DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Legend
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have noticed my signal values are dipping a bit. When I first got installed they were 95-100 and now a lot of them are into the high 80s or low 90s. Is it normal for this to happen? I've noticed some increased pixelation and signal disruption, not sure if this is the cause or not.

And how does DirecTV deal with you calling for a dish realignment? I have the protection plan, which apparently covers this, but I'm just curious how many hoops they make you go through before they schedule a service appointment?

·
Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
soloredd said:
Hey all, I have noticed my signal values are dipping a bit. When I first got installed they were 95-100 and now a lot of them are into the high 80s or low 90s. Is it normal for this to happen? I've noticed some increased pixelation and signal disruption, not sure if this is the cause or not.

And how does DirecTV deal with you calling for a dish realignment? I have the protection plan, which apparently covers this, but I'm just curious how many hoops they make you go through before they schedule a service appointment?
3 hoops.
1 they have to be convinced there is an issue
2 they have to be convinced that you did not cause the issue
3 they have to be convinced it is not weather related.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
Your dish alignment may drift a little over time but if properly secured it shouldn't cause major problems. DirecTV's threshold for signal seems to be 70's so calling them and complaining you've got some signals in the high 80s might not get you anywhere. In all likely hood you would have to lie to them and tell them the signals are much lower than they are before they would setup a service appointment.

If your signal has dropped a bit due to the alignment coming off a little it could contribute to some signal issues but high 80's is still pretty good. It's also possible that even peaked you still would have had signal issues. It's also possible the issues you are seeing have nothing to do with your signal and are coming from somewhere else in the distribution chain.

What are your signals on 101/110/119 and 103c? Are there any particular channels that are worse than other?

It's also quite possible that you might end up with worse signals after a realignment too. Most installers don't have a meter that can check the new 99/103 signals and don't always peak those well. If you do get a service appointment setup make sure to check the signal on your receiver before you let the tech go.

If you really want to tweak it for the peak signal you can do it yourself. http://www.solidsignal.com/dtvkuka/ covers the process pretty well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.