DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been able to see the caller ID feature using a wireless phone jack? This is a feature I want, but I have not seen the caller ID work yet. I have owned the HR20 for about a month, and I forced the 115 download the other night.

The box calls out fine, and my previous HR10-250 had no problem calling out also. I believe I have the Phonex PX-441 jacks.

I plan on re-verifying the settings tonight and see if my regular phones caller id works through the wireless jack also.

·
Registered
17,050 Posts
Nolzman said:
Has anyone been able to see the caller ID feature using a wireless phone jack?
Yes, I use a wireless phone jack to get the phone line across my living room. CID works fine every time. Info pops up on second ring.

G

·
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want to use their satellite TV receiver for caller ID.

·
Icon
968 Posts
rcoleman111 said:
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want to use their satellite TV receiver for caller ID.
so you can know who is calling?..?..? if some schmuck calls me and i'm really into what i'm watching i don't even have to get up to see who it is and decide if i want to answer it or not.

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
RunnerFL said:
Yes, I use a wireless phone jack to get the phone line across my living room. CID works fine every time. Info pops up on second ring.
Hmmmm... OK. I guess the ball is back in my court. I will mess around with it tonight. It might the kind of wireless phone jack I ma using, but i would assume that is you get a dial-tone everything should work fine.

And to answer the other poster, I too would like to know who is calling before getting up to answer/check the phone.

·
AllStar
52 Posts
rcoleman111 said:
I think it is great. Very useful feature, especially in our house where we have an old school wall phone in our kitchen. Saves me having to run around and find the cordless to see who I'm ignoring.

It's all about calories man, the less I can burn the better I feel.

And I use a wireless jack, ID works perfectly. Funny thing was, the DTV installer saw that wireless unit and immeidately said "No way will that work, you need to be hardwired, those wireless things won't work at all." I plugged it in and did the test, it came up good. I just stood there and looked at him.

G

·
byron said:
so you can know who is calling?..?..? if some schmuck calls me and i'm really into what i'm watching i don't even have to get up to see who it is and decide if i want to answer it or not.
Have you ever heard of an answering machine? I always know who is calling before I answer - even if my TV isn't on.

·
AllStar
52 Posts
rcoleman111 said:
Have you ever heard of an answering machine? I always know who is calling before I answer - even if my TV isn't on.
Does it have a tape? I love thread hijacking trolls. No matter where you go, whatever the forum topic, there they are.

·
AllStar
91 Posts
rcoleman111 said:
This has been a feature on many DVR's from dish to Direct Tv it must be a requested feature and I am not alone in enjoying it!!! It's not like we are trying to get the machine to do something it was not intented for as it is a very nice feature to have working!!

·
Cool Member
18 Posts
Nolzman said:
It might the kind of wireless phone jack I ma using, but i would assume that is you get a dial-tone everything should work fine.
Not all wireless phone jacks pass the Caller ID data. If you look at the packaging and/or documentation, it should state if it is compatible with Caller ID. I have some older RCA wireless jacks that are not compatible, but I saw a GE set in Home Depot the other day that claimed compatibility.

·
Godfather
365 Posts
My newer RCA wireless jack passed it.

You could always try hooking up a phone with caller ID to the wireless jack and see if a regular phone can get the caller ID info. If the phone can't get caller ID, don't expect the HR20 to get it.

·
5 Posts
Nolzman said:
Hmmmm... OK. I guess the ball is back in my court. I will mess around with it tonight. It might the kind of wireless phone jack I ma using, but i would assume that is you get a dial-tone everything should work fine.
Don't assume anything. Some models of the wireless phone jacks DON'T pass through CID information. Make sure yours does before you assume it's a problem with the receiver.

·
Mentor
48 Posts
rcoleman111 said:
In a word: Slingbox! You can remotely check your caller ID via the internet and not have to hassle with the TAD menus.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,019 Posts
rcoleman111 said:
Guess you don't have an 11 year old daughter and a wife that, between the two of them, get 99% of the calls (and saying I get 1% of the calls is probably kind of high). We have two cordless handsets and neither is ever where I am. So, I just look at the tv and then I can chose to not get up if it's obviously not for me.

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, still no luck. I performed some trouble shooting and I still do not know why my HR20 Caller ID does not work. Before I go further, let me state that my box has performed almost flawlessly since I got it (1 or 2 reboots, nothing missed,etc..). The lack of Caller ID is my only complaint.... so far.

I first check the dial tone coming out of my wireless jack. Fine.

I then plugged my Caller ID enabled phone into the jack and made a call. It displayed the Caller ID fine.

I double checked my HR 20 menu setting and my physical line connection. I even turned the notice off and back on, made a call. No caller id. :confused:

Any more ideas? Should I try a reboot.

Anybody else having similar problems?

Anybody else had a similar problem and resolved it.

Thanks.

·
Legend
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
RobTorrey said:
Don't plug the "wireless" jack into an ac surge protector.
Uummm? It's not. It's plugged directly into the wall. Besides, caller ID does work out of the jack, which tells me the problem must be with the recevier or much less like the phone cable between the jack and receiver. I will change out the cable tonight just to be sure.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.