DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installation scheduled for Friday. Install HR34, HR24, and 2 C31's.

Looking for recommendations on which TVs to place each piece of equipment. Plan to put HR34 in main living room where most TV is watched. Plan to put HR24 in main bedroom (second most used TV). Any pros/cons putting an HR24 in the bedroom vs a C31? Trying to consider response time, receiver noise, capabilities, etc.....other locations are in basement (infrequent viewing).

Thoughts.

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
unislick said:
Installation scheduled for Friday. Install HR34, HR24, and 2 C31's.

Looking for recommendations on which TVs to place each piece of equipment. Plan to put HR34 in main living room where most TV is watched. Plan to put HR24 in main bedroom (second most used TV). Any pros/cons putting an HR24 in the bedroom vs a C31? Trying to consider response time, receiver noise, etc.....other locations are in basement (infrequent viewing).

Thoughts.

Thanks
I think the C31 is a disappointment. It robs a tuner from the HR34, has no disk space of its own, can only see the HR34 and its playlist, and will not see the the other HR DVRs. I know the C31 will do so called "trick play" but you can duplicate that on any of the other DVRs by pressing the record button on the remote.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been told the C31 can access recordings from both the HR34 and the HR24? The whole reason why I am getting another DVR.

Has anyone had success accessing multiple DVR recordings from the C31?

Side note...pressing record doesn't enable you to rewind live TV.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
macfan601 said:
I think the C31 is a disappointment. It robs a tuner from the HR34, has no disk space of its own, can only see the HR34 and its playlist, and will not see the the other HR DVRs. I know the C31 will do so called "trick play" but you can duplicate that on any of the other DVRs by pressing the record button on the remote.
You are wrong in one aspect: My C31 sees and plays recordings from my HR24 too.
I have yet to find I don't have a tuner available to use my C31.
Yes it does use a tuner from the HR34, but that means I don't have to do anything ahead of time to "simply pause" live TV, so for me the C31 is merely a remote extension of my HR34.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
unislick said:
I have been told the C31 can access recordings from both the HR34 and the HR24? The whole reason why I am getting another DVR.

Has anyone had success accessing multiple DVR recordings from the C31?

Side note...pressing record doesn't enable you to rewind live TV.
I have read differently. I am not sure what exactly the purpose of the C31 is for the consumer other than to rob a tuner from a HR34 and use its disk space. I know the purpose for Directv. It is cheaper to manufacture because it lacks tuners and a hard drive. Getting another DVR seems a lot better deal to me. It is beyond me why anybody would want to give up a tuner and disk space. I am looking into adding a RAID box to my HR34 and putting a couple of 3 or 4 TB drives in it to get even more disk space and a backup.

Think about what you just said on rewinding live TV. If I have it recorded I can do anything I want with it. Your comment is assuming I didn't start the recording before the program began. How do you think the Dish Hopper is doing its tricks on network TV? It can do that because it is always recording network stations in the background.

BTW, the C31 isn't officially out yet, although there is someone selling them on eBay. Directv is "supposed" to release it sometime this week. So nobody can really answer your question as to whether a C31 will see DVRs other than a HR34. And LOL, my advise on any info from a Directv CSR based on experience is to "trust but verify".
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
macfan601 said:
I have read differently. I am not sure what [I'm talking about as I don't have one]
BTW, the C31 isn't officially out yet, So nobody can really answer your question as to whether a C31 will see DVRs other than a HR34. And LOL, my advise on any info from a Directv CSR based on experience is to "trust but verify".
May I say how mine does work?
Yes I do have one and have had it for a while.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
"macfan601" said:
So nobody can really answer your question as to whether a C31 will see DVRs other than a HR34. And LOL, my advise on any info from a Directv CSR based on experience is to "trust but verify".
I certainly trust what VOS says. He has experience with them. Now, a CSR may certainly give bad info, but it can't be said that no one can answer the question on interaction with other DVRs.
 

·
Legend
Joined
·
334 Posts
I agree with everyone else ! HR34 is great but when Dave wants to charge you the full amount as a second tuner and C31 is not a second tuner ! You can get devices that allow you to view the DVR else wer in your home ! for free ! your better off getting a real Tuner or just another DVR to your system
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
veryoldschool said:
You are wrong in one aspect: My C31 sees and plays recordings from my HR24 too.
I have yet to find I don't have a tuner available to use my C31.
Yes it does use a tuner from the HR34, but that means I don't have to do anything ahead of time to "simply pause" live TV, so for me the C31 is merely a remote extension of my HR34.
I think we are talking apples and oranges here. The C31 is only seeing the HR24 through being connected to the HR34. If you take the HR34 out of your system the C31 will not see the HR24 on its own.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
macfan601 said:
I think we are talking apples and oranges here. The C31 is only seeing the HR24 through being connected to the HR34. If you take the HR34 out of your system the C31 will not see the HR24 on its own.
The C31 is a RVU client to the HR34.
The C31 is useless on its own.
It can see recordings from other DVRs, which you said it couldn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I certainly trust what VOS says. He has experience with them. Now, a CSR may certainly give bad info, but it can't be said that no one can answer the question on interaction with other DVRs.
You may want to ask "VOS" how he has had one for some time as the C31 has not been officially released. I just verified that with Directv today. They are hoping to release it on Wednesday, but are giving no guarantees on that.
 

·
Cool Member
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I never brought up CSR's as my source. I have been reading extensively this forum and a very similar forum to learn about Directv as I have been a Dish customer for nearly 10 years and I am leaving to try Directv out for a couple years. I appreciate your opinions, but I prefer to focus on facts.

C31's have been in select markets for a couple weeks and that came from a Directv supervisor.

Now back to original intention of post...HR24 or C31 in second most viewing area which happens to be a bedroom?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
veryoldschool said:
The C31 is a RVU client to the HR34.
The C31 is useless on its own.
It can see recordings from other DVRs, which you said it couldn't.
And it can't on its own. It only can through the HR34. When I use a word, I mean for it to say exactly what it does. (From Alice in Wonderland)
 

·
Godfather
Joined
·
2,045 Posts
macfan601 said:
You may want to ask "VOS" how he has had one for some time as the C31 has not been officially released. I just verified that with Directv today. They are hoping to release it on Wednesday, but are giving no guarantees on that.
Someone has to beta test them. Apparently he is one of the testers.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
Rickt1962 said:
I agree with everyone else ! HR34 is great but when Dave wants to charge you the full amount as a second tuner and C31 is not a second tuner ! You can get devices that allow you to view the DVR else wer in your home ! for free ! your better off getting a real Tuner or just another DVR to your system
This has merit, but there are pros & cons with each.
I've changed from twin HR24s and a H25 to a HR24, HR34, & C31.
Tuner count wasn't ever a problem, and the C31 having just a bit more of a complete "Whole Home DVR" function is nice "for me".
Others might not find this to be the case.
 

·
Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,344 Posts
"unislick" said:
I never brought up CSR's as my source. I have been reading extensively this forum and a very similar forum to learn about Directv as I have been a Dish customer for nearly 10 years and I am leaving to try Directv out for a couple years. I appreciate your opinions, but I prefer to focus on facts.

C31's have been in select markets for a couple weeks and that came from a Directv supervisor.

Now back to original intention of post...HR24 or C31 in second most viewing area which happens to be a bedroom?
If there is a possibility that the HR34 will be recording 5 things and someone wants to watch live TV at the same time and not what is recording, it may be best to put the HR24 there. Otherwise, I'd go for the silent C31 myself.
 
1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top