DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Legend
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Dish basically got quiet when I challenged them to come up with a serious response to the issues I raised. Not even a "well we really do care about customer service" response.

So I called up DirecTV and made up some totally bogus statements about their H20 unit and observed the response. Oh my god, I had forgotten how good customer service could be.

So I'm stuck on Dish until DirecTV is installed... but I'm done here. Best of luck with those of you that put up with E* horrible customer service.

· Legend
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh yeah, and D* with HD and two receivers is $66 a month.

That's what I'm paying E* now for a single SD receiver, with less channels. In particular, I'm glad to get Versus which Dish has always put in their super-high-priced package.

· Hall Of Fame
1,355 Posts
See ya! Don't the the door hit ya where the good lord split ya!
I personally don't have a problem with Dish, nor have I never had a customer service problem. At least not enough to try and give a multi-billion dollar company an ultimatum with my $70 something a month bill.:rolleyes:
Good luck with the other guys, since they are so known for their high class and competent customer service!!! :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, and Direct has what, 1/3 of the HD channels that Dish has???

· Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
I'm moving to a different area. I called into to the standard CSR's and they told me since I was on the 18 month commitment for my 622 that it was impossible to put my account on hold until I get new place and running again. They put me in the the lowest price HD pack. That was going to cost me almost $60 per month. I contacted [email protected]. Told them what was going on and they emailed back no problem we will put you on hold. Call us when you want it hooked up again. Now my bill shows that E* owes me almost $30. I think it is just knowing who to talk to. BTW as I have said before CSR stands for Can be Seriously Retarded. As far as D* being better w/customer service my brother would tell you other wise. He has had as much problems w/ them as any here has had w/E*. :lol:

· Legend
162 Posts
As a recent D* convert I have to say I'm enjoying E* much more. I don't notice any difference in technical support... they're both pretty bad, but once in a while you do find one that knows what he's talking about.

But E*'s equipment is much more stable and mature than D*'s when it comes to DVRs because D* is dropping TiVo and coming out with their own DVRs. I had an R15 and it was ridiculously bad. I'm hearing better things about their HR20, but looks like it still has a lot of serious issues.

I love the VIP 622. It's got its own issues, but nothing major and certainly nothing that interrupts my viewing pleasure (My R15 would constantly miss recording shows, would crash in the middle of viewing a show, or the remote will respond to you a minute later).

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
What I find most amusing here.... is he is complaining about some mysterious problems he has with Dish that they won't solve... but he calls DirecTV and admittedly makes up a bunch of stuff (lies) to them.... so how exactly does this make him a good customer? Maybe he has been less than truthful with Dish as well.

· Child of the 60's
3,127 Posts
whatchel1 said:
... BTW as I have said before CSR stands for Can be Seriously Retarded. ...
Yeah, and I have a hunch you wear your attitude on your sleeve whenever you're dealing with customer service staff. After all, you pay their salary. Right?? I'm sure you won't be too surprised that most customer service systems have the capability for CSRs to record notes on their transactions with customers so they can identify folks who are a challenge to deal with.

I rarely have problems with my service and when I do, the CSRs I deal with usually do a good job of taking care of the problem. Working within their system is a lot better than treating them like idiots and trying to throw your weight around.

John

· Icon
522 Posts
Ahhhhhhh.

he must have a 510 that crashes if you program it to record while it is recording and he is watching something he recorded.

CSRs can't help--it just can't reliably do that.

bob

· Legend
115 Posts
Funny...I'm with E* because of how bad the D* customer service was/is. So all I got to say is "good luck"!! I'd be interested to see if his D* instlaler shows up. Mine has NEVER shown up on time and the last one I had to deal with showed up 6 hours late (9pm) and then claimed no-line of site. Funny that E* sure had no problem!! hehe

· Icon
1,025 Posts
I don't know about other people but I rarely have occasion to call Customer Service. This just isn't a big part of my Dish experience. I ordered a 622. It arrived. It was installed on schedule. I had one call to a CSR regarding a problem. They put me over to the tech support and he solved the problem. I will call a CSR in January to switch my old HD service to one of the new packs. I think I may average 2-3 calls a year. I am not in favor of price increase but they happen. Not as bad as Comcast and I love my 622. CSRs don't really enter the decision equation IMHO.

..Doyle

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,472 Posts
jorhett said:
Oh yeah, and D* with HD and two receivers is $66 a month.

That's what I'm paying E* now for a single SD receiver, with less channels.
If you're paying $66, I assume that you're getting AT180 and a premium channel and maybe DHPP. With D*, I'm assuming that you're getting TC+ and a premium (after any promotional rubbish). I can't imagine that you're getting a higher channel count with TC+ than with AT180. Is it just the combination of channels that makes D* better for you?

How do you feel about the 12 month programming commitment?

26,472 Posts
bderouen said:
Funny...I'm with E* because of how bad the D* customer service was/is. So all I got to say is "good luck"!! I'd be interested to see if his D* instlaler shows up. Mine has NEVER shown up on time and the last one I had to deal with showed up 6 hours late (9pm) and then claimed no-line of site. Funny that E* sure had no problem!! hehe
Individual experiences differ. A co-worker of mine is currently going through something similar to your experience:

1. First installer shows up three weeks after initial D* call and says no way to a ground pole install.
2. DirecTV says that he must have his own ground pole installed and send them the invoice.
3. Pole is installed and cured
4. Calls DirecTV to get an install and they give him a date three weeks out.
5. Date comes around and nobody shows up. Voice says that seven of the installers didn't show up that day. Gives him a date a week away.
6. Who knows?

His friend, on the other hand, called last Tuesday and was given an install date of today. We'll see if they show up and do it.

Another coworker called Dish on the 18th and he had a ViP622 installed on the afternoon of the 19th.

· Hall Of Fame
2,114 Posts
DoyleS said:
II will call a CSR in January to switch my old HD service to one of the new packs.
You know you can keep your annual ATxxx now though - right? Just switch the $10 HD Pak to the $20 HD Pak after 1-Feb. You have a 30 day grace period after signing up for an annual to lock in current pricing, and still switch to take advantage of offers that are only available after 1-Feb.

If I understand the "DVR Advantage" right though, I expect to have to make at least 2-3 calls between 25-Jan and 10-Feb, plus one call on 10-Jan (1st day of my annual).

26,472 Posts
HDMe said:
... but he calls DirecTV and admittedly makes up a bunch of stuff (lies) to them.... so how exactly does this make him a good customer?
DirecTV defines a good customer as one that subscribes to $72.74/month in fees and services and pays their bill on time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.