DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently use my third coax run to distribute the video signal from the HR20 to other rooms in the house. This run goes to the outside where I split it and feed it back in to the runs going to the other rooms. (I rent so I have to jury-rig). If I need to use an outdoor antenna, can I diplex the antenna signal into the third coax run back to the HR20, or would this cause interference?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
It should work okay.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
opelap said:
I currently use my third coax run to distribute the video signal from the HR20 to other rooms in the house. This run goes to the outside where I split it and feed it back in to the runs going to the other rooms. (I rent so I have to jury-rig). If I need to use an outdoor antenna, can I diplex the antenna signal into the third coax run back to the HR20, or would this cause interference?
As I understand what you are doing it will possibly NOT work without some changes. You are suggesting diplexing the OTA AND the video from the Hr20 onto the same cable. I assume the video is coming from a modulator (channel 3?) since the HR20 does not have an RF output, and that the cable is not carrying satellite signals. First, remember that all these signals are going everywhere - you think of the signal flow as directional but it isn't. You need to be using a splitter/combiner not a diplexer. Diplexing only merges/splits satellite and OTA. Channel 3 is of course an OTA channel and so with a splitter/combiner you will be adding channel 3 to an OTA signal which may already contain noise on channel 3, so it's possible the channel 3 signal may be degraded. Your new splitter/combiner will reduce the signal coming to your HR20 by half (even though to you you are adding a signal, the splitter/combiner does not know that!!). Your "old" splitter (the one you use to drive the other TVs) will also reduce the signal coming to the HR20, and that may be a major problem.

If your "old" splitter is more than a two-way then start by replacing it with a two-way in the cable from the HR20, so you only get a 50% loss. Then split the output to the TVs however many ways you need. So the OTA cable coming from the antenna will go through one two-way split (at the point where a cable going to a multiway splitter driving the other TVs is connected) then a second two-way split (where the modulator is connected) and then a third two-way split inside the HR20. If you don't have a really strong OTA signal these three splits may reduce the signal to the point where your HR20 can't get a lock. You are only going to get one-eighth of the original signal at each HR20 tuner. If this is not enough you will need a preamp at your antenna - if you are already using a preamp then I suggest you replace the first two-way splitter with a distribution amplifier, however many outputs you need to drive your TVs PLUS the line to the HR20.

I hope this is reasonably clear, if you are having problems maybe you can PM me...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.