DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Legend
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Cable Prep CPT-6590 because it was supposed to be the best and I was tired of braid being twisted all around the center conductor, etc. The problem is (atleast for the wire I use), it doesn't strip the jacket, only the center conductor strips nicely. Usually it makes a cut in the jacket but not deep enough. I know someone who does cable and they are using the CPT-1100 for RG7 & 11. I tried that one and it definetely stripped it but it seemed like maybe too much as it took most of the braid off. Im pissed because the CPT-6590 was $25 and is supposed to be for RG6 and 59. Anyone have any input?

·
Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts

This cheapie model is what I've used since the beginning. The blade depth is adjustable, which is important when using (or encountering) different types of cable. I actually carry two; one is setup for the cable I run, and one is set to cut deeper, when I run into Quad Shield or other thick-jacketed coax. A blast of spray paint helps tell them apart.

For bigger jobs where you have to make a bunch of jumpers or something, I use this:

Nothing is faster, but this tool won't hold up to being out in the rain or banged around too much, so it stays on the truck and only brought out when needed. Did I mention it was fast? And after you get used to using it, it makes perfect cuts, and never a shorted stinger.

·
Godfather
499 Posts
Are you spining 3/4 times clockwise AND 3/4 times counterclockwise. Wasn't in instructions (instructions?) that came with mine, but saw a video on connectors somewhere and it was like "Oh, I get it". Also mine strips RG6 and RG59 and I have to play with the little dial for different brands/types cable. Somewhere in the middle usually seems to make it happy.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
Just to be safe,

The above tool is great and I use them...save the spare blades that come with them. Get used to what a good cut looks like......esp don't short the stinger or cut too deeply at any segment

Then, try splicing with a carpet knife. These things are sharp and you will bleed if you don't watch what you are doing. But with skill you can splice everything. It is a good tool to have in the box and a valuable skill. Once you have done many with the carpet knife put it away. The above tool is fast neat, accurate and cheap..........now you will just know what to do when you don't have one.

Joe

·
Legend
124 Posts
hdtvfan0001 said:
...and everyone knows using a cheapie stripper is a big mistake... :D
Typically results in a disease or some kind of unpleasant Fatal Attraction type situation.

Not that I have ANY knowledge of that kind of thing whatsoever.

·
Registered
32,456 Posts
MrMojoJojo said:
Typically results in a disease or some kind of unpleasant Fatal Attraction type situation.

Not that I have ANY knowledge of that kind of thing whatsoever.
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

I've never even caught a cold stripping (cable)...but then, I never have used a cheaper stripper either - I prefer predictable results. :D

·
Hall Of Fame
3,071 Posts
Oh yeah!

Another extension of the professional appearance one wants to present is, ya know how in winter cutting cold UG cable is just hard to do? Well most folks keep the roll of cable near the heat or just push the ends up the exhaust to warm the stuff up.

No more of that for me! I got a lighter that not only heats the cable but..wait for it..........it shouts "gitter done" like the cable funny guy.

Cool, huh?

Joe

·
Icon
2,698 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.