DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd really like to switch from cable (Adelphia/Comcast) to Dish Network, but I absolutely need a HDTV DVR. (I can't live without one!)

My cable company only charges me $11.99 per month for the HDTV DVR but Dish Network wants $199 "equipment lease upgrade" fee.

On top of that they want $50 setup fee (not installation fee) and I'll need to buy an HDTV OTA antenna ($50??). I can deal with these fees but the $200 for the HDTV DVR is too pricey for my needs.

So that's $199 + $50 + $50 = $300. The actual satellite service I want is only $45/month (that includes the $20/month rebates they have right now), but the one-time fees are brutal.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,130 Posts
sofakng said:
I'd really like to switch from cable (Adelphia/Comcast) to Dish Network, but I absolutely need a HDTV DVR. (I can't live without one!)

My cable company only charges me $11.99 per month for the HDTV DVR but Dish Network wants $199 "equipment lease upgrade" fee.

On top of that they want $50 setup fee (not installation fee) and I'll need to buy an HDTV OTA antenna ($50??). I can deal with these fees but the $200 for the HDTV DVR is too pricey for my needs.

So that's $199 + $50 + $50 = $300. The actual satellite service I want is only $45/month (that includes the $20/month rebates they have right now), but the one-time fees are brutal.
Someone can give your a gift card, including me, saving you the $50 setup fee, and giving them a discount as well.

If you sign up for dish hd you can get $100 credit (10 for 10 months) and I believe there is another discount for new members as well.

·
Cool Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.

The Dish HD $100 credit I am aware of. It's actually $200 total but given in the form of $20 off each month. The makes my monthly bill only $45 per month which is excellent, but the HDTV DVR price is killing me.

However, the $50 gift card for the setup fee is nice to know. That certainly helps!

Can I get a used Vip622 (HDTV DVR) somehow (or perhaps get it from somebody who is canceling their service?)

I'm not trying to be cheap, but $200 is a bit much. For $100 I wouldn't care as much...

·
Hall Of Fame
3,180 Posts
The $200 is a lease fee, anyone who paid that does not own the 622 and would not be able to sell it to you. If someone who bought one would probably want a lot more than the $200 one pays for lease.

·
Icon
643 Posts
The HDTV DVR costs Dish somewhere between $500 and $1000 to manufacture.

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
People have made guesses at the individual component costs and come up with $300-$400 just for the cost of the hardware... and that doesn't include cost of assembly, packaging, marketing, employee salary, and other stuff that would go into making a unit... so $500-$1000 doesn't seem that far off to me.

I suspect that Dish sells the unit at close to cost (the $499 or so suggested retail price)... and the $199 lease fee is a highly subsidized cost. In either case, since the receiver is really only usefull with Dish network service, they can take a loss on the hardware if you agree to service for 18-months and subscribe to a programming package.

·
Icon
701 Posts
DougRuss said:
I don't think it really cost them that much/ That's alittle over inflated cost !:rolleyes:
Doug,

Really and you know that HOW?

Dish has to report its SAC (Subscriber Acqusition costs) in its shareholder report. In that report the cost for acquiring a SD subscriber is about $500. Since the VIP622 is a new receiver, its R&D hasn't yet been paid off, its production has not been fully ramped up so per unit manufactoring costs are still relatively high. With those two factors together you should agree its cost to Dish Network to produce it is still HIGHER than even its Selling price of $499.

Bottomline, its the most advanced STB in the industry BARRING NONE, Cable or Satellite. EVEN $499 seems like a HELL OF A DEAL TO ME, considering standalone Digital STB's without DVR functions for HDTV's without ATSC tuners are still selling for $250-$300 BRAND NEW.

John

·
Legend
106 Posts
You would think that if they invested that kind of $$$ in this then, they would have a Receiver that works properly ? :D
They haven't recouped there R&D Cost because the Beta Testers ( Current Users) are still dealing with "Bug Control" !:p

·
Premium Member
21,657 Posts
That's not a fair assessment... Remember those Ford vehicles that were blowing up some years back? And how long has Ford been making automobiles?

Stuff happens... and some bugs are worse than others.

I'm sure all the folks who complain that "Dish should know better" than to release a bug in software... I'm sure all those folks are 100% correct all the time, especially at work, and never ever make any mistakes?

·
Icon
522 Posts
I don't remember cost accounting as being either as simple or as accurate as portraid here.

Maybe people are confusing direct costs, variable costs, marginal costs, expensing for taxes, managerial accounting, and other issues?

I remember one Managerial Accounting text starting out with the quote "Some are balls. Some are strikes. But they ain't nothin tell I call em."

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.