DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With distant networks going away, the only way I can get ABC is via cable. I currently get locals via Dish, but my ABC is out of Chicago (4 hours away). I'm going to lose it.

I've read that the 622 can recognize and record OTA signals well only if you pay for the local package from DISH. Does it do the same if I plug basic cable into it? Do I still need to pay for the local package via Dish? More importantly, if the satellite isn't even listing an ABC, is paying for the locals package going to do me any good in terms of recording the cable's ABC?

I'm planning on upgrading to the 622, but the problem with ABC has really screwed up my plans. I would consider just dumping Dish at this point and going with cable -- but they don't offer a DVR.

·
Legend
155 Posts
THP427,

The 622 only works with ATSC signal in. It doesn't do NTSC (analog) or QAM (digital cable), as far as I know.

I don't believe there is a limitation of OTA without the locals added, except for the program guide not populating. I have had the 622 for about 3 weeks now and have the locals so I get the guide data and can 1-button record locals that way. I do believe one can manually create a timer on the local channels, but haven't tried it. I don't know about the 942 being any better. The 811 does both analog OTA and cable, but is not a DVR.

There are some folks here that know far more about the receivers and channel capabilities than I and hopefully they have better info than I.

Miner

·
622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,880 Posts
:welcome_s thp427

Minor is accurate with his response. Dish's 622 will not be able to record from a cable box unless that signal the cable box was sending looked just like an OTA channel from the wire level and I doubt it would.

As for OTA.. Minor summed it up... You can still tune into OTA channels but you would have to set up Manual timers to record your OTA programs if you did not want to sub to the locals.

Basically if you want HD ABC and can't get it OTA or through Dish HD locals, you don't have any other options with Dish.

·
Godfather
361 Posts
Why, then, does the 622 have settings for allowing cable? Or maybe I am not understanding the setting. It is located in HDTV Setup, then Analog Type. Press the Help button to see what I am talking about.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
Presence said:
Argh. :bonk1:
Its not completely impossible but rare that your local cable may send over ATSC signals. If your so lucky you can record it on the ViP 622. Unfortunately this is becoming more and more rare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.