DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Icon
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im getting DN next week, HD DVR. They told me if i have it connected to a phoneline or internet i save $5. Is there a way i can just bridge it to my laptop to call home now and then or does it call home ever few mins to check. If so when does it call home so i can connect it then.

Also, instead of using the DVR for 2 tv's can I just use it for 1 and have 4 tuners one 1 tv?

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
The DVR only has 2 Sat tuners total and one OTA tuner not two tuners per TV. IF you run in Dual mode the 722/622 behaves like two Single HD DVRS for the most part. At the most One 722/622 has 3 HD/SD tuners. Two for Sat and one for SD. I would suggest reading the 722 first look document located at the sticky thread on top. Should give you a better idea of how the 722/622 works.

As for the phoneline/internet thing. I would suggest keeping it connected to one or the other. One thing you can do if you don't have connectivity to your Internet is use a HomePlug device that will bridge your DVR to your DSL/Cable router through your electrical lines. I have one and it works very good.

· Icon
837 Posts
What kind of Internet access do you have?

I would think that a bridge would work if you are connected to the Internet on one network card (i.e. mobile broadband, or wireless) and connect your receiver to your laptop via your Ethernet card.

However, I'm not sure when it calls home, so that could be a problem. It is best to provide it with a constant connection to Ethernet or phone.

Can you force it to connect to check in when you have it connected?

· Hall Of Fame
1,286 Posts
Can you force it to connect to check in when you have it connected?
You can force it to connect to check if it is working, but it has to be connected when the system tells it to check in order to get the fee waived.

· Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
puckwithahalo said:
You can force it to connect to check if it is working, but it has to be connected when the system tells it to check in order to get the fee waived.
You can force it to connect, if and only if, a connection is pending, i.e was missed. Works for those who don't always have theirs connected to a phone line/internet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.