DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My service is to be installed Tues 11/21. I intend to keep my cable internet, as DSL is not available at my location and dial-up isn't an option. What do I need to tell the installer to make sure that everything stays kosher? Also, will it be considered a custom install due to this? Any feedback would be great!

Thanks

Edit: Forgot to add that I'm in an apt, so major modifications aren't exactly easy.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,119 Posts
A few years ago, we did he same. I now just run the cable line straight to the cable modem, and use a wifi router (which is also because I have computers in different rooms), and have the D* line run over the existing cable in the house. I believe there are also diplexers that made it possible to have both cable and D* on the same physical cable, but I don't konw if the new signals still work that way.

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
IIRC... you are going to have some difficulty if you are using a 5LNB dish (HD-MPEG4s)... I think that the Cable-Internet wants to work in the same frequency range as the MPEG-4 SAT signals

·
Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
Yup, you cannot use a diplexer with a 5 lnb dish due to the downconversion frequenies....

A seperate line other then your cable internet will have to be run for an HD unit. If an HD dual tuner unit/dvr, then 2 lines will need to be ran....

·
Icon
3,065 Posts
make sure the D* installer runs a second line to the room where you have cable internet. and watch the instaler carefully sometime the cut off the internet connection . if they have to "wall fish" the line than they might charge you a custom install job but if i were you i would just run alother line your slf and just have it ready for the installer to run to the dish or multiswitch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.