Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks....

I have a ratty looking Dish 500. Can I paint it? What I want to do is buy a rattle can of gray metal paint, and spray paint it.

Can I do this, or do I have considerations because it is a reflector for satellite signals?

Thanks in advance.

Mr. Aroid

·
Legend
109 Posts
I have a dish 500 too but the manuel says if you paint it it can cause signal loss.

·
Legend
106 Posts
Have you ever watched a Nascar Race on TV ? Every Drivers Pit area has a Dish and there all Painted !! As long as you use a Matt Finish Paint, you'll be fine ! I've had mine painted a Tan color to match my house now for about 5 years. Never had any problem !! Just don't paint the LNB Lenses !

Why do you think they Sell these if they didn't work? :D
http://dishskinz.com/store/fun_skinz.html

·
Hall Of Fame
1,340 Posts
Since the powder coating on the dish is a polyester plastic, a special paint for plastic like Krylon Fusion is a good choice. It is about $4 for a spray can at Walmart.

I have customer who wanted as discrete a setup as possible. He has Dish500 with which I used an 18 inch DirecTV dish pan. It is painted Hunter Green and sits between a couple of bushes on a pole.

Almost all of the transponders get an 80-110 signal strength on his 322's.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,474 Posts
Cool story, Mike! I'll keep that in mind if I should ever become considerate enough to hide my dishes from my neighbors. :D

·
Legend
192 Posts
DougRuss said:
Have you ever watched a Nascar Race on TV ? Every Drivers Pit area has a Dish and there all Painted !! As long as you use a Matt Finish Paint, you'll be fine ! I've had mine painted a Tan color to match my house now for about 5 years. Never had any problem !! Just don't paint the LNB Lenses !

I'm gonna paint mine Home Depot orange and put #20 decals on both of 'em.

Mostly to go with the big flag on the front porch, but also to solidify my reputation as the single biggest ******* in this part of the state.

Who else do you know who puts up a tent outside, fires up the grill and takes a television and satellite receiver out there to watch Saturday night races?

·
Legend
163 Posts
DougRuss said:

If the Smiley face would fit on a 1000+ I would so have one!! :)

e..b
:)

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
robert koerner said:
Why did you get, or would we get, better results with mat vrs, semi, or gloss?

bob
The semi & gloss versions usually have metal particles in them that could cause a problem in reflection.

·
Legend
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks all for the info. I have decided that I don't have enought detailed intell to paint my dish at this time. I am in the PNW, and I need every bit of gain for that pesky 129 HD satellite. I think I will re visit this isue when I know more.

Thanks again

mraroid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.