DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Don, I just ordered one of these: http://www.moviestuff.tv/wp_xp.html and will be needing to buy a video camera to go with it (and a computer, but that needs to be XP Pro). They suggest that I buy a Canon GL2. I assume you are familiar with that camera? Do you have any experience in using it? What do you think of it? Any suggestions of where I could get a good deal? I did a mailing for my remastering business that resulted in basically nothing other than people wanting me to transfer 8mm film or VHS to DVD, so I am making the leap. I still have about a month before the Workprinter arrives, but it appears that it will do GREAT quality, one frame at a time.

· Hall Of Fame
3,363 Posts
This process used here is good! Stop frame image capture. The Canon GL2 has this ability as do many DV camcorders in the semi professional level. I even had it on my old Hi8 camcorder years ago. The trick is the process to automate the telecine process and then build the movie like in a single frame animation. This used to be difficult and expensive. I used to do this with a Dioaquest frame controller and a betacam deck. But today, any DVR with animation software makes that part fast. However, the image capture one frame at a time is really slow. I didn't read the article entirely but I'll bet we're talking 15 to 20 seconds minimum per frame or 3 frames a minute. Do the math to decide how much to charge for the time.

Another thing to check out is 8mm movies were shot at both 18 fps and 24 fps. Be sure the software can deal with both frame rates to do the pull down to 29.97 fps for video. Otherwise you will have the Keystone cops speed up movie.

As far as the cost of this venture-- Have you done an ROI on it yet? You might discover it ain't too good for film but converting VHS and beta to DVD will be a good business. I have a high speed commercial disk printer and 16x burner tower here and that system $3000 in round numbers paid for itself in 3 months of part time business! I just did over 2000 DVD's this past week alone but that is unusual as it was for the Christmas plays season. Normal week here is about 200-300 DVD's though. Of course I have a huge collection of video masters for my clients. I'll soon be over 500 titles I duplicate from. My system outputs a printed and burned DVD at a rate of 1 per minute for a 1 hour program (2.8Gb) and B/W label, 150% Slower for color. You should consider this. The hardware is standalone on the burn and requires a small computer for the printer label designing.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't read the article entirely but I'll bet we're talking 15 to 20 seconds minimum per frame or 3 frames a minute. Do the math to decide how much to charge for the time.
Thanks, Don for responding.

Actually, it is a bit slow, but it does capture at 6 frames per second, not a bad trade off for the quality improvement.

You are the second one today to mention the duplication market. I will have to look into that market also now. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.