DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have A 501 receiver, currently hooked up to A Dish 500 with dual lnb's pointed at 119, and 110. I would like to add A Dish 300 dish with A dual lnb pointed at the 61.5 bird to recieve the rest of my locals. Question...... Can I run the cable coming from the sw21 from Dish 500 dish to another sw21 connected to the Dish 300 dish to recieve signals from 119, 110 ,and 61.5, or do I need to buy A sw64 to get the job done? Like I said I now only have A 501. I dont plan on adding any other recievers to my setup. Thanks yall:blush:

· EKB Editor
4,022 Posts
You can not cascade like switches because they respond to the same commands. When the receiver tells the closest SW21 to switch to input B the one upstream of it will also switch to input B.

The SW64 is the preferred solution because no cascading is involved, but in your case it is overkill. You have a couple of options:

Install an SW44 where your SW21 is now, use the SW21 to connect the SW44 output and 61.5 dish. You will have to connect all 4 outputs of the 2 dual LNBFs to the SW44's 4 inputs. More than you need but cheaper than an SW64.

Replace the 2 dual LNBFs with a Twin, use the SW21 to connect the Twin output and the 61.5 dish. You will lose the flexibility to go beyond 2 receivers or tuners but you don't plan to do that anyway.

· Hall Of Fame/Supporter
2,818 Posts
You should call dish and have them come out and install the second dish for you. They do it free of charge if you have channels on a wing sat for LIL. They should provide all your switching needs.

· Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
There is a switch out there other then SW44 that could be cascaded with regular sw21. It maybe not very well known, expecially in USA, but I've been told that few electonic/dish supplies stores over in Canada sell something by the name of sw21X (different from regular sw21). I've been told that it is custom manufactured by some company (or people). The only thing is it is much more costly then regular sw21. Example:
I ve been told that regular sw21 cost there around from 30 to 45 dollars Canadian (or so), where that sw21X switch would cost around 80-100 Canadian...
See the difference..
The way that sw21X switch works (or supposed to work):
One needs regular sw21 switch to be connected (cascaded) together with that sw21X switch...After that one can get 3 birds into one receiver...Note though: just one of those sw21X switches would not cut it - One would need a regular sw21 switch as well.
Speaking about Canada and switches - hehe - they should become more popular out there pretty soon - because Bell Expess Vu has it's Second satellite almost set to go...
I ve been told by some people - that it should be all ready to go by the end of the year, and they would start to use it around 6 months from now ( this of course is not official, just telling you what i ve been told :) )

· Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Originally posted by Mike123abc
You should call dish and have them come out and install the second dish for you. They do it free of charge if you have channels on a wing sat for LIL. They should provide all your switching needs.
yes Mike - i think you are right - i think i heard it on Charlie Chats
several times..
Doesn't hurt to call Dish anyhow ;)

· Legend
153 Posts
I currently use a sw42 so that is no problem. I already have all the parts to add a dish to 148 so I just needed to know that. I was a little worried about having to buy a sw64. I plan on buying a 6000, hdtv and a dvd player this week so I don't want more expense then I need. lol

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
jeffwtux - what do YOU mean by cascade ?

Our usuage here means have one SW21 going to 119/110, then add another (SW21) one for 61.5 / 148. So far as we have been told, this is an unsupported configuration.

We DO know that you can cascade a SW21 with a SW64 (for 4 slot), SW44 (3 slot), TWIN (3 slot), and QUAD(3 slot). I believe I read either here or on dbsforums.com that the SW42 / SW21 also works (the SW42 responds like a TWIN).

· Hall Of Fame
6,901 Posts
Originally posted by jeffwtux
I am a retailer and I cascade SW21's all the time.
ya..what do you mean by cascade sw21s all the time?

to do what?
I didn't think it was possible to cascade 2 plain sw21s to bring 3 birds into IRD (not 3 separate dishes anyhow)...
Not sure about Dish500 with another dish though...

Please expand on what you ment...

· Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Originally posted by jeffwtux
I am a retailer and I cascade SW21's all the time.
I'd love to see this?

Do you mean that you connect an SW21 to LNBs pointed at 119 and 110 and then take the output of the SW21 and feed it to ANOTHER SW21 with an LNB pointed at 148° or 61.5° hooked into the other input of the second SW21 and the output of THAT SW21 hooked up to a receiver?

That is the cascading we're discussing. If you way that this is what you meant, I can say without any question that the receivers will not work properly.

See ya
Tony

· Icon
720 Posts
Yes that's exactly what I'm talking about. The switch report from check switch lists the switch type as SW21-3Sat. Then it has shows this for the report
1 1 1 1 2 2
119 119 110 110 61.5 61.5
odd even odd even odd even

· Legend
220 Posts
a Twin does NOT have a SW21 in it. Its a common mistake. It responds to a slight varation to the SW42 commandset.

and NO you cannot EVER have 2 (real) sw21s connected to one ird and have it work properly. it wont work.

There has been work done on re-programming a SW21 to repsond to the SW242s commandset, and that DOES work however, not worth it for most of us.

· Icon
720 Posts
Well, I don't know what the commandset of the Twin vs. the SW21 is. All I know is the switch installation summary results in the same SW21-3SAT when cascading a SW21 to get 61.5 or 148 for international channels. Farmington Hills has a huge Indian population, the demand for this is great. I couldn't afford it if this didn't work.

· Icon
720 Posts
Darkman: I was also told that you couldn't do it. However, I tried it once for the heck of it, and it worked, so I've never looked back. However, lately I've been getting all systems with Twins and know DishPro Twins, so I haven't done it lately, but from January to July I did all the time. Now, I'm running short of single LNBFs and SW21s so I'm going to be replaceing Dual LNBF systems with Twins when I'm nearby an existing customer. You people may see this as violating rules. I see it as giving the best deals I can to my customers. Replacing a dual LNBF with a DishPro Twin is an upgrade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.