DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I plug my Comcast cable into the OTA IN on the 211, would the 211 see the digital free in the clean network locals? What about the SD analog stations? Reason I ask is that I was thinking about running a cable to that tuner and it's easier to run from an existing cable tv feed than my ota antenna feed on the other side of the house. I saw in the tuner menu and option for "cable TV" and IRC and HRC so it looks like this should be possible if it is enabled in the box. Thanks.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
The OTA tuner in a 211 is for ATSC, an OTA standard.

Cable almost always uses QAM, not ATSC (8VSB), and analog is NTSC. Neither will work with an ATSC tuner.

Most HDTVs have a combo NTSC/ATSC/Clear-QAM tuner, which is why you can plug "cable" into the tuner and get the analog and "clear" digital channels.

·
Mentor
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IIP said:
The OTA tuner in a 211 is for ATSC, an OTA standard.

Cable almost always uses QAM, not ATSC (8VSB), and analog is NTSC. Neither will work with an ATSC tuner.

Most HDTVs have a combo NTSC/ATSC/Clear-QAM tuner, which is why you can plug "cable" into the tuner and get the analog and "clear" digital channels.
So the net is that the Dish tuner only has ATSC and not QAM. Thanks for the information.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.