DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Godfather
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Replacing all RG59 cable from your antenna with RG6 cable to your TV WILL improve your reception, particularly for ATSC channels.

2. OTA channels CAN be diplexed onto RG6 SAT cables if you diplex them AFTER the 6-in/8-out mutiplexor, and use a seperate diplexor for each room feed.

When I bought my house it had nothing but RG59 cable in it, although there were existing runs to almost every room I could access in a spacious attic.

I brought DirecTV with me to the house, and when needed I ran new RG6 cables to feed the direcTV receivers including a Hughes SD DVR with two sat inputs. In two bedrooms that only had one RG59 cable feeding them I successfully diplexed my OTA antenna signal with the SAT feed and ran it down the RG59 to feed Sony DirecTV receivers and OTA channels to the TVs there.

I bought a 32" HDTV two years ago, and discovered I could pull in most of the ATSC channels within 100 miles of me from my attic-mounted terrestrial antenna feeding RG59 cable to the HDTV.

As time went on, I have slowly replaced RG59 cables with RG6 cables. Today I went all the way to the antenna and replaced every RG59 cable along that path with an RG6 cable.

With each previous cable change I've re-scanned for channels. Any change to RG6 along the path from my TV to my antenna made only minor signal strength improvements, and found no new channels. With the attic change to ALL RG6 I did today, a new scan found CONSIDERABLE improvements in signal strength and two new HD channels.

My recent upgrade to DirecTV's HD package with one H20 and one HR20 meant no RG59 cable was supposed to be used for any HD SAT feed. It also replaced my old multiplexor with a new one that did not have an antenna-in jack. The installer claimed the higher frequencies/bandwidth from the HD dish would not allow my OTA antenna signal to be mutiplexed with it. After he left I ignored his advice and went ahead and added diplexors to the RG6 SAT lines feeding two bedrooms. Works perfectly, with no apparent loss in SAT signal, and very good OTA reception.

Thought I'd share.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,411 Posts
Diplexing to a DirecTiVo isn't going to be an issue. Diplexing to the H20 or HR20 may become an issue after they loft another couple satellites up there. At that point, I'm guessing that you'll need to diplex in downstream of the BBC devices.

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
4DThinker said:
After he left I ignored his advice and went ahead and added diplexors to the RG6 SAT lines feeding two bedrooms. Works perfectly, with no apparent loss in SAT signal, and very good OTA reception.

Thought I'd share.
Unfortunately the installer's advice was on the money!!! Your diplexing will work today but as soon as the new DirecTV 10 and 11 satellites start transmitting (mid-2007) your diplexing will fail because the new sats generate a signal which comes from your LNB in a frequency band which overlaps OTA.

You can probably still use diplexing if you relocate the b-band converters to the antenna side of your diplexers, e.g. the output of the multiswitch. You will need to add gender-change connectors because you can't reverse the b-band converter. The converter moves the Ka-lo signals that overlap OTA back to the Ka-hi band which your receiver can decode. This should work in theory, DirecTV "insiders" say it will work, but until the new sats start transmitting next year we will not know for sure.

·
Super Moderator
12,884 Posts
One other item to keep in mind is that the specification for new coax installs is for RG6 with solid copper center conductor. It has higher DC current carrying capacity, which is needed for driving the 5-LNB dishes.

Carl

·
Godfather
439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am diplexing the antenna into individual cables on the output side of my WB68 multi-switch. I tried it on the input side and it did not work. I know I should have made that more clear.

Every other room with an old RG59 cable feeding it is getting the Antenna feed but no SAT feed. I'm working to seperate all RG59 (still OK for OTA antenna) from the RG6 lines (from the Multi-Switch).

Anyone know how DirecTV feels about activating a (unused but owned) receiver for maybe a week? I have a guest room that gets used for a few days to a week no more than twice a year. I have three unused SD receivers lying around. My guests would surely appreciate the DirecTV programming, but I don't want to pay to keep the receiver active all the time.

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.