DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through lots of posts to try to piece together our options. After seeing some frustrated posts by experts trying to guess what posters were asking for, I thought I'd try another way.

I'm trying to "update" our equipment where needed. I'll give you what we have on hand now. I'd appreciate any advice on what equip. I need to get there.

Currently we have two TVs with HD capabilities. We have two SD tvs also in the house. We currently own outright:

One each 921 HD DVR (dual tuner)
One each 721 SD DVR (dual tuner)
One each 7200 SD Dishplayer (single tuner)
One each 5XX SD DVR (single tuner)

On roof, I have a Dish 500 dish with the dual LNBs(?) and then a single stand alone dish with a single lnb that they brought out free of charge to bring in locals. This second dish is no longer attached since locals are on one of the two sats that the main dish points to now (Los Angeles area).

Both roof dishes are connected to two eaves mounted SW64 switches that are daisychained together (what a total mess). Although out of the weather, they seem to go bad a few times a year, necessitating that Dish send out a replacement that I then install.

Where I'd like to go:

I'd like to upgrade the dish/lnb (or whatever they are called now) so that I can get a single cable run into the house (or two if necessary). I'd like to then put whatever switches are needed into a closet inside the home as a distribution point.

From there I'd like, if possible, a single run from the switches to each TV location throughout the house (splitting at the endpoint if needed for dual tuners).

Finally, the Dishplayer still incurs a $10/mo "recorder fee" so we'd like to drop it or upgrade it to a larger capacity dual tuner DVR at the least.

On programming, we'd like to upgrade to the HD programming, hopefully to run it to at least two of the existing 4 locations.

Questions:

Can I keep and use any of the existing stuff?
Are all new Dish DVRs leased?
What are the new dish and switch technologies called (point me to a faq if possible).

Help!

aiki

2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got one link to Dish network's tech site (completely useless, and I'd already been thre anyway) and another that sorta randomly names various pieces of Dish equipment.

Mkkkay...

<shuffles off to piece together his own answer in frustration and disgust>

I expected better from the varsity squad.

aiki

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.