DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Icon
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks...over the past week I've seen stuttering from Comedy Central on both my HR24s.

In the exact same places on each machine, both video and audio seem to stop...then jump ahead a split second 5-10 times in each program. FWIW, they are being recorded on my DVRs as one show with a 1 hour extension. I was hoping this was a Comedy Central issue and not something local. But if it was local how could it happen at the same time on both HR24s?

Has anyone else noticed this? I can give exact times if anyone wants them.

thanks! Mike Nassour

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
No need to give exact times, its quite bad. It occurs on both my HR24 and HR34, so its in the signal. Its so bad, I just set up a season pass on my Tivo and watch CC on Xfinity instead.

I thought it might be an issue with the encoders they are rumored to be using to be able to put 6 channels on each transponder, but I looked over the channel mapping, and this transponder still only has 5 channels on it. Checked signal on 103 tr 12, and it was a solid 95, so its not a signal issue.

· Icon
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Davenlr said:
No need to give exact times, its quite bad. It occurs on both my HR24 and HR34, so its in the signal. Its so bad, I just set up a season pass on my Tivo and watch CC on Xfinity instead.
I assume you're talking about the signal going IN to DirecTV, as I've got all kinds of signal strength on my 24s?

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
Davenlr said:
No I am talking about the video signal coming OUT of DirecTv (the MUX) going to the satellite.
Yes, but that in turn would be dependent on what feed they have to work with, no?

(All feeds are equal, but some feeds are more equal than others? :D )

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Well, since CC (as far as I know) is distributed using C band satellite, and DirecTv and Xfinity would be using the same feed, if it was a feed issue, I should see it on both providers.

Now, if DirecTv somehow has a fiber feed instead of using the C band feed, then I guess it could be the feed.

My only point for the OP, was that its not our equipment at fault. The rest was pure speculation.

· Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.
15,115 Posts
Davenlr said:
Well, since CC (as far as I know) is distributed using C band satellite, and DirecTv and Xfinity would be using the same feed, if it was a feed issue, I should see it on both providers.

Now, if DirecTv somehow has a fiber feed instead of using the C band feed, then I guess it could be the feed.

My only point for the OP, was that its not our equipment at fault. The rest was pure speculation.
My speculation is that even if all distributors get exactly the same feed, different compression and/or conversion techniques will produce different end results.

(Is Comcast uniform in all areas of the US? Are they MPG-4?)

· Godfather
433 Posts
I would say at least fifty percent of our recordings have a split second stutter like you describe at some point. It is not fatal but it sure is aggravating. Once in a while the recording will hang because of the stutter. Have to exit out and restart. Usually there is no option to resume, sometimes resume just starts at the beginning of the recording.

Very common words in our household now are %$#@&& DTV box, and I don't know why it does that it just does.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Laxguy said:
My speculation is that even if all distributors get exactly the same feed, different compression and/or conversion techniques will produce different end results.

(Is Comcast uniform in all areas of the US? Are they MPG-4?)
Right, so it would be the providers remuxing equipment causing the errors, right?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.