DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
What makes you think you could sell something that you don't own? I think your answer is in your first sentence. I guess you could sell it, but you'd have directv asking for a large sum if you don't return it to them.
 

· 1*
Joined
·
9,917 Posts
Once you deactivate it, DirecTV will be expecting you to see the receiver back to them. They will send you out a Recovery Kit for you to send the receiver back in.

- Merg
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jkaetz said:
What makes you think you could sell something that you don't own? I think your answer is in your first sentence. I guess you could sell it, but you'd have directv asking for a large sum if you don't return it to them.
I see non-owned models being sold on ebay and Amazon all the time. DirecTV still owns them so how do they sell them?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
skatingrocker17 said:
I see non-owned models being sold on ebay and Amazon all the time. DirecTV still owns them so how do they sell them?
New receivers get sold all the time.
"Used" receivers must be owned to be reactivated on another account after the access card has been replaced.

"Used leased" receivers can't be activated on another account, so if someone buys one, they're throwing their money away.
 

· Legend
Joined
·
151 Posts
It's fraud - theose people are selling devices they do not own so that the people who buy them are paying for product they can't use. The purchaser is informed by DirecTV upon an attempt to activate the unit that the unit cannot be used. Depending on the laws of the state of seller and purchaser the seller could conceivably be prosecuted for fraud or theft.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thanks. Looks like I'll just keep it then.

I do have a followup question though.

DirecTV has a promotion going on where you can get another HD-DVR for free. Say I get one, it hasn't been activated yet or anything so could I sell it?

This might not actually be possible though because I think they send someone out to instal it.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
41,526 Posts
skatingrocker17 said:
Okay thanks. Looks like I'll just keep it then.

I do have a followup question though.

DirecTV has a promotion going on where you can get another HD-DVR for free. Say I get one, it hasn't been activated yet or anything so could I sell it?

This might not actually be possible though because I think they send someone out to instal it.
It might not be able to be activated by the buyer, but regardless of that, you'd be charged for it if you didn't activated it or return it within 30 days.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16,423 Posts
skatingrocker17 said:
Okay thanks. Looks like I'll just keep it then.

I do have a followup question though.

DirecTV has a promotion going on where you can get another HD-DVR for free. Say I get one, it hasn't been activated yet or anything so could I sell it?

This might not actually be possible though because I think they send someone out to instal it.
The only people that can sell non-activated new leased receivers are Authorized DirecTV Resellers.
 

· DINFOS Trained Killer
Joined
·
1,215 Posts
you can only sell a unit you own which means you paid much more than the lease upgrade price. for instance, i got a free hd dvr upgrade when i came back to dtv last year. if i wanted to purchase that leased hr 24 it would cost me $499. then i would own it. its that simple.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
I see where you're coming from now. The "non-owned" receivers you see on ebay could have come from someplace like best buy or another authorized directv reseller. So long as the person selling the box hasn't activated it, they're in the clear. Not sure why they would do that though and it would still be worth while to get the receiver's id and check with DTV before buying it.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RunnerFL said:
The only people that can sell non-activated new leased receivers are Authorized DirecTV Resellers.
That's what I figured but it was worth getting clarification.
jkaetz said:
I see where you're coming from now. The "non-owned" receivers you see on ebay could have come from someplace like best buy or another authorized directv reseller. So long as the person selling the box hasn't activated it, they're in the clear. Not sure why they would do that though and it would still be worth while to get the receiver's id and check with DTV before buying it.
I didn't think about that. That's probably true but there are definitely some people out there trying to sell used, non-owned receivers.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top