Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my setup...

3 recievers, 1 501, 1 5000 and 1 1000

I want to send the 501 on channel 3 and the 5000 on channel 4 throughout the house to my other tv's

Since they both have UHF remotes, I can then just take both remotes into the room and watch 2 sats on one remote tv.

What I ultimately want to have is the ability to watch something else why I record on the 501 but also have the ability to watch recordings on the 501.

What would I need to do to combine the output from the 5000 and 501? Just a splitter to join the 2 signals in reverse?

I know I would need a cable run to each tv from a central location and sat runs to the recievers. Would I need a separate run back from the 501 and 5000 or can I use a diplexer over the same run to the recievers?

I'm I totally off base thinking I can do this? What would I need if it is possible?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,478 Posts
Using ordinary splitters is not recomended for doing this - there is too much frequency spillage from the built in modulators. Plus if your area has a strong channel 3 or channel 4, you'll get interference to boot.

Let's assume you don't have a local 3 or 4. Then, if you don't want / need any local OTA channels, it might be possible to do what you wwant, but you should get 1 of those channel 3 or channel 4 $15 Signal combiners (I'm using the TruSpec SC3). As an example, let's say you got the SC3. YOu would put the channel 3 source on the channel 3 input, and the other one on the all channels input. It needs to be the expensive ones because they have the filtering to prevent the interference.

A better solution is to get UHF modulators - these frequency agile devices can be tuned to a channel that is not in your area. I'm using a device similar to this to do what your suggesting - http://www.smarthome.com/7717.html . www.smarthome.com also has other models - including stereo ones (pricey).

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never thought of the local interference.

I have a station that is at channel 4... So that might limit me.

My goal is to eliminate my cable dependency for locals, and the convienent splits to multiple tv's by simulating that with the 2 recievers.

I guess I might have to simplify the setup by just sending ch 3 out to all the rest of the tv's using my existing wiring.

I looked at that smarthome thing, which would work, except it only has one coax input and 2 RCA inputs. If my recievers were close together that would work great, but they are across the house...

I guess I'm going to have to do some more research...

·
Hall Of Fame
7,478 Posts
It works great for me - I bought it when I got my first satellite receiver, for much the same reason. I used it at that time to distribute the satellite feed and my lifeline locals seamlessly. And when I added the 2nd receiver, I put it in the same room so I could distribute it as well.

Couple things you could do - move the 5000 to the same location as your 501, or you could run a coax using channel 3 on the 5000 to where the box is.

·
Cool Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm putting a diagram together that shows how I've got this wired...

Assuming that I could run a coax from the 5000, could I do this over the same wire for the sat using a diplexer? Or would I need to run a separate wire back to where I'd distribute the signal?

·
Hall Of Fame
7,478 Posts
I don't see any reason why your proposed setup shouldn't work. I'd at least give it a try.

What I had in mind was running an RF coax from the 5000 to where you have your 501, then you could modulate the 501 to UHF, then distribute. But it does involve extra wire runs.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Smarthome.com has better RF modulators for what you desire to do. Specifically, for sending two receivers' outputs to other TV, look at - http://www.smarthome.com/7781a.html , which looks like a good product for your needs. This will give you a better picture, stronger signal, and stereo sound (built in modulator is monophonic)

·
Icon
708 Posts
I had to run seperate coax from each receiver to each slave TV. Combiners only caused channel 3 and 4 bleed so neither channel was watchable. Obviously you can kick the frequencies up to UHF and seperate them, but coax is cheap.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,530 Posts
If all your TV's have access to the "main line" of signal distribution, you can put modulators in different locations in the house without any problem. I have modulators at several locations that send signals to a main distribution point where they are combined for whole-house use. It works fine. For example, a VCR in my office outputs on channel 42 and is available everywhere in the house. The DVD player is in the family room and uses channel 38. Two receivers use 14 and 18.

I recommend you look to eBay for alternate sources of modulators. I originally bought one from SmartHome and was disappointed to learn that I paid a LOT more than others charged for the same item.

If you visit eBay, do a search for "channel modulator" to get an idea of what's available.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
Yes, that is the downside to SmartHome. They are expensive. For example the modulator I made a link to is $450. But, it is (IMHO) worth the extra to buy from a reliable dealer.

·
God Bless America!
2,538 Posts
For what James? If you're refering to the fact I put in my Avatar a little early (like, by 10mins) it was just so it would get more visibilty before I take it down...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.