DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dish does not care anymore folks, piss poor PQ and I have no choice but to go to cable I think, maybe in 1 year they will have their **** together. Charter has digital cable, phone and 3meg internet for $99 a month.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Yes, it could get worse :)

But to your question... I don't think Dish is to blame for the ESPNHD problems. I know people on TWC locally, and they have the same complaints about ESPNHD. Also, ABC/ESPNHD often do not have a full set of HD cameras at games... so about a third to half of the shots at any given "HD" game might actually just be widescreen SD. I found this to be most appalling at the Championship Bowl game last year on ABC when you know ABC didn't have anywhere else to be, and yet still didn't cover the whole thing with all their HD cameras.

Dish is overcompressing and bit-reducing on many of the HD channels... but so far not on the 720p ones, like ESPNHD... so I think the quality there is on ESPN's shoulders not Dish.

· Mentor
30 Posts
I have TWC and it's the same. Now I have not seen it on Dish, but you can tell they're using a mixture of HD and SD cameras. The distant sky shots of the stadium, fans, etc... all SD. It seems (like in the game last night), that about 2-3 cams are HD for close up shots of the players. But they often kick back out to SD cameras.

14 Posts
you i was flipping out last night.
i was watching the college football game on a brand new mits dlp and was going nuts because i thought this tv was going to display pq just terribly.

glad it wasn't the tv.

the pq of that game on espn last night was alomost as bad as sat baseball on fox.

watched on comcast digiatl cable box

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Yeah... that's what I keep seeing on ESPNHD and ABC HD as well during college games and NFL... and I keep wondering why so many people think it looks great. I wonder if Dish and TWC are the only ones getting the crappy feed?

When I compare my house on Dish and my parents on TWC they are virtually identical in the lack of detail... and even weirder is the choice of cameras.

They use the SD cameras for the wide shots, and the HD for the closeups... when in fact HD for the wide shots and SD for the closeups would actually look better because you need the detail more when they are zoomed out!

I sometimes "enjoy" the dancing background (that isn't supposed to dance) during SportCenter sometimes...

· Hall Of Fame
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The blue colors on sportcenter dance, is that what your talking about? I sure as hell see it. Too bad they don't headbang either!

· Legend
331 Posts
HDMe said:
Yes, it could get worse :)

But to your question... I don't think Dish is to blame for the ESPNHD problems. I know people on TWC locally, and they have the same complaints about ESPNHD.
ESPNHD on TWCSC looks spectacular as does all HD. No rate-shaping or over compression here.

· Legend
152 Posts
I would have to say that my ESPN HD is really pretty nice. I look forward to the football games because they look so good. Football on NBC SD (we don't get NBC HD here in New Mexico) is almost unwatchable it's so "soft".

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
Sorry... but not around here. As mentioned above in this thread, folks around here with ESPNHD on TWC also have the same crappy quality as Dish.

Also, ESPN is not even using HD cameras at all the games and for all angles... so it is not even possible to have great quality if the feed was pristine because they aren't using HD cameras for the whole game to begin with.

Dish does need to bash some folks at ESPNHD and get a better feed... as does Time Warner here in NC... but that still won't fix the fact that ESPN is not trucking a full set of HD camera equipment to the games they broadcast. :(

4 Posts
I had Insight cable up until 2 weeks ago. Kept their HD receiver around for A/B comparison to Dish.

ESPN looks equally BAD on both the Insight HD and Dish HD.

Lots of modelling on the football field grass, artifacts and posterization around text in Keys and graphics, etc... Doesn't matter if it is on Dish HD or the Cable HD...same degraded image.:bang
-Alex-

· Legend
331 Posts
HDMe said:
Sorry... but not around here. As mentioned above in this thread, folks around here with ESPNHD on TWC also have the same crappy quality as Dish.

(
That is too bad. TWC's policy here in South Carolina is to pass all HD signals exactly as they receive them - no bit-rate shaping, no extra compression. Maybe that limits the total available bandwidth somewhat but we have excellent PQ on all 17 currently offered.

· Legend
230 Posts
ehren said:
Dish does not care anymore folks, piss poor PQ and I have no choice but to go to cable I think, maybe in 1 year they will have their **** together. Charter has digital cable, phone and 3meg internet for $99 a month.
ESPN-HD on DISH, at least at our house is superb. We watch HD on a 622.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.