Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Godfather
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...

Got screwed... Originally was supposed to get my AT9 dish and HR20 installed tomorrow... Unfortunately, they ran out of dishes... so now I am scheduled out into the latter part of January!!!

So here is my question...

I already have the HR20 receiver/DVR... And if I recall correctly, the bay area is enabled on OTA... Any chance I would be able to have them activate my receiver so that I can record OTA HD programming while I wait for them to come and install my AT9 dish?

I currently have an eliptical dish with two LNB (I don't have the middle one installed)...

Thanks all!

·
Legend in his own mind...
324 Posts
You should be able to call D* and activate it yourself. Hard part is going to be getting the software update to enable the OTA.

Santa will have to come again, or D* will have to make the nationwide release of 0x10B (or later) for your OTA tuners to become active.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
MikeekiM said:
Hi All...

Got screwed... Originally was supposed to get my AT9 dish and HR20 installed tomorrow... Unfortunately, they ran out of dishes... so now I am scheduled out into the latter part of January!!!

I already have the HR20 receiver/DVR... And if I recall correctly, the bay area is enabled on OTA... Any chance I would be able to have them activate my receiver so that I can record OTA HD programming while I wait for them to come and install my AT9 dish?

I currently have an eliptical dish with two LNB (I don't have the middle one installed)...

Thanks all!
MikeekiM,

OTA would require any of the more recent release candidates installed on your receiver. If it doesn't already have it now, you most likely will not be able to get it installed ahead of the national release, which could be this week or it could be next week. (Or after that...)

Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
Only via the "Santa" special deliveries. (Or an HR10...) Sorry.

Merry Christmas,
Tom

·
Godfather
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tibber said:
Only via the "Santa" special deliveries. (Or an HR10...) Sorry.

Merry Christmas,
Tom
Dagnabbit!

I was actually trying to avoid hoisting an antenna... But I really don't want to go through the holidays without HD content... I have had my 60" SXRD for 3 weeks now, with no HD signal pumping through it!!!

If I have to wait until late January, I may just bite the bullet and get an antenna hoisted...

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
I would suggest hoisting that antenna. For me, having lived in the Bay Area and now SLC, I experienced noticeably better picture quality on OTA than delivered via satellite for local channels. And the Bay Area is blessed with so many subchannels of content that you will probably never see from satellite.

I totally understand the frustration of having an HD TV with no content available. Hold up, it will come. It will come...

And Have a Merry Christmas!
Tom

·
7 Posts
MikeekiM said:
Oh.... So the SF Bay Area is not already turned on for OTA?
It has been reported here that the west coast, which includes the Bay Area, has been receiving the 0x10B update for over a week (they were first in the staggered rollout). "Santa's visit" affected the rest of the country. In other words, you should get the update and not have to wait for or beg D*.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
MikeekiM said:
Oh.... So the SF Bay Area is not already turned on for OTA?
National rollout starting this week, likely starting in the Bay Area! (Maybe tonight?)

Cheers,
Tom

·
Godfather
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
tibber said:
I would suggest hoisting that antenna. For me, having lived in the Bay Area and now SLC, I experienced noticeably better picture quality on OTA than delivered via satellite for local channels. And the Bay Area is blessed with so many subchannels of content that you will probably never see from satellite.

I totally understand the frustration of having an HD TV with no content available. Hold up, it will come. It will come...

And Have a Merry Christmas!
Tom
Thanks... I'm going to look into hoisting an antenna this week!

BTW, how high do you figure I should go? I live in Sunnyvale and live in a single story ranch... I have not had much luck with a 10 foot antenna from my chimney...

A friend of mine is suggesting a 40' from the pitch of the roof... I am just a tad concerned that it will look like crap... but then again, will it look worse than a 30' or 20'? It's gonna be an eyesore no matter what I suppose...

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,332 Posts
MikeekiM said:
Thanks... I'm going to look into hoisting an antenna this week!

BTW, how high do you figure I should go? I live in Sunnyvale and live in a single story ranch... I have not had much luck with a 10 foot antenna from my chimney...

A friend of mine is suggesting a 40' from the pitch of the roof... I am just a tad concerned that it will look like crap... but then again, will it look worse than a 30' or 20'? It's gonna be an eyesore no matter what I suppose...
Based on http://www.antennaweb.org, using zipcode 95051 for sunnyvale, you might not have too much trouble. All depends on what hill is between you and Sutro tower in the city. I suggest you put your specific info in antennaweb.org and see what you get. I had a small UHF-only in my attic in East Bay and didn't have any problems at all--but I had clear line of site.

Good luck,
Tom

·
Icon
563 Posts
MikeekiM said:
Hi All...

Thanks all!
MPEG2 HD stuff should work including a few channels that are on 101,110 or 119 like espn,hbo HD etc

·
Godfather
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
dvrblogger said:
MPEG2 HD stuff should work including a few channels that are on 101,110 or 119 like espn,hbo HD etc
Really? Even without the middle LNB installed?

Can I activate my HR20 with in my current situation and still get software updates, etc... Just not actually pull down MPEG4 (or MPEG2 depending on the answer to my question about the middle LNB)?

·
Godfather
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
tibber said:
Based on http://www.antennaweb.org, using zipcode 95051 for sunnyvale, you might not have too much trouble. All depends on what hill is between you and Sutro tower in the city. I suggest you put your specific info in antennaweb.org and see what you get. I had a small UHF-only in my attic in East Bay and didn't have any problems at all--but I had clear line of site.

Good luck,
Tom
I am in 94087... And I would be able to go down lower with a UHF only antenna...

But I am going to install a UHF/VHF... Stations are demanding their VHF designators back, so hoisting a UHF/VHF is future-proofing for me... NBC in the bay area is on VHF...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.