DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Legend
Joined
·
194 Posts
AirRocker said:
I didn't think you could drop them... I thought they were now included in every package... but if they're not available in your area, you get a small credit...
You are correct, and a bit incorrect (I think). If SD is not available, you can get a small ($3?) reduction but if HD is inavailable (and SD is available), then it is just a message to have patience. Some day you'll get your HD locals....
 

· Icon
Joined
·
507 Posts
Interesting... My installer made a call to D* for me to have them added, but it was a misunderstanding... I don't want them, as an AM21 was planned... Glad they did not get added as I bet getting them off would have been a RPITA.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
4,481 Posts
Villager said:
You are correct, and a bit incorrect (I think). If SD is not available, you can get a small ($3?) reduction but if HD is inavailable (and SD is available), then it is just a message to have patience. Some day you'll get your HD locals....
now we are getting hairy.

One can remove the local channels SD (not recommended) but the savings is $3.00 remember however no SD channels NO HD either

if you have SD locals, and no HD locals, a waiver for HD DNS can be applied for. when Directv gets the locals in HD, the HD DNS will melt away like snow in the summer
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
8,968 Posts
Keep in mind that if you drop locals, you will also lose the guide data for your OTA channels, assuming you're tuning them via the HR20.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
290 Posts
curt8403 said:
now we are getting hairy.

One can remove the local channels SD (not recommended) but the savings is $3.00 remember however no SD channels NO HD either

if you have SD locals, and no HD locals, a waiver for HD DNS can be applied for. when Directv gets the locals in HD, the HD DNS will melt away like snow in the summer
Can you get the waiver if you can get the HD locals OTA but not on D*?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,724 Posts
What happens if you have DNS HD and then DirecTV offers HD locals, but not all networks are included? We don't have an NBC OTA affiliate, so I hope that NBC DNS would remain. But, maybe by the time DirecTV offers locals here we will have an NBC affiliate.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
19 Posts
IIP said:
Keep in mind that if you drop locals, you will also lose the guide data for your OTA channels, assuming you're tuning them via the HR20.
This is not true - you won't loose your guide data for OTA channels. I've NEVER had locals on DirecTV and I have an HR20, and 2 H20's. I get guide data on all of them for the local digital OTA channels.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
68 Posts
SD locals were recently added in my area (HD locals only via OTA currently). I have not yet subscribed. My bill has not changed - it does not show any credit for the fact that I am not getting the locals. Is this correct?
 

· Legend
Joined
·
124 Posts
egould said:
SD locals were recently added in my area (HD locals only via OTA currently). I have not yet subscribed. My bill has not changed - it does not show any credit for the fact that I am not getting the locals. Is this correct?
It doesn't show the discount because your base package is priced as the "without locals" rate anyway. You would need to call in to get them if you wanted them.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,734 Posts
OK, the way it's been explained to dealers for the past couple years...

-New subs are REQUIRED to take locals IF available in their market; if they are not, then their package price is reduced by $3 (bill will show package name w/out locals)
-Existing subs that do NOT have locals are NOT required to take them, but once they get them, they CANNOT remove them from their account

And rubble IS correct - getting OTA guide data is NOT dependant on getting locals or not.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
507 Posts
rubble3 said:
This is not true - you won't loose your guide data for OTA channels. I've NEVER had locals on DirecTV and I have an HR20, and 2 H20's. I get guide data on all of them for the local digital OTA channels.
I concur... In fact, my old sat, no longer connected to a dish, still gets the guide data from the OTA signal... Each channel can broadcast this info with the digital stream... However, since some of my locals do this better than others, I'm 99% sure I'm still getting my local guide data (on my new HR21) from D*, even though I am not a local subscriber.

If true, it would make me say, "Then why am I getting guide data for all the other channels I don't subscribe to?"
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
6,724 Posts
dishrich said:
OK, the way it's been explained to dealers for the past couple years...

-New subs are REQUIRED to take locals IF available in their market; if they are not, then their package price is reduced by $3 (bill will show package name w/out locals)
-Existing subs that do NOT have locals are NOT required to take them, but once they get them, they CANNOT remove them from their account...
What happens if ALL locals don't include ALL of the broadcast networks? Will DirecTV provide the missing ones in some manner?
 

· Icon
Joined
·
864 Posts
Actually this is wrong. They can not force you to take locals and charge you for them if you do not want them. I suggest you call one of the CSR's on the phone and tell them you want to drop them now, if you wish to. They can not make you take any programing you do not want.
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top