DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Godfather
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight was the decision night in my household. While going to order a movie on lovley Tele-Media Digital Cable Service, we went to the PPV channel, it took forever to load and had brief pixelation. After the hassel of getting it to load we are greeted by the absence of the buy function through the cable box. We looked for it, but its gone. So we call the cable company to order over the phone. The automated service keeps forcing Cedric the Entertainer upon us. We had no options just Cedric. So we go to get someone on the phone to help. OH WAIT, there closed. Lovley answering service can leave a message and we can get assisted on Monday Afternoon. Gee that helps alot. Directv will be in the house soon, 24hr customer service, PPV through the receiver. More channels, less price. Its a matter of choosing a receiver.

G

·
I am so sorry to hear about your experience. Not everyone has the same experience as you did though. I was a Time Warner (NYC) subscriber, and I have only had one issue with them, which was promptly corrected. I had digital service and was able to order PPV service with the remote without problems.

But, in many parts of America the cable system does indeed suck dead bunnies through a coffee stirrer, therefore you have the choice of kicking cable for one of the Satellite providers. If one of them treats you bad, you can kick them and go to the other.

The consumer always wins when you have a choice.

· Godfather
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only good thing about my cable company is the Digital Movie packs. We get ALL of the HBOs, Showtimes, Starz, and Cinemaxs. D* and E* dont compare to that. But then D* and E* have better picture quality and everything is digital. D* I can get my locals but they dont have the UPN and PAX affiliate. PAX isnt an issue seeing as D* has the national feed. Well any way D* is the choice. Now we need to look for a receivers. Any ideas?

· Icon
884 Posts
I'd hold out for the DirecTivos coming soon at $199 each. Once you've really taken control of your TV, you'll never want a "normal" receiver again.

And as for all those HBO channels on cable....if the picture is garbage, what's the point?

· Godfather
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, as much as I would love a Tivo, some members of the family have dificulty adjusting to new technology. And 199 for 4 rooms is a little pricey.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
Start with one, see how it works out, then decide on more later. If I can get my wife and 3 1/2 yr old to love the PVR, you should have no problem with Tivo.

You'll never watch TV the same way.

· Godfather
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it is nessasary that 4 tv's be hooked up. They are the main TV's.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
Right, but you can spring for the cheaper units to start and just go for one Tivo at a time (i.e. get 3 lowend receivers and one with Tivo). I'm sure you can sell your other units on eBay or on this site if you want to subsidize your upgrades in the future.

· Godfather
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well what do you recomend for a low end receiver? I have seen the Hughes receivers and they are a little too pricey. The Samsungs I have seen are resonably priced. And then there are RCAs and those are cheap and I would even look at them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.