DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Millenium Cable for our internet. As part of that setup, I receive their basic cable TV service as well. On my Sony KDF-E42A10 televsion, with the built in tuner, I receive my local channels and the digital SD and HD channels as well, all through the basic cable TV service. While that offers me the ability to simply view the local HD feeds, I can't record anything off them. We don't get our locals over D* yet.

My question is this...is there a way to feed those digital signals to the HR10 or eventually the HR20 as the "Off Air" channels? I've looked for a "Cable/Air" selection option in the menus and don't find that, so I assume it's not possible, but there are enough "techies" on here I thought someone might have figured something out. I also assume D* doesn't have that included figuring you aren't going to have cable tv since you have D*, but my situation has to be the same as others that use cable for internet and I'd prefer to go that route rather then an antenna if possible since no signal trouble occurs.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
If the ATSC tuner in your TV can tune to those digital channels, I think it's a definite possibility that it would work connecting the cable line to the OTA input on the HR20. Did you have to tell your TV to scan for the digital channels coming in from the cable line?

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the back of my TV there are two RF inputs...VHF/UHF and CABLE. With the cable plugged in, the TV on cable mode found them all when I did an autoprogram. So in that mode if I want to watch the digital signal of our NBC affiliate, ch10, I tune to 10.1 and up she comes. I tried simply plugging the cable into the off air input on the HR10 and then did a off air channel search and that didn't work. I haven't been able to try on the HR20 for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Hmm, if it doesn't work on the HR10, I'm not sure how good the chances are on the HR20. If your TV can tune to them with cable mode off and with it connected to the VHF/UHF input, it stands a better chance of working.

·
AllStar
56 Posts
luv2fly3 said:
My question is this...is there a way to feed those digital signals to the HR10 or eventually the HR20 as the "Off Air" channels? I've looked for a "Cable/Air" selection option in the menus and don't find that, so I assume it's not possible, but there are enough "techies" on here I thought someone might have figured something out.

Thanks!
Sorry but you can't do it... what you are getting from your cable company is called QAM, You can view it on your TV because your TV has a QAM tuner also (a lot of new ones do). Your HR20 does not have a QAM tuner (just ATSC).

·
AllStar
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
reh523 said:
Sorry but you can't do it... what you are getting from your cable company is called QAM, You can view it on your TV because your TV has a QAM tuner also (a lot of new ones do). Your HR20 does not have a QAM tuner (just ATSC).
AHHH. That makes sense. I figured there might be a technical difference that would make it not possible. Oh well....I guess an OTA antenna will be my alternative once the OTA tuner is activated on the HR20.....What a novel idea!! :lol:

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
I am a ISH sub so maybe I should not post. But I don't think that the D* receivers have QAM tuners that are necessary for cable signals. I believe that they have ATSC tuners for OTA reception only.

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
I think D problably doesn't want a 'cable' tuner in their box, why support the competition? My old SIR360 had 2 inputs (tv+cable). Don't think D will ever build another box that way...

·
Banned
614 Posts
luv2fly3 said:
I have Millenium Cable for our internet. As part of that setup, I receive their basic cable TV service as well. On my Sony KDF-E42A10 televsion, with the built in tuner, I receive my local channels and the digital SD and HD channels as well, all through the basic cable TV service. While that offers me the ability to simply view the local HD feeds, I can't record anything off them. We don't get our locals over D* yet.

My question is this...is there a way to feed those digital signals to the HR10 or eventually the HR20 as the "Off Air" channels? I've looked for a "Cable/Air" selection option in the menus and don't find that, so I assume it's not possible, but there are enough "techies" on here I thought someone might have figured something out. I also assume D* doesn't have that included figuring you aren't going to have cable tv since you have D*, but my situation has to be the same as others that use cable for internet and I'd prefer to go that route rather then an antenna if possible since no signal trouble occurs.

Thanks!
Newer ATSC tuners have QAM capability, usually after the year 2005. It's unlikely it does prior to a manufacter date of 2005. The tuner would specify if it's QAM capable. If it is QAM capable then you can get the Cable TV companies local HD programs (unscrambled) on your ATSC tuner.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.