DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Super Buddy meter (well, actually it belongs to the company I work for). I have used it to align Tachyon and Clear Channel satellite systems. I have also used it to align my parents' older DirecTV triple LNB Phase III system. I was hoping to use it to align my system, but have been reading conflicting reports. I have a Slimline 5 dish, a SWS-4 splitter, and the 21v Power Inserter. It was my understanding that I would not be able to use the original Super Buddy, as you have to have the additional Swim Kick 21 accessory that will raise the power output from 18v to 21v. But, there is a knowledgeable guy that I work with that says he has used it twice (once at home and once at one of our remote sites). He says he doesn't know all the technical terms for DTV equipment, but he is sure that both dishes have 3 physical eyes, but can accept signal from 5 satellites. (This sounds like a Slimline 5 to me?). He also says that both dishes only have one cable that goes to the 'splitter'. (This sounds like a SMW setup to me?). He said he has used the Super Buddy on both systems, and has actual used it again at home to realign after a tornado. Is there something I'm missing? Could he actually be using a Super Buddy to align a SWM setup?

NOTE - He was using the same exact Super Buddy as me... as we share it.

-Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
1,734 Posts
I'm not really sure, but I normally keep a legacy SL5 LNB around, specifically to align slimline dishes, so that I did NOT have to get a new meter JUST for SWM LNB's.
Align the dish with the legacy LNB, then just pop it off & switch to the SWM LNB; quick & simple. ;)

· Registered
4,146 Posts
That will work but should not be used for D* customer install. using it for a self install is okay - just not total correct.

· Hall Of Fame
1,734 Posts
WestDC said:
That will work but should not be used for D* customer install. using it for a self install is okay - just not total correct.
Why??? (other than D* instructions saying "NOT to remove the LNB after aligning"...) :rolleyes:

Sorry, but I've ignored that rule since day 1 - NEVER had a problem to this day. :confused:

· AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, I decided to go outside and try it. The Super Buddy displayed 18v in the spec box, BUT did power the LNB. I saw it locked at 96% (101), but while I was fine tuning it, the Super Buddy's battery died (it was low anyway). So I have it charging now. I guess this is similiar to people having a receiver power a SWM LNB without the PI... it works (for a while), but isn't recommended. I would assume that just dragging the PI out to the dish and connecting it between the LNB and Super Buddy will work (the CORRECY way)... as that's basically what the Swim Kick 21 accessory does. The only down side would be having to have an extension cord running to the dish to power the Power Inserter.

Also - per the comments above. That IS the way the DTV techs installed my system originally (2.5 years ago). They swapped in an old LNB, aligned it, then swapped to my SWM LNB :D

· MANC
1,504 Posts
My Super Bud has an option for SWM in the menu. Yours would likely work with an ASL1 or a SWM two port splitter at the dish. Using a legacy LNB is a work around.

· AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, I went back out there after the battery charged up. I decided to go ahead and place the power inserter between the LNB and the Super Buddy. I am happy to report that after my realignment: the 101 is about 3 higher, the 110 and 119 are about 1-2 higher, BUT the 99 and 103s are about 14 higher!! :joy: Now every single transponder on every bird is 91+ (most are 95-100). Of course, I'm excluding the spot beams. I'm in WV, and it's close to 10PM now, so it was dark out during the procedure. I couldn't seem to get the Super Buddy to swap to a few transponders (I know it can't see them all, but there were more than the normal ones missing). Also, I couldn't get it to even see the 99 and 103 birds (like even swap to them in the settings). I must have had an incorrect setting, as I watched a YouTube video that showed the Super Buddy could see them and measure signal (dBm), just not lock on them due to encrytion. I may read up a little more and then go back out tomorrow and see if I can get my 91, couple 93s, and a few 94s all up to 95+ :D

· AllStar
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm... apparently the Super Buddy can only see the 101 and 119 birds when using a SL5S SWM system (as you can see from the manufacture's link here):

http://www.appliedin.com/www/assets...wnloads/DIRECTV_SWM_SL5S_KaKu_Super_Buddy.pdf

That explains why I couldn't get anything else :) It looks like it can only read the 110, 99, and 103 on older dishes/LNBs. But if you read the PDF above, you will see there is a Verify setting that allows you see all 9 SWM channels. I will play around with that some tomorrow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.