DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
DBSTalk Club Member
581 Posts
Mixer said:
A little off topic (maybe) but when I upgraded to my 5MB DSL I had all sorts of issues and this one guy finally figured it out that the lines in my basement were too old to handle the load. He ran a dedicated line for my DSL so that I would no longer have to use those filter boxes. I am not saying that is going to solve the Caller-ID problems that you have experienced I am just suggesting that you consider doing it for overall performance of the DSL.
House was built in 96' - Don't want to screw up DSL so I don't know what removing the filter will do. Have not read enough on DSL to know what the filters function is.

·
Godfather
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Reggie3 said:
House was built in 96' - Don't want to screw up DSL so I don't know what removing the filter will do. Have not read enough on DSL to know what the filters function is.
I have ATT DSL,I ran a seperate CAT5 line to telco box for my DSL. Then ATT came out and installed hole house filter on their side of telco box(no charge),I was then able to take off individual filters off all phones and both HR20's. I did this because my previous tivo and D*receivers would slow my DSL line , now I have no problems 6MBPS. Faster DSL line,the greater the interferance with phone line,the individual filters don't work to good with faster speed,and D*receivers will slow DSL to a halt.

·
Godfather
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Reggie3 said:
I forgot to mention if you don't use filters you will be unable to talk on phone due to interferance from DSL line

·
DBSTalk Club Member
581 Posts
mridan said:
I forgot to mention if you don't use filters you will be unable to talk on phone due to interferance from DSL line
what if I just take off the filter to the HR-20

·
Legend
212 Posts
larcar said:
I have had my HR20 since Sep. and my caller ID has never worked even through all the updates. I previously had a H20 and other's hooked up there and they all worked.
Mine's never worked since day one also.

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
Reggie3 said:
Then any calls the unit makes will probably fail. Whether it'll make CID work or not... who knows? It'll be adding high frequency noise on the line, but the filter *may* be blocking the CID datastream enough to screw it up on the HR20.

·
Godfather
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Reggie3 said:
then the dsl line will interfere with your HR20,meaning when you order a pay per view it will not work,interferance from DSL line. I tried that with my old Tivo,that would update the guide thru phone line and it would fail without dsl filter.but since the HR20 updates thru the dish ,I guess it doesnt matter about the phone line anymore(if you dont order PPV)

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.