way I did not “invent” that term “co-exclusive” I read it in an article about DIRECTV possibly reaching out to the winning bidder to have that sort of arrangement where they could keep the package for people who don’t have reliable internet service yet.
What DirecTV wants to do is the point, for whoever gets the contract, what would they want to do.

Second, how would DirecTV know how fast everyone’s Broadband is?

Do they look at a map and say that person lives out in the country, their broadband must suck.

I live in a rural area yet I get 1g down, again, how would DirecTV know that.

· Registered
1,330 Posts
What DirecTV wants to do is the point, for whoever gets the contract, what would they want to do.

Do they look at a map and say that person lives out in the country, their broadband must suck.

Good Question. I have no idea. All I know is my area here in Extreme Rural Mississippi does not have it. There are roads here that are still gravel if that tells ya anything. Not even Black Top.

· Registered
197 Posts
Good Question. I have no idea. All I know is my area here in Extreme Rural Mississippi does not have it. There are roads here that are still gravel if that tells ya anything. Not even Black Top.
And then that proves it, all that **** you have been posting about inside info and a little birdie told you that ST will be staying with DirecTV is just fake.

These are answers that someone with inside knowledge would have, but it was just made up by you.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
And then that proves it, all that **** you have been posting about inside info and a little birdie told you that ST will be staying with DirecTV is just fake.

These are answers that someone with inside knowledge would have, but it was just made up by you.
You are just now figuring that out? 🤣

· Registered
11,428 Posts
I'd consider less than $2 billion to be a failure. Every renewal with DIRECTV over the years has been higher than the previous contract. Accepting the same price in a new contract with any distributor would be a failure.
The current deal with Directv was for $1.5 billion a year, so getting $2 billion in the next one would still be an increase from the previous contract.

26,463 Posts
The current deal with Directv was for $1.5 billion a year, so getting $2 billion in the next one would still be an increase from the previous contract.
It is an increase, but is it what the NFL wants? The buzz was that the NFL was going to be asking $2 billion or more of DIRECTV.

· Godfather
1,020 Posts

Who knows? Right now the reverse situation exists. You can buy ST as a streaming service only from Directv by entering your address and they magically know you can't get Directv service at that address.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Arial photos of any valid address are easy to find. And if the address has ever had DIRECTV satellite it is a big indicator that satellite is possible from an address. It is not an uninformed guess.

26,463 Posts
Knowing an address CAN get Directv is one thing...knowing it CAN'T is totally different.
In that it was probably a token gesture to get some element (either the NFL or potential customers who couldn't use satellite) off their backs, it was offered as an option. Not a very certain option, but a glimmer of hope that an XXL pizza dish wasn't going to be required.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts
Knowing an address CAN get Directv is one thing...knowing it CAN'T is totally different.
They start with the assumption that every address CAN get DIRECTV. It isn't as easy as submitting an address and getting access.

I was referring to the first level of elimination. If they "know" and address can get satellite there is no need to look at the situation any further.

1321 - 1340 of 1567 Posts