DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Say good-bye to your VCR.

A new type of DVD recorder announced by Sony Monday is the beginning of the end for traditional VHS videotapes.

Sales of DVD players have already outstripped the aging VHS format, but most folks who own DVD players still have VCRs, too. That's because DVD recorders have posed two problems. Different recorders use different types of discs, so you can't be sure your recorded DVDs will work in someone else's player. And the darn things have been stratospherically expensive.

That doesn't mean people don't lust after DVD recorders. Recording on disc means crisp digital formats that don't stretch and degrade over time like a VCR tape. A DVD recorder in a PC gives you 4.7 gigabytes of space on every disc, a huge improvement over the 700 megabytes on most CDs.

Full Story

· Icon/Supporter
1,227 Posts
That silly article doesn't say what format the sony recorder supports.... It hints all except DVD-RAM, but doesn't actually say this.

I'm really anxious for the Blue-Ray - the larger storage will really make VCRs look geriatric.

· Icon
884 Posts
Seems pretty clear David, that DVD-RAM (and my Panasonic DMR-E20) is pretty much left out in the cold. Frankly, I think it's a smart move on Sony's part. Now...where's the standalone recorder?:D

· Icon/Supporter
627 Posts
Originally posted by David_Levin
That silly article doesn't say what format the sony recorder supports.... It hints all except DVD-RAM, but doesn't actually say this.
Check this. In DVD war, Sony takes sides--both It talks about home products near the end of the article.

In yesterdays Ultimate Electronics sale flyer, they now have 4 different models of DVD recorders. Ranged from $499 to $1399.

823 Posts
Sony hinted last year that their stand alone DVD would do both +RW and -RW. The hi definition VHS recorder is now at $899. Those tapes will store 44 GB. Its the only came in town if your waiting on Blue laser. Something else could pop up in red laser

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.