DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,
I just received my HR20 receiver yesterday and I guess because I saw that it had an ethernet port, I assumed I would be able to transfer shows from the dvr to my pc to free up some hard drive space. Well after an hour of searching Google for a way to do this, I found this site. I've also searched this site and still haven't found a definite answer to my question.

I have read about ViiV and it's my understanding that the ethernet port it now unlocked. From what I've read, Viiv just allows you to view pictures and listen to music on your PC via the DVR. I don't care about this.

I have a Microsoft Media Center 2005 PC and all I want to do is to transfer shows from the dvr to my PC using the ethernet port. I do have a router and have extensive knowledge in networking. I just need to know if this is possible and how or what I need.

Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brent

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
wmschultz said:
Not able to do that at this time. Doubt ever.
Thanks for the prompt response. Any idea how other people are transferring shows to there PC? I know that it is possible with either different receivers or different cable/satelite providers because you see them posted on sites like youtube.com all of the time. If I've got to buy a different receiver, then that's what I'll do.

Thanks again!

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jaywdetroit said:
Isn't there supposed to be some kind of "To Go" service coming along soon?
I've read about this, but I think it's just for the Tivo receiver (Series 2 or 3 maybe?) and not the HR20. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks,
Brent

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
There is a DirecTV2Go in the works... but no details on what it entails.

As for the "other" services...
None of them are transferring the original Digital version of the broadcast.

In TiVo's case, those are Analog Signals, re-compressed by the box.
Hence, the content providers are not as... worried... about them.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
DIRECTV is also working on their version of DIRECTV to go as well. No idea on dates for it though.

Darn, Earl beat me to it!

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Earl Bonovich said:
There is a DirecTV2Go in the works... but no details on what it entails.

As for the "other" services...
None of them are transferring the original Digital version of the broadcast.

In TiVo's case, those are Analog Signals, re-compressed by the box.
Hence, the content providers are not as... worried... about them.
Oh ok, cool. I just got off the phone with a technical support person from DTV and he said that right now the USB, Ethernet, and SATA options are not available. He could not give me an ETA on when they would be available.

Oh well, maybe someone will come up with some sort of hack.

Thanks again,
Brent

·
Hall Of Fame
1,308 Posts
brentman said:
Oh ok, cool. I just got off the phone with a technical support person from DTV and he said that right now the USB, Ethernet, and SATA options are not available. He could not give me an ETA on when they would be available.

Thanks again,
Brent
:lol: :grin:

That's summing it up.

·
AllStar
70 Posts
Hi.

Use an external, video-enabled DVD burner. I'm using the Sony VRD-MC3 and I love it. It's on sale for $200 this week from Best Buy.

Bye.

brentman said:
Hello Everyone,
I just received my HR20 receiver yesterday and I guess because I saw that it had an ethernet port, I assumed I would be able to transfer shows from the dvr to my pc to free up some hard drive space. Well after an hour of searching Google for a way to do this, I found this site. I've also searched this site and still haven't found a definite answer to my question.

I have read about ViiV and it's my understanding that the ethernet port it now unlocked. From what I've read, Viiv just allows you to view pictures and listen to music on your PC via the DVR. I don't care about this.

I have a Microsoft Media Center 2005 PC and all I want to do is to transfer shows from the dvr to my PC using the ethernet port. I do have a router and have extensive knowledge in networking. I just need to know if this is possible and how or what I need.

Thanks,
Brent

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
brentman said:

Thanks again,
Brent
For transfering programs? Yes, all three of those are not available.

For usage though:

Networking was enabled with 0x108
And you can add an external eSATA drive to the unit for a larger storage capacity.

·
Legend
122 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:

For usage though:

And you can add an external eSATA drive to the unit for a larger storage capacity.
So what does the networking function allow you to do?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
Ryanm86 said:
So what does the networking function allow you to do?
Connect to your home PC's to access Audio and Picture files

·
Legend
122 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
Connect to your home PC's to access Audio and Picture files
Well that's nice, I was hoping you could network 2 HR20s to share content between them. That would be nice. Of course it doesn't matter since I am still on the waiting list!!

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dpluta said:
Hi.

Use an external, video-enabled DVD burner. I'm using the Sony VRD-MC3 and I love it. It's on sale for $200 this week from Best Buy.

Bye.
How are you plugging in?

Thanks,
Brent

·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Earl Bonovich said:

For usage though:

How does the eSATA drive plug into the receiver? USB? I'm just curious because I have a Western Digital "My Book" external hard drive that I could use if possible.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Brent

·
Godfather
253 Posts
brentman said:
How does the eSATA drive plug into the receiver? USB? I'm just curious because I have a Western Digital "My Book" external hard drive that I could use if possible.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Brent
By using the eSATA port on the back of the DVR.

eSATA is external serial ATA, USB is universal serial bus... separate things. No support for external USB drives.

·
DBSTalk Club Member
179 Posts
brentman said:
Hello Everyone,

Thanks,
Brent
There are other ways to do this with the old HDVR2's and other boxes but it isn't for the faint of heart. I have 3 of them on my network and I can shoot video all around the house, even to my pc for burning. As others have said, it isn't likely that you'll see it on the HR20 because of copyright issues and other concerns.

Best bet: DVD burner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.