DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Dish VIP722 with a 6.3 Pro IR/UHF on TV1. I would like to add an identical remote to TV1. In other words, control Dish TV1 with either remote. (TV2 has a its own remote and thats the way it will stay).

My question is.. is this possible? When you set up the remote, you have to hit record on the remote to register the remote's address with the VIP722. How can I get the 2nd remote to work without changing the address so both will work??

Thanks for any help.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the VIP722 receiver which has a separate tuner for TV1 and for TV2. The 722 is in dual mode. TV2 has its own remote and working fine. This does not involve TV2 remote or TV2 tuner.

I have two 6.3 Pro ir/uhf remotes which I want to share control of TV1. The room is large and I want my wife to have a remote by her chair.

I want 2 remotes (lets call them A and B) to share control of TV1 Dish tuner. When I setup A on the VIP722, it works, but then B does not work and vice versa. When you set up the one remote, I think it sets the 722 to its address, which means the other remote won't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I guess I have to get both remotes to have the same address?? I don't know if thats
even possible. Thats what I'm asking. Sorry if I didn't make that clear before.
Thanks

· Hall Of Fame
7,510 Posts
boba said:
How many rooms do you have connected in your house? With the price of remotes on Ebay you can put 1 in each room. I think I used to have 5 setup for my 625.
"Rooms" or TV's ? :D

4 different rooms, 6-8 tuners depending on how you count.

I use one of these http://www.smarthome.com/7717.html ,
and also connect a distribution amp, so I can drive all these TV reception devices. It's also connected to my OTA antennas.

However, since there is only the 2 of us, we only have the 2 TV1 remotes and 1 TV2 remote.

· AllStar/Supporter
886 Posts
SM88, I have a 622 in a large room with a 61" monitor. I have both remotes that came with the 622 in use in that room--one for the first row of chairs and one for the second row. I have the 622 in single mode. I didn't have any trouble setting the remotes to the same address and getting them to work.

Is that closer to what you want to do, except in dual mode? Then you can use the 6.3 Pro IR/UHF on TV2--or the current TV2 remote IF it didn't come with the 722, since that's my 2nd remote on TV1.

· Hall Of Fame
1,633 Posts
I think I know what you're asking, and I believe it is possible, as I have a similar setup for TV2 on my 622. TV2 signal goes into a splitter and feeds different TVs in the LR and BR. We never watch both at once, but don't wnat to carry a remote back and forth, so I bought a second one. There is a special setup you have to go through that isn't documented in the manual very well (if at all) but I don't remember what it is. A CSR should be able to help with that, though.

-Chris

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks eveyrone for your help. 4HiMArks your situation is similar. The only differnece is I need 2 remotes to work on TV1. They both will control the same TV. Sometimes I can't find the remote my wife has used so I just want 2 for the same TV. Sometimes she will control it and sometimes I will. I guess I am basically lazy and don't want to get her remote, so it would be nice to have 2 and not hand off to each other all the time.

Thanks for the welcome Charise!

· Hall Of Fame
1,633 Posts
IIRC, when you buy a 2nd remote, they give you a collection of little tabs to insert in the base. Each tab is like a jigsaw puzzle piece that sets a dip switch inside the body of the remote. Which tab you use determines whether it is a TV1 or TV2 remote and IR or RF, I think. The only difference I see between your situation and mine is that my two TV2 remotes have different codes for controlling the TV since they are different models, and yours would be the same.

Too bad you're not in my situation. My GF claims she doesn't know how to use the remotes, so I'm the only one who ever touches any of them. Of course the next thing she says is "I only need one remote" and makes button-pushing motions while pointing an invisible remote at me. ;-)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.