DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a pretty good 22+ years with DirecTV. Both of us retired, now. Close-to-fixed incomes. Smaller tastes, as well. Tired of negotiating a year's worth of discounts requiring a two-year contract. Called the mothership on Monday and signed off.

We experimented over the weekend with Playstation Vue and Sling on our AppleTV. Fine PQ from Vue along with all but 2 of our regular channels in their smaller package. Sling had one of those - BloombergTV is ab't 95% of our viewing between daybreak and evening - with the exception of proper football from Europe and the UK. Sling offers the full-screen view w/crawl and rolling sidebar - both absent from the app. A couple of other tidbits made Sling the 2nd add to Vue.

The tab for the two is about one-third of our latest undiscounted D* monthly bill. NO CONTRACT. The Cloud DVR in Vue works well enough. Saving enough to pay my Medigap insurance. :-]

We'll try DirecTV NOW when they get a DVR. And if they offer the screen version of Bloomberg instead of the App.

I'll miss the crew, here and those who've wandered elsewhere.

·
Premium Member
25,275 Posts
Been a pretty good 22+ years with DirecTV. Both of us retired, now. Close-to-fixed incomes. Smaller tastes, as well. Tired of negotiating a year's worth of discounts requiring a two-year contract. Called the mothership on Monday and signed off.

We experimented over the weekend with Playstation Vue and Sling on our AppleTV. Fine PQ from Vue along with all but 2 of our regular channels in their smaller package. Sling had one of those - BloombergTV is ab't 95% of our viewing between daybreak and evening - with the exception of proper football from Europe and the UK. Sling offers the full-screen view w/crawl and rolling sidebar - both absent from the app. A couple of other tidbits made Sling the 2nd add to Vue.

The tab for the two is about one-third of our latest undiscounted D* monthly bill. NO CONTRACT. The Cloud DVR in Vue works well enough. Saving enough to pay my Medigap insurance. :-]

We'll try DirecTV NOW when they get a DVR. And if they offer the screen version of Bloomberg instead of the App.

I'll miss the crew, here and those who've wandered elsewhere.
You don't have to leave us!!! Hey I hope it goes well for you. :)

·
Hall Of Fame
5,391 Posts
BloombergTV is ab't 95% of our viewing between daybreak and evening
If you're an investor the scrolling side bar is nice, but you can easily setup alerts for the companies you're interested in so you don't have to wait for it to cycle around. Their on screen quotes are delayed anyway because CNBC still has the exclusive rights to real time tickers.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you're an investor the scrolling side bar is nice, but you can easily setup alerts for the companies you're interested in so you don't have to wait for it to cycle around. Their on screen quotes are delayed anyway because CNBC still has the exclusive rights to real time tickers.
Love the crawl and sidebar because investors need real news and I'm a news junkie, anyway.

Handle investing slow and patiently, my own research mostly, through many sources. Get real-time quotes through my broker's website.

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
We recently disconnected the DirecTV (satellite) cord as well.

We found we were watching more local channels than anything so bought a Tablo to go with our Apple TV's. We did subscribe to the Go Big package with DirecTV Now. We had to reconfigure our internet provider and move some other items around, but saving around $135 a month (all of which will go for my new truck payment....).

The only thing we're missing is the DVR function for the OTT channels (Tablo has DVR for OTA).

I enjoyed the satellite service and the technology that went along with it, but they kept increasing my bill annually for essentially nothing more in return. When the $35/mo Go Big package expires, we'll check our options with Sling/PS Vue/etc. Competition is a good thing.

·
Icon
1,549 Posts
Anybody know what resolution/s you get with Vue?

Rich
720p 60fps....at least on a gen 2 FireTV box, and the channels that I checked although I did not check them all.

·
Icon
1,549 Posts
The box itself supports up to 4k UHD. The question was about PSVue on the FireTV box.
For me 720p 60fps is fine for what I use PSVue to view. I do not use it for movies. Honestly, on my direct view displays (I have ones from 40" to 60") at normal viewing distance I cannot discern 720p from 1080p so 720p is fine for me. We watch all our movies on our 120" screen font projection system. On that I can absolutely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. So we watch all our movies on that system in 1080p. But like I said, I don't use PSVue for watching movies.

·
Icon
1,549 Posts
Huh. That box doesn't upscale to 1080p? I don't have one, I've got three FTV3 boxes. I'll have to try them.

Rich
What is a FTV3 box? AFAIK, the FireTV box comes in gen 1 and gen 2. I was not aware that the gen 3 FireTV boxes were available yet.

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
What is a FTV3 box? AFAIK, the FireTV box comes in gen 1 and gen 2. I was not aware that the gen 3 FireTV boxes were available yet.
You're right. I could have sworn there were at least 3 iterations of the FTV box. OK, I have three FTV2s. And they pale in comparison to the ATV4s we have. I am awaiting the FTV3 which should have about the same specs as the latest top of the line Rokus.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
You're right. I could have sworn there were at least 3 iterations of the FTV box. OK, I have three FTV2s. And they pale in comparison to the ATV4s we have. I am awaiting the FTV3 which should have about the same specs as the latest top of the line Rokus.

Rich
Rather than just edit another of my mistakes I'll take this opportunity to say I have 3 FTV1 boxes.

Geese.

Rich

·
Hall Of Fame
6,099 Posts
Join the crowd! I'm closing on my new house Thursday, and then it is "brand new house, brand new stuff" mode! Other than a couple beds, my Sharp 4K and some odds and ends, everything in the house will be new by the time I get moved into it. Because of the changes I want made in the house and the ordering/fullfillment delays along the way, I figure it will be about a month before I'm moved in.

Internet service is one of the issues. Right now the only internet is either Wisper wireless or satellite internet, neither all that wonderful. BUT, they are stuffing cable in the ground for Mediacom but no one at Mediacom has a clue about when it goes live, even though some houses in the subdivision have gotten door tags telling them to call for connection. No one that has tried has been successful in getting it done yet as far as I've been able to determine.

If I go Wisper and it is rock solid, it might be almost good enough as long as I don't want to stream 4K. That's because their fastest offering is 20Mbps. Installation costs are sliding scale depending on whether you want a contract or not. Sigh.... Just another irritant on the long irritating road that is buying a house with a mortgage. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 100 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.