DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through lots of posts to try to piece together our options. After seeing some frustrated posts by experts trying to guess what posters were asking for, I thought I'd try another way.

I'm trying to "update" our equipment where needed. I'll give you what we have on hand now. I'd appreciate any advice on what equip. I need to get there.

Currently we have two TVs with HD capabilities. We have two SD tvs also in the house. We currently own outright:

One each 921 HD DVR (dual tuner)
One each 721 SD DVR (dual tuner)
One each 7200 SD Dishplayer (single tuner)
One each 5XX SD DVR (single tuner)

On roof, I have a Dish 500 dish with the dual LNBs(?) and then a single stand alone dish with a single lnb that they brought out free of charge to bring in locals. This second dish is no longer attached since locals are on one of the two sats that the main dish points to now (Los Angeles area).

Both roof dishes are connected to two eaves mounted SW64 switches that are daisychained together (what a total mess). Although out of the weather, they seem to go bad a few times a year, necessitating that Dish send out a replacement that I then install.

Where I'd like to go:

I'd like to upgrade the dish/lnb (or whatever they are called now) so that I can get a single cable run into the house (or two if necessary). I'd like to then put whatever switches are needed into a closet inside the home as a distribution point.

From there I'd like, if possible, a single run from the switches to each TV location throughout the house (splitting at the endpoint if needed for dual tuners).

Finally, the Dishplayer still incurs a $10/mo "recorder fee" so we'd like to drop it or upgrade it to a larger capacity dual tuner DVR at the least.

On programming, we'd like to upgrade to the HD programming, hopefully to run it to at least two of the existing 4 locations.

Questions:

Can I keep and use any of the existing stuff?
Are all new Dish DVRs leased?
What are the new dish and switch technologies called (point me to a faq if possible).

Help!

aiki

·
Hall Of Fame
1,105 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,579 Posts
To run single coaxs to dual tuner receivers you must use Dish Pro Plus technology. DPP is available as a Twin or a DPP44 switch, at the receiver you use a separator.
For HDTV you can use the 921 on one set but you will be limited to existing channels you can't add any MPEG4 channels.
The 622 can be leased for $199 or purchased for $599.

With DPP technology you could still use your Legacy 7200 but seeing you want to replace it you can get a 625 dual tuner and trade the $10 for $6 DVR fee.

You should need a DISH 1000 for the new HD packs which DISH should furnish if you upgrade through them.

·
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got one link to Dish network's tech site (completely useless, and I'd already been thre anyway) and another that sorta randomly names various pieces of Dish equipment.

Mkkkay...

<shuffles off to piece together his own answer in frustration and disgust>

I expected better from the varsity squad.

aiki

·
Legend
160 Posts
Have a little patience aikidokap ;).

From what you have there the easiest way to go would be to install a Dish Pro Plus 44 switch. You may have to switch out the LNBs for DishPro LNBs as you can't use legacy LNBs with the DPP44 switch. You will need two cable runs (assuming 2 satellite locations here) from the dish to the DPP44 switch. There is one problem with this scenario though in terms of the HD programming. A lot of the HD programming is located at either the 61.5, 148 or 129 location. You can pick up a fair amount off the 110 location but in order to get all of the programming from an HD programming package upgrade you'd have to either install a Dish 1000 (may not be ideal depending on your location) or install another dish pointed at the appropriate location. In that case you will need a third cable run from the dish(es) to the switch. Also be aware that the DPP44 switch is a powered switch so you will need to place a power inserter on the first line. I almost forgot to mention that if you want to upgrade your HD programming package you will need a MPEG 4 capable receiver as boba mentioned. So to sum it up here is what you're looking at in order to upgrade your setup:

Dish:

Either a Dish 500+ or a secondary dish for the appropriate location

Switch:

Dish Pro Plus 44

Receivers:

921 swap for 622 (pair of them if you want HD programming on both TVs)
721 keep
7200 drop
501 drop & swap for a Dish 625/522 your choice on purchase or lease. They aren't too expensive to purchase though.

Line Situation:

Dish 1000 or a pair of Dish 500s

Three lines from Dish(es) to DPP44 Switch
One line from DPP44 to DPP separator to 622 receiver
One line from DPP44 to DPP separator to 721 receiver
One line from DPP44 to DPP separator to 625 receiver

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.