DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I am a long time subscriber temporarily removed from DirecTV while our new home is being finished. Currently living in an apartment with Comcast cable (and all the fun that goes with it).

Here is my question: In the new house, we'll have three TV's. I'd like to install the HR34 in a wiring closet and put a C31 behind each TV for access. Will DirecTV charge me for all three C31's, or will they cut me a break on one of them seeing the HR34 will not be connected to a TV?

Regards,

Jim Metz

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
They will charge you for each receiver or client after the first one. The HR34 would be the first one (whether or not it is located at a tv location), so you will pay $6 per month for each of the three C31's

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
My H34 is going into a closet as well, but I'm gonna run a long HDMI from that to one of the TVs and only put C31s on the other TVs.

In your case, would make sense to run a cable from the closet from the H34 to one of your 3 TVs, then you just need two C31s. This will save you $99 up front buying one less C31, and will save you $6 each month from having that extra C31 active.

·
Cool Member
26 Posts
spartanstew said:
IMO, it makes even more sense to just put the HR34 at one of the TV locations instead of in the closet.

What's the benefit of putting it in the wiring closet?
Well, for us, the 'advantage' is that we don't have any components (or furniture to hide them) around where the TV is on the wall. Basically we put all the eqiupment in the closet to keep the visible install minimal (ie just the TV hanging neatly on the wall).

I'd think this is more an more common, but do think its wasteful to have a headless HR34 in the closet. Given the fees it makes sense for that to drive a TV, but it doesn't have to be right at the TV location to do so.

·
Godfather
809 Posts
spartanstew said:
IMO, it makes even more sense to just put the HR34 at one of the TV locations instead of in the closet.

What's the benefit of putting it in the wiring closet?
Noise is a benefit. An HR34 + external RAID has a lot more noise than a C31 :)

I put our HR34+storage in the basement and a C31 where it used to be. The joy of silence.

Plus removing that heat from my rack keeps everything else in there cooler. The HR34 and RAID are no longer contained in a cabinet and are no doubt much cooler as well. Longer life; less likely to fail. Lower chance of losing lots of recorded programs...

In our house we still have a few analog 4:3 TVs that we don't use much. I used to have an H20 in the basement with a modulator and a Xantech IR-over-coax system. So I've just dumbed down the HR34 to 480i and hooked it up to the modulator and Xantech.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wanted to put the HR34 in a closet mainly to hide it from view. I want to keep the living room as clean looking at possible. The new house is wired for in-wall/ceiling speakers (whole other discussion there), so the only visible component I want to see is the TV itself. There is a bedroom closet right below the area in the living room where the TV will mount. I may just put the HR34 in the closet along with the A/V receiver and HTPC, and run an HDMI cable up to the TV. This would save me the charge for the third C31.

Now, if I can just find a wireless remote repeater system that will work with both the HR34 and a Denon A/V receiver. Any ideas?

·
Icon
1,549 Posts
I use a Harmony 900 in my home theater. It does both IR and RF and comes with an IR blaster. All my components are in a closet/room and out of site and the Harmony 900 works perfectly.

·
Legend
256 Posts
jdm3tz said:
I wanted to put the HR34 in a closet mainly to hide it from view. I want to keep the living room as clean looking at possible. The new house is wired for in-wall/ceiling speakers (whole other discussion there), so the only visible component I want to see is the TV itself. There is a bedroom closet right below the area in the living room where the TV will mount. I may just put the HR34 in the closet along with the A/V receiver and HTPC, and run an HDMI cable up to the TV. This would save me the charge for the third C31.

Now, if I can just find a wireless remote repeater system that will work with both the HR34 and a Denon A/V receiver. Any ideas?
I put all of my components into a closet about 18 months ago and used a Logitech Harmony IR repeater to get the signal to the closet. Essentially all I have is an HDMI cable running in attic space from my Onkyo to wall jack behind TV along with a 3.5mm M/F headphone cable that connects to repeater placed above TV. Works perfectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.