DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left for vacation Wednesday morning. I see now that a new software version downloaded that morning. Everything that day recorded, but sometime between 5:30am and 10:30am Thursday, it simply stopped recording, so I don't think it can be blamed on the software update itself (I know some have mentioned here their system was hung after an update). Everything scheduled lists as "partial" in the recording history, but was of course gone after I rebooted the system. There was also a HUGE jump in the disk space usage from the time we left to when we came back, and it doesn't look right now, but I'll have to do the math before I can say for sure. The things we missed are of course all things I hadn't gotten around to setting up on our R10 as a backup. Except for the Bears, and our R10 inexplicably failed to start recording until 6ish minutes left in the 3rd quarter, the first time it has EVER done anything like that. I REALLY DO NOT LIKE IT WHEN I MISS MY BEARS BECAUSE OF TECHNICAL PROBLEMS.

This thing is just not improving. If anything, it is getting worse with each update. My patience is running extremely thin, and it needs to get better very very soon. I'm really beginning to think getting a second one of these things was a big mistake, but I guess since I'm paying only $20 for it, I'll give it a try. That's assuming DTV ever comes through with my account credits, which as of yet has not happened.

I know it's just TV, and these days it is not difficult to get your hands on something you may have missed, but I don't think it is asking too much for this thing to just work. Missing recordings is a huge problem for a DVR -- that is the whole reason for its existence.

-- robert

·
AllStar
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I just did the math, and I've got 83 hours of SD recordings on there, but it shows that I have only 35% of my disk space left. I know the 200 hours is an approximate measure, and that it fluctuates based on what you have recorded. And most of that 83 hours is stuff that it can remove when it needs the space, since it is Spongebob and Pokemon showing 4+ times a day, but at that rate I'll hit capacity with 128 hours on there, and that's nowhere close to 200. Either that bar is wrong, or cartoons don't compress nearly as well as other shows (which may be true -- lots of motion), or their estimate of 200 hours is way off.

-- robert

·
Icon
731 Posts
You know.. I had the same thing happen.. and it was locked up and drive almost filled... know why? I have a movie on HBOH record EIGHTEEN hours long.. and it hung up right at the end of recording it. I didn't even realize it (after reboot) until I watched the movie and suddenly said.. hmm the movie is 1/2 over and the progress bar is like 1/10the the way to the end! Deleted the movie (it played fine) and bang! Like 40% freed up.

Maybe one show is 40 hours long or something.. lol;

·
AllStar
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slyster said:
You know.. I had the same thing happen.. and it was locked up and drive almost filled... know why? I have a movie on HBOH record EIGHTEEN hours long.. and it hung up right at the end of recording it. I didn't even realize it (after reboot) until I watched the movie and suddenly said.. hmm the movie is 1/2 over and the progress bar is like 1/10the the way to the end! Deleted the movie (it played fine) and bang! Like 40% freed up.

Maybe one show is 40 hours long or something.. lol;
Hey, thanks, that was it! The show that recorded at 5:30am Thursday, a 30 minute kids show, was taking up 30% of the disk space! The status bar claimed it was like 87 hours long! Apparently it freaked out during the recording of that show, which is why nothing else recorded (I think the length was the time between when it started recording and when I reset it after returning). At least that issue is solved.

When did that happen to you? Was if after the latest software download?

-- robert

·
Icon
731 Posts
Hehe! Stupid cylon machines! For me it was a 2 hour long HD movie that recorded 18 hours. No.. it was like 2 updates previous... about 3 or 4 weeks ago.. not the recent software.

I didn't know you could record that length of solid tv!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.