DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Legend
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to be able to utilize the Caller ID function, but given my circumstances, I am wondering whether it is even possible.....

I am using one of those "modem extension" thingies - you know, ones that uses the wall-power wires to extend a modem to a location where no hard-wired jack exists. To date (with D*SD Tivo units), the phone works properly - dialing out, at least - with them. However a test with a recently installed HR20 proved unsuccessful.

Does anyone use these devices with their HR20? Does using these devices have any impact on whether to use or not use the DSL filter (yes, DSL is in the mix too)?

Insight, as always, welcomed here.

Thanks

·
Godfather
253 Posts
I think I have seen in previous posts that unless you have a "wireless phone device" that allows modem information pass through caller ID will not work. There are older and cheaper models that do not have that capability. There are several models that state they work with caller ID and modems that should allow your D* box to display caller ID.

·
Mentor
44 Posts
There are still some of us hard-wired folks who are having problems with callerID and the HR20 so it's not certain that your setup is the problem.

·
Legend
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JohnMav said:
There are still some of us hard-wired folks who are having problems with callerID and the HR20 so it's not certain that your setup is the problem.
The only reason I think it's the modem extenders is that in previous posts I've read the typical failure symptom is a message relating to the need to subscribe to the callerID service. I'm not even getting that. I suspect the issue may be related to the previous poster's insight - that the particular device may be older and not explicitly support callerID.

·
Legend
197 Posts
I agree JohnMav - My caller ID "had" been working fine since the last update but once log was full, it stopped logging new calls, and went back to the message " contact you local phone company ect..." message. Software glitch to be sure.

·
Mentor
38 Posts
Brand new HR20 today, got the 0xE3 software update after installing, called the landline with my cell phone...

Caller ID no workie. (There is a notification to contact the phone company to activate Caller ID)

I do have DSL filters installed throughout the house (including the HR20), but shouldn't make any difference since my phones decode the Caller ID header just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.