DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Godfather
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I would like to ask all Dish Network people that have switched to Direct-TV why? I am thinking I am go with Direct-TV with their new HR-34 receiver and two HD receivers. I been with Dish for more than ten years and this offer that Direct has now is best I seen. It would save me over $400.00 over the two year contract with Direct. I just want some feedback. Dish really does not care if I stay or go I contacted them and really no offer to stay.

Any one using the new HR-34? How is it working out for ya?

I have also post this in the Dish area also. Again just looking at feedback

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
Four reasons why I switched. One was MLB Network (which I know Dish has now) reason two was 24/7 RSN and reason three was it was my cheapest way to get more HD receivers. Dish had no deals on any 211. Lastly was the whole Home DVR.

I've been with Direct since August and I'm very happy with the service. They seem to work out contracts with TV providers faster then Dish ever did. So I'd say go for it. If you don't like it Dish will take you back in 2 years.

·
Legend
213 Posts
I've done the switchover a couple times when a piece of hardware failed and the cost to replace it or upgrade all hardware was more than the cost to just change provider. I started with D* in 1997 with a full-price out-of-pocket dual-lnb system I saved up for weeks to get; switched to E* in 2000 when the flat-pack dual-lnb died, and went back to D* in May 2010 when the E* receivers were fried due to a lightning strike. I'm sure at some point in the future I'll be going back to E* but so far D* has been good to me.

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
I switched this past week for the following reasons. 1. Price and channels per package. 2. Disney/ESPN HD channels. 3. Customer service from Dish that continues to get worse. I've been a Dish customer since the late 90's when they first started and finally was ready for change. With Direct I got the HR34 which has 5 tuners in it. So far love it. I've got a little problem with the HR25's being able to see the HR34 playlist, but I'm working with Direct on that. So far they've been good to work with.

·
AllStar
98 Posts
Hey! I have the HR34, and It is Amazing! The DVR Storage is Huge! The Recording 5 shows at once is Awesome as well! The only thing is that the new HD GUI hasn't come our way yet. But I'm cool with the Blue :D

Switch over to DirecTV, You'll be glad you did!

·
Cool Member
13 Posts
I'm a new subscriber myself...I had dish well over 10 years ago, but so far I am very impressed...I've been doing ALOT of research into both services prior, but they definitely offer the best deal, and seem to be leaving dish in the dust as far as advancements in tech...

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
MadScientist said:
Thank you! It I switched to Direct I would save 400.00 over the two years. I looking at geting the HR-34 and two HD rec. do you have the HR-34? and how is it running? any problems?
No I have a HR24 and 3 H24. They worked good out of the box but since I'm a CE tester they run super now, with the new HD guide. Super fast!!

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
nusatman said:
I'm a new subscriber myself...I had dish well over 10 years ago, but so far I am very impressed...I've been doing ALOT of research into both services prior, but they definitely offer the best deal, and seem to be leaving dish in the dust as far as advancements in tech...
I'm not impressed with Dish's new Whole Home DVR. You can record 6 shows but 4 of them are the prime time networks. Also you only have 3 turners which I know Directv only has 2. The big difference is if you're recording with Dish you only have 3 turners and if you're recording two shows plus your prime time no on else in the house can watch tv.

I like Directv's better because I can only record two shows but the other 3 tv's in my house can continue to watch tv while the DVR is recording.

So I think Directv's whole home is better. So I'm glad they offered you a good deal.

·
Legend
213 Posts
I might've misinterpreted but are you saying Dish's Whole Home solution is one multi-tuner dvr with dummy tunerless boxes connected to it? That is so a$$-backwards. What did they buy out the Wang corporation for that outdated tech.

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
NewForceFiveFan said:
I might've misinterpreted but are you saying Dish's Whole Home solution is one multi-tuner dvr with dummy tunerless boxes connected to it? That is so a$$-backwards. What did they buy out the Wang corporation for that outdated tech.
Yeah It's a three tuner dvr. You have the main box called a hopper (3 tuner) and to view tv on other tvs you need a smaller box called joey.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/redirect...NHOPPER_2980&gclid=CIeXyLah560CFUFN4AodZALp4A

·
Legend
213 Posts
OMG! Who the **** thinks up these ideas at E*. No wonder Tivo has no trouble winning lawsuits against them. They're run by bunch of idiots. I'll take 4 Directv HRxx or Hxx's connected Whole Home over this Hopper/Joey **** any day. Great idea E* to make a system that when the Hopper dies your customers are **** out of luck watching any tv till it's replaced. I foresee pissed off Dish customers flocking to Directv when they realise they were duped into buying a POS system.

·
Icon
843 Posts
dpeters11 said:
DirecTV will have a similar scenario. One HR34 and RVU clients will have the same issue. Of course it's a choice, you can also use a 34 with a regular receiver.
Exactly, once things turn to RVU, very same problem. HR34 needs to reboot the whole damn house is down.........

·
RF Engineer
4,324 Posts
For the person asking about switching to DirecTV and wanting to get an HR 34, BE ADVISED THAT YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER WHAT MODEL RECEIVERS YOU WILL GET. YOU ALSO HAVE NO CONTROL OVER WHETHER THEY WILL BE NEW OR "RECONDITIONED"!

You get whatever the installer has on the truck, as long as it fits the description-and there are only 4 descriptions: HD DVR, HD RECEIVER, SD DVR, SD RECEIVER

Also, if somehow you DO get an HR 34 and it breaks down a week later, there is no guarantee you will get a replacement of the same type-you will get an "HD DVR" but it could be a five year old reconditioned unit.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
This is not true for the HR34. Until there's an HR34-100 or HR35 etc, an HR34-700 is guaranteed if an HMC is on the order. A 34 cannot be replaced with a 24. It will be possible to get refurbs. I'm sure the one I replaced will go out as refurb.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,510 Posts
ThomasM said:
For the person asking about switching to DirecTV and wanting to get an HR 34, BE ADVISED THAT YOU HAVE NO CONTROL OVER WHAT MODEL RECEIVERS YOU WILL GET. YOU ALSO HAVE NO CONTROL OVER WHETHER THEY WILL BE NEW OR "RECONDITIONED"!

You get whatever the installer has on the truck, as long as it fits the description-and there are only 4 descriptions: HD DVR, HD RECEIVER, SD DVR, SD RECEIVER

Also, if somehow you DO get an HR 34 and it breaks down a week later, there is no guarantee you will get a replacement of the same type-you will get an "HD DVR" but it could be a five year old reconditioned unit.
This is completely untrue. The HR34 is a new class, the Home Media Center. They are extremely new, so it's not likely there are any refurbished ones yet.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"DogLover" said:
This is completely untrue. The HR34 is a new class, the Home Media Center. They are extremely new, so it's not likely there are any refurbished ones yet.
I'm sure there are, I know of at least 2 that have been returned to DirecTV. Rare, but out there.

And to be fair to ThomasM, DirecTV told me the same thing when I was getting mine replaced. That they couldn't guarantee it, and might get an HR20-24.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,510 Posts
dpeters11 said:
I'm sure there are, I know of at least 2 that have been returned to DirecTV. Rare, but out there.

And to be fair to ThomasM, DirecTV told me the same thing when I was getting mine replaced. That they couldn't guarantee it, and might get an HR20-24.
I was assuming that it would take a few more returns and and more than a month or two of limited release before you'd actually see any refurbs being sent out. (But logistics isn't my specially, so who knows.)

And you are right, CSR's have given out some bad information. It's obvious that training CSRs isn't DIRECTV's strong suit. However, we have seen evidence that they are considered a different class. They are a different labeled line item on new orders, and they are a different price.

I know that we don't always agree with some of the choices that DIRECTV makes, but it really would be ludicrous for them to treat an HR34 the same as an HR2x.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.