DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Legend
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not hooked up to a phone line because I use a cell phone. The HR-21 works fine without a phone line. To order PPV I log on to DirecTV.com and then watch the show.

I think it is correct that you don't pay for a PPV that you record to your DVR from the Guide until you watch it. But, when you order it from the website I think you pay for it when you click the order button.

I want to record "Bucket List" and watch it sometime this week.

What happens when I order a PPV on line and set the DVR to record it?
-- Does it stay on my DVR for multple viewings?
-- Does it stay on the DVR until I watch it?
-- Is there time limit for watching it? Or, does it disappear?

Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
bsprague said:
I'm not hooked up to a phone line because I use a cell phone. The HR-21 works fine without a phone line. To order PPV I log on to DirecTV.com and then watch the show.

I think it is correct that you don't pay for a PPV that you record to your DVR from the Guide until you watch it. But, when you order it from the website I think you pay for it when you click the order button.

I want to record "Bucket List" and watch it sometime this week.

What happens when I order a PPV on line and set the DVR to record it?
-- Does it stay on my DVR for multple viewings?
-- Does it stay on the DVR until I watch it?
-- Is there time limit for watching it? Or, does it disappear?

Thanks.

Bill
WHen you download the movie you'll see an expiration date in the listing for the movie. That means you have until that day to start watching the download. You don't pay for the movie until you watch it, so if you go past that expiration, there's no charge, but the movie is deleted from your drive after that date.

Once you start to watch the movie you will be charged for the movie and you have 24 hours (this isn't DirecTV's rules, but those of the studios) to watch the movie. You can watch it as many times in that 24 hours as you want, but after that 24 hours the movie is automatically deleted from your hard drive.

Hope that answers your questions.

·
Icon
507 Posts
I have not ordered a movie via the website, but what if you use the "DVR SCHEDULER" feature (this of course assumes your DVR is connected to the Internet)? Meaning you go to directv.com/tvlistings and schedule the recording from there. That might be better than the order method (do you pay up front when you order?), but like I said, I have done neither, well I've used the scheduler, but not for PPV

·
Icon
507 Posts
Thanks for the clarification... I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve!

·
Legend
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MartyS said:
WHen you download the movie you'll see an expiration date in the listing for the movie. That means you have until that day to start watching the download. You don't pay for the movie until you watch it, so if you go past that expiration, there's no charge, but the movie is deleted from your drive after that date.

Once you start to watch the movie you will be charged for the movie and you have 24 hours (this isn't DirecTV's rules, but those of the studios) to watch the movie. You can watch it as many times in that 24 hours as you want, but after that 24 hours the movie is automatically deleted from your hard drive.

Hope that answers your questions.
I'll try it. It's only a couple bucks.

But, I think I pay up front when I order on DirecTV.com. Because the HR-21 is not connected to a phone line, DirecTV computers have no idea when I start watching the movie or even if I watch it.

·
Legend
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tcusta00 said:
The 24 hour clock and payment triggers don't start until you watch the program, no matter the method used.
How does that work?

I can see how the HR-21 could start a clock when I start watching the movie. But how would it trigger the billing. Since I'm not hooked to a phone line, the HR-21 can't send anything to DirecTV so DirecTV has no idea if or when I actually watch the movie.

·
Icon
507 Posts
Interesting point...

So your HR21 is not connected to the Internet either, right?

·
Legend
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
EricJRW said:
I have not ordered a movie via the website, but what if you use the "DVR SCHEDULER" feature (this of course assumes your DVR is connected to the Internet)? Meaning you go to directv.com/tvlistings and schedule the recording from there. That might be better than the order method (do you pay up front when you order?), but like I said, I have done neither, well I've used the scheduler, but not for PPV
I'm going to try that. Even though the HR-21 is not connected to a phone line the "DVR SCHEDULER" function works. So apparently the HR-21 can get instructions from the satellite.

·
Cool Member
22 Posts
I recently bought Fools Gold which was the first time I buy a ppv with the new rules. When it recorded it showed a expiration date 1 month from the day it recorded. When I went to watch it it asked me if I wanted to pay the $3.99 or cancel. When I accepted the purchase the expiration changed to 24 hours from the moment I started watching the movie. After the 24hrs the movie did not delete from list. When I tried to watch it again it asked me if I wanted to pay the $3.99 to watch it again or cancel. Long story short, be careful watchin g again after expiration because they will charge you.

·
Legend
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
EricJRW said:
Interesting point...

So your HR21 is not connected to the Internet either, right?
No, it is connected to nothing besides 120 volt power.

Because I travel in a motorhome a lot I switched everything to wireless. We use two cell phones, an "aircard" for wireless internet and have DVRs in both the motorhome and condo.

So far the only thing that I can't do is Video on Demand (VOD) due to limits Verizon put on aircard accounts. I think a single HD movie would max out the monthly 5 gig limit.

·
Icon
507 Posts
Interesting situation... Somehow I think some of these features did not consider your setup... On another note, with free WiFi available in so many areas, perhaps a wireless router on your DVR might be the way to go... In my travels through Texas, most rest areas have free WiFi, as do the 24-hour McDonald's that I've found... So in those situations, you could use free WiFi vs. the AirCard... Just a thought... Might even work at home too, if a neighbor will share their connection (that's what my brother does).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.