DBSTalk Forum banner
1541 - 1560 of 1567 Posts

· AllStar
116 Posts
Trying to remember the "Scud Studs" name from the Gulf war.
Saw him literally dive off a platform to the ground and run like hell from an incoming Scud missile.
Think his first name was Arthur and maybe an NBC reporter?

· Go Pack Go!!!!
2,805 Posts
Trying to remember the "Scud Studs" name from the Gulf war.
Saw him literally dive off a platform to the ground and run like hell from an incoming Scud missile.
Think his first name was Arthur and maybe an NBC reporter?
Yes- Arthur Kent. I remember those days well!

· Mentor
55 Posts
I will look around but there is no service that gives me all what I want better than DirecTV. Yes, their service is pricey, their DVRs are getting long in the tooth, but it works well for me.
Certainly, that may change prior to next football season but I have time to look around and make an informed choice.
And, I will absolutely pay for Sunday Ticket.
Same. Been with DTV for over 20 years. Love the simplicity of just going directly to the channel I want without issue, a convenience I happily pay for. I will do stand-alone ST next year via YouTube. My dream is they’ll offer an option where you purchase a teams games vs the entire schedule but I doubt it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
1,163 Posts
One advantage of getting NFLST with YouTube TV that I'm looking forward to is being able to DVR every game. With DirecTV, I could only record as many games as I had available tuners on the DVRs. I also won't have to shuffle other programming on Sunday evenings to work around recording conflicts, since there is no limit to how many programs can be recorded at the same time.

In the 6 days I've had YTTV, I've barely noticed the lack of channel numbers in the guide. I have all of the channels arranged so that the ones we watch are at or near the top of the list, and pressing the down arrow while watching a program displays recently watched channels. Also, I can access both live and recorded programs from any of my devices, unlike DirecTV. In addition, I have full access to all of the channels and full DVR functionality from any device. The current DirecTV mobile app doesn't have any DVR functionality and is missing some of the channels, and the old app didn't allow fast-forwarding through commercials. On the whole, I have found Youtube TV superior to DirecTV, and at a much lower cost.

· AllStar
234 Posts
One advantage of getting NFLST with YouTube TV that I'm looking forward to is being able to DVR every game. With DirecTV, I could only record as many games as I had available tuners on the DVRs. I also won't have to shuffle other programming on Sunday evenings to work around recording conflicts, since there is no limit to how many programs can be recorded at the same time.

In the 6 days I've had YTTV, I've barely noticed the lack of channel numbers in the guide. I have all of the channels arranged so that the ones we watch are at or near the top of the list, and pressing the down arrow while watching a program displays recently watched channels. Also, I can access both live and recorded programs from any of my devices, unlike DirecTV. In addition, I have full access to all of the channels and full DVR functionality from any device. The current DirecTV mobile app doesn't have any DVR functionality and is missing some of the channels, and the old app didn't allow fast-forwarding through commercials. On the whole, I have found Youtube TV superior to DirecTV, and at a much lower cost.
YTTV is a really good product. However, they don't carry my local RSNs, so it's a non-starter for me.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,549 ·

I'm pretty sure (though I haven't had Stream for awhile) DirecTV Stream app allows DVR recording (though I don't think I used the mobile app, I just don't like watching more than a short YouTube video on my phone). If you compare DirecTV Stream (but not the mobile app), I like Stream much better, and I've tried both.

· Registered
1,163 Posts
DirecTV st
I'm pretty sure (though I haven't had Stream for awhile) DirecTV Stream app allows DVR recording (though I don't think I used the mobile app, I just don't like watching more than a short YouTube video on my phone). If you compare DirecTV Stream (but not the mobile app), I like Stream much better, and I've tried both.
DirecTV Stream is probably a good choice for those who need the local RSN. I can do without the RSN since I follow an out-of-market MLB team. The deciding factor for me in choosing YTTV is having DVR functionality for NFLST. As to mobile devices, I agree that phones are not optimal, but I have a 12.4" Samsung tablet that is pretty good for watching TV. With YTTV, I can turn the TV over to my wife in the evening and still watch sports events on my tablet with full DVR functionality. That's a big improvement over what I had with the DirecTV satellite service.

· Registered
6,568 Posts
DirecTV Stream is probably a good choice for those who need the local RSN............. The deciding factor for me in choosing YTTV is having DVR functionality for NFLST. As to mobile devices, I agree that phones are not optimal, but I have a 12.4" Samsung tablet that is pretty good for watching TV.
If you compare DirecTV Stream to YTTB, it isn't even close. I could do the higher price, but I need unlimited DVR. 20 hours is a decent week for the family. Some will get watched, some deleted later, but I have it.

I do like the concept of DirecTV Stream in that it more closely mimics a traditional Sat/Cable box, but I am getting used to the Roku remote.

We are doing 100% YTTV this week (did have to jump over to DirecTV to watch one recorded program) as a trial run. If we make it through, DirecTV will be suspended for 3 months to give us time to get moved. If the new house has enough internet capacity to run YTTV, then I will drop DirecTV after over 28 years.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
If you compare DirecTV Stream to YTTB, it isn't even close. I could do the higher price, but I need unlimited DVR. 20 hours is a decent week for the family. Some will get watched, some deleted later, but I have it.
When did DIRECTV STREAM do away the unlimited DVR?

Edit: They do have unlimited DVR.

Font Rectangle Brand Paper product Paper

· Registered
1,163 Posts
The DirecTV stream package that includes RSNs is $99.99, or $25 more than the base package price of $74.99, contrary to the claim that RSNs are included "at no extra cost". That package includes some other channels as well, but it's still a lot more than the base package. Still a much better deal than the satellite service if you need RSNs.

· Super Moderator
54,190 Posts

View attachment 32794
Definition of unlimited:

New online DIRECTV STREAM customers only. Data connection req’d. Recordings expire after 9 months. In a series recording, max 30 episodes stored (oldest deleted first which may be in less than 9 months). Restrictions apply.

So the limits are 9 months or thirty episodes per series and the bigger limit is new customers only. Cancel your account and you two can be new, but it seems to be a silly game to play.

· Registered
197 Posts
The DirecTV stream package that includes RSNs is $99.99, or $25 more than the base package price of $74.99, contrary to the claim that RSNs are included "at no extra cost". That package includes some other channels as well, but it's still a lot more than the base package. Still a much better deal than the satellite service if you need RSNs.
Including RSNs are just not that big of a deal anymore, they will soon all go bye bye .

With the Bally news today, they will just be the first with others soon going the same route, with way too expensive sports tv rights and a lot less people paying the per sub fee, they are not too long for the world.

For example, 9 years ago, 100 million households were paying for Live TV, pretty much the vast majority paying for the RSNs.

Now today, about 68 Million pay for Live TV ( and the includes YTTV and the likes) but Dish (7 million), Sling (2 million), YTTV ( roughly 6 million) and Hulu Live (4 million), so 19 million do not pay the per sub fee, so only about 49 million pay the per sub fee.

· Registered
6,568 Posts

View attachment 32794
Seems it was a limit at one point. When I was looking at all the options, most of the comparison sites listed Stream as having a 20 hour DVR. Looks like it still exists:

For TV series recordings:

• Customers with 20 hours of Cloud DVR storage are allowed a maximum of 10 episodes per TV series.
  • Customers with Unlimited Cloud DVR storage are allowed a maximum of 30 episodes per TV series.

But now I am going to have to take a closer look at Stream. Price would be a little higher than YTTV so it will all depend on how good the device is.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
Yes they used to have that 20 hour limit. If you sign up use an email that is different from your DirecTV account as a NEW customer and you will get unlimited DVR and 20 in home streams. It does have the time limit (9 months) and number of episode limit (30) but they are fairly reasonable.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,559 ·
Including RSNs are just not that big of a deal anymore, they will soon all go bye bye .

With the Bally news today, they will just be the first with others soon going the same route, with way too expensive sports tv rights and a lot less people paying the per sub fee, they are not too long for the world.

For example, 9 years ago, 100 million households were paying for Live TV, pretty much the vast majority paying for the RSNs.

Now today, about 68 Million pay for Live TV ( and the includes YTTV and the likes) but Dish (7 million), Sling (2 million), YTTV ( roughly 6 million) and Hulu Live (4 million), so 19 million do not pay the per sub fee, so only about 49 million pay the per sub fee.
Wrong....they are NOT going bye-bye. They are declaring bankruptcy because they are trying to restructure their debt. They might (will?) renegotiate contracts with various teams, they may drop a few teams if they cannot renegotiate. This happens all the time in business. Bankruptcy doesn't mean they go belly up, but, everyone hears that term and thinks that. Teams will have to decide what they want to do now. Do they rework deals for less? Do they find another way to show games? Do they just not show the games at all? It's quite possible that fans get the short end of the stick, but it might not even be anything that fans notice is some markets.

Now, will RSNs exist like they do now in 5 years? I doubt it. In 10 years, almost definitely no. But this bankruptcy is not the end of even the Bally RSNs. At least not yet.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,560 ·
Seems it was a limit at one point. When I was looking at all the options, most of the comparison sites listed Stream as having a 20 hour DVR. Looks like it still exists:

But now I am going to have to take a closer look at Stream. Price would be a little higher than YTTV so it will all depend on how good the device is.
I signed up with Steam at least 18 months ago, which was right after they went to unlimited DVR and 20 streams (without that I never would have). I'm back with Satellite for reasons I have gone through numerous times on the forum, but I thought the service was reasonably solid, though still needed a bit of work and a few missing channels. It was (for my purposes) better than YTTV when I tried that for a couple of weeks.

1541 - 1560 of 1567 Posts