DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am paying just over $100/month for one HD DVR and the Preferred Xtra package, with the help of a $40/month loyalty discount that is expiring soon.

I am about to call DTV to request another significant loyalty discount.

I do not watch live TV. Most of the time, I watch my shows via channel apps (using Apple TV or Roku), for improved picture quality (usually 1080p). I could get by just fine using my DTV credentials to sign in to channel apps to watch shows, and never use my DVR.

I'm considering requesting a discount in order to be able to do this. I wonder if I could get rid of the $3 Whole-Home DVR Service fee, $10 Advanced Receiver Service - HD fee, and $10 Advanced Receiver Service - DVR fee. What do you think? Has anyone else done this before?

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
DIRECTV currently doesn't support viewing DVR content using the DIRECTV app.

You can watch streamed DIRECTV satellite content on the Internet to your heart's content but to get some local channels and other content that isn't streamed by DIRECTV satellite, you'll need to use a receiver or a Genie Mini attached to a Genie.

If your goal is to be free of STBs, you should look into DIRECTV's streaming offering, DIRECTV STREAM, or that of one of their competitors. There, the full pallette of content will be available without a leased box.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you have a smart tv? Samsung and LG provides several internet channels for free

Sent from my SM-F936U using Tapatalk
I have an LG OLED TV.
DIRECTV currently doesn't support viewing DVR content using the DIRECTV app.

You can watch streamed DIRECTV satellite content on the Internet to your heart's content but to get some local channels and other content that isn't streamed by DIRECTV satellite, you'll need to use a receiver or a Genie Mini attached to a Genie.

If your goal is to be free of STBs, you should look into DIRECTV's streaming offering, DIRECTV STREAM, or that of one of their competitors. There, the full pallette of content will be available without a leased box.
I have an LG OLED smart TV.

I'm talking about viewing content on channel apps such as MTV, Watch TBS, Adult Swim and HGTV, not the DIRECT app. I am not interested in live TV or local channels.

My goal is to save money while still watching my DTV content on channel apps rather than using the satellite dish and DVR, something I rarely need to do.

· Hall Of Fame
3,736 Posts
Oh man the LG OLED TV doesn't have the DirecTV Stream app natively available for it. I know, isn't that odd? For a flagship TV with a top-of-the-line picture, infinite contrast, the only real MSO provider app I've seen available on it is xfinity.

Sure you can try the individual apps like you said but theres no way they would discount for just using content provider's apps. The LG Channels app, a collection of Pluto TV / Xumo and a few LG exclusives paired with OTA and other content providers apps would be an option. But then again most wont let you view anything unless you have a login with a provider - case in point you need to pay for DirecTV.

26,462 Posts
I am not interested in live TV or local channels.
Then your almost certainly subscribing to the wrong service. There are much cheaper ways to get the channels you noted in the delivery format that you seek.

· Registered
135 Posts
The DIRECTV STREAM Osprey box, I believe it does with the Google Play Store. If u don’t watch much sports you could probably go by with the Choice package of DIRECTV STREAAM. Check the channel lineup on their website.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
From what I understand, the OP doesn't watch anything on DirecTV Satellite at all, but is using the app for each channel (i.e. the TBS app, the USA Network app., etc.) So first question is, do THOSE apps require you have a cable/sat subscription to access their content? If so, then I agree with most folks here, a cheaper, streaming service is probably what you are looking for. Check out YouTubeTV, Hulu Live Streaming, Fubo, DirecTV Stream and a few other services that might work for you and be cheaper. If those channels DON'T offer anything without a cable/Sat subscription, there are a couple of ways you can go. There are individual apps that, for a fee, would allow you to stream most of that content (for example Hulu offers a lot of what is on ABC/Disney Channel, Fox, and a few others, Peacock offers the Universal/NBC owned channels/content, Paramount+ does the same with CBS/Comedy Central/MTV and others.) And there are others. So you can check out those streaming offerings.

The first suggestion, would give you an interface similar to cable/satellite, with live TV and individual channels. The latter is more of an OnDemand situation. You pick the shows you like to watch, and watch at your convenience.

With ANY of the above you don't need any type of "cable/Sat" box, and can use your Roku or Apple TV boxes. DirecTV Stream does offer their own streaming box that has DirecTV Stream channels built in as well as other streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. You aren't REQUIRED to use that box and can stream on your existing boxes (only downside is no direct tuning through channel numbers).

26,462 Posts
If using network-specific apps is the goal, the solution will come from a service that provides "authentication" for the networks that they carry. Given the variety of UIs and app features and performance, I'm not convinced that goal is the best approach but that's another discussion.

It appears that some networks are still only available through authentication.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
From what I understand, the OP doesn't watch anything on DirecTV Satellite at all, but is using the app for each channel (i.e. the TBS app, the USA Network app., etc.) So first question is, do THOSE apps require you have a cable/sat subscription to access their content? If so, then I agree with most folks here, a cheaper, streaming service is probably what you are looking for. Check out YouTubeTV, Hulu Live Streaming, Fubo, DirecTV Stream and a few other services that might work for you and be cheaper. If those channels DON'T offer anything without a cable/Sat subscription, there are a couple of ways you can go. There are individual apps that, for a fee, would allow you to stream most of that content (for example Hulu offers a lot of what is on ABC/Disney Channel, Fox, and a few others, Peacock offers the Universal/NBC owned channels/content, Paramount+ does the same with CBS/Comedy Central/MTV and others.) And there are others. So you can check out those streaming offerings.

The first suggestion, would give you an interface similar to cable/satellite, with live TV and individual channels. The latter is more of an OnDemand situation. You pick the shows you like to watch, and watch at your convenience.

With ANY of the above you don't need any type of "cable/Sat" box, and can use your Roku or Apple TV boxes. DirecTV Stream does offer their own streaming box that has DirecTV Stream channels built in as well as other streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Prime etc. You aren't REQUIRED to use that box and can stream on your existing boxes (only downside is no direct tuning through channel numbers).
I currently use Hulu for Fox/ABC/FX programming, Paramount+ for Comedy Central, and so on. There are some shows that don't end up on those types of streamers for quite a while, and so I wish to have access to channel apps such as MTV, TBS, HGTV, NBC, and Adult Swim. All along I am referring to channel apps, not streaming services such as Hulu and P+.

I was confused by the main part of your kind reply. You asked a question and then you intended to separate out two answers, but I see them as the same. "So first question is, do THOSE apps require you have a cable/sat subscription to access their content?" The first answer is, "If so . . ." (i.e. answer to question is yes) and then "If those channels DON'T offer anything without a cable/Sat subscription. . ." which is another yes.

26,462 Posts
As I noted in post #12, some networks only support authentication to watch their current offerings so you have to subscribe to a service that authenticates in order to avoid the delay.

MTV in particular is available through Paramount+ which isn't known for sharing content with other services. Otherwise, MTV offers only a few (or one) most recent episode for free and you have to use authentication to access content any further back.

Philo carries MTV and HGTV and it comes at a much lower price than many. I don't know whether Philo authenticates.

This site shows what it takes to view individual shows that you may be interested in:

· Icon
2,263 Posts
I currently use Hulu for Fox/ABC/FX programming, Paramount+ for Comedy Central, and so on. There are some shows that don't end up on those types of streamers for quite a while, and so I wish to have access to channel apps such as MTV, TBS, HGTV, NBC, and Adult Swim. All along I am referring to channel apps, not streaming services such as Hulu and P+.

I was confused by the main part of your kind reply. You asked a question and then you intended to separate out two answers, but I see them as the same. "So first question is, do THOSE apps require you have a cable/sat subscription to access their content?" The first answer is, "If so . . ." (i.e. answer to question is yes) and then "If those channels DON'T offer anything without a cable/Sat subscription. . ." which is another yes.
So then, to clarify, to use the TBS app, you are required to have TBS on your satellite system. That's what I was saying. With that said, I was laying out other options instead of cable/satellite which are similar in nature to how cable/satellite work but are streaming in nature. YouTubeTV, Hulu Live TV, DirecTV Stream are all examples of that. Now, for some of the content you get on TBS, you could subscribe to HBO Max and not even bother with any type of linear TV and use the TBS app. So for example, you can use HBO Max to watch Adult Swim content, and other options from the Warner stable of channels (Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, etc.) Then you can ditch Satellite and and just use the apps that offer that type of content:

Hulu - Fox, FX, ABC
Disney+ - Disney Channel
Peacock - NBC, USA Network
Paramount+ - CBS, MTV, Comedy Central, Nick at Nite
HBO Max - HBO, TBS, TNT, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network
Discovery+ - Discovery, History, etc (note, HBO Max and DIscovery+ will be merging into one app soon)

And there are others. If you purchase subs to each of those apps, you can avoid cable or satellite altogether and they are all available on your Roku or Apple TV device.

Whether subbing to each of those services winds up cheaper than your Satellite bill, depends on your equipment, but if you never use your Sat TV, then it makes no sense to keep it.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As I noted in post #12, some networks only support authentication to watch their current offerings so you have to subscribe to a service that authenticates in order to avoid the delay.

MTV in particular is available through Paramount+ which isn't known for sharing content with other services. Otherwise, MTV offers only a few (or one) most recent episode for free and you have to use authentication to access content any further back.

Philo carries MTV and HGTV and it comes at a much lower price than many. I don't know whether Philo authenticates.

This site shows what it takes to view individual shows that you may be interested in:

P+ carries select MTV programming. Season 5 of Jersey Shore Family Vacation is on the MTV app but not on P+.

JustWatch is a great app that I use daily.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So then, to clarify, to use the TBS app, you are required to have TBS on your satellite system. That's what I was saying. With that said, I was laying out other options instead of cable/satellite which are similar in nature to how cable/satellite work but are streaming in nature. YouTubeTV, Hulu Live TV, DirecTV Stream are all examples of that. Now, for some of the content you get on TBS, you could subscribe to HBO Max and not even bother with any type of linear TV and use the TBS app. So for example, you can use HBO Max to watch Adult Swim content, and other options from the Warner stable of channels (Cartoon Network, TBS, TNT, etc.) Then you can ditch Satellite and and just use the apps that offer that type of content:

Hulu - Fox, FX, ABC
Disney+ - Disney Channel
Peacock - NBC, USA Network
Paramount+ - CBS, MTV, Comedy Central, Nick at Nite
HBO Max - HBO, TBS, TNT, Adult Swim, Cartoon Network
Discovery+ - Discovery, History, etc (note, HBO Max and DIscovery+ will be merging into one app soon)

And there are others. If you purchase subs to each of those apps, you can avoid cable or satellite altogether and they are all available on your Roku or Apple TV device.

Whether subbing to each of those services winds up cheaper than your Satellite bill, depends on your equipment, but if you never use your Sat TV, then it makes no sense to keep it.
Thanks, I appreciate the clarification. Some programming takes a while (months or longer) to migrate from the channel app to a streaming service.

· Hall Of Fame
2,560 Posts
I do not watch live TV. Most of the time, I watch my shows via channel apps (using Apple TV or Roku), for improved picture quality (usually 1080p). I could get by just fine using my DTV credentials to sign in to channel apps to watch shows, and never use my DVR.

I'm considering requesting a discount in order to be able to do this. I wonder if I could get rid of the $3 Whole-Home DVR Service fee, $10 Advanced Receiver Service - HD fee, and $10 Advanced Receiver Service - DVR fee. What do you think? Has anyone else done this before?
I understand what you mean and its sad that this thread became just another sales pitch for streaming services.

This is exactly what I do. Did away with the DVR and just use my DirecTV log in to authenticate on the various apps for each network involved. Works very well and doesn't cost anything.

· Premium Member
4,079 Posts
I understand what you mean and its sad that this thread became just another sales pitch for streaming services.

This is exactly what I do. Did away with the DVR and just use my DirecTV log in to authenticate on the various apps for each network involved. Works very well and doesn't cost anything.
Don't you have to have at least one receiver and a programming package that carries the channels you want to authenticate into? If so how does it not cost anything?

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Oh, great. Are you saving on your bill by not using the DVR? Did you get some of the fees that I mentioned waived? When you say this "doesn't cost anything," you are still paying for a DTV programming package at least, right?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts