DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my stupid local NBC affiliate is blocking DTV from us.
Is there a way to plug an OTA antennae into the HR21 to recover these stations while my local is busy being dicks to us?

I really can't believe a small affiliate (3 stations: 2 in Boston [NBC and CW], 1 in Miami [Fox]) is doing this. NBC is so hurting for ratings that they'd remove such a large market?

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Only if you have the DirecTv external OTA tuner plugged into it. You can, however, plug an antenna into the coax jack on your TV, and do a channel scan, and the TV will most likely pick up the missing channel on its tuner. Most HDTVs have a digital tuner in them.

If you have cable internet, you might plug that into your tv as well, as you might get the locals off cable, as they are not usually scrambled.

· Legend
302 Posts
You are looking for the AM21 Off Air Tuner.
Login to the Directv website, click on "My Equipment" in the middle of the page, then click on "Accessories".
$50 one time charge, and does not extend your Directv contract.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,619 Posts
chapel said:
I assume there's no way to get access to 392 (NBC-NY)?
You would need to qualify for Distant Network Services. If there's any chance you can get your station OTA, qualifying isn't likely.

If you need to use your DIRECTV DVR to record NBC, the AM21 with an OTA antenna is your only option.

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
chapel said:
I do have at home 'basic cable' so I can get internet... but I assume it won't be HD?
Depends on your cable company. Ours has both SD and HD locals in the clear that the tv tuner can get, but they channel numbers are really weird.

· Hall Of Fame
8,426 Posts
If you buy the AM21 you can Select a Primary DMA and a Secondary DMA which would give you access to more Channels.

I have had it for years and I just love it especially when Bad Weather comes in and I lose my Directv Signal but I can still watch my Local Channels via OTA.

For $50 it is a Great Deal!!! :hurah:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.