DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Cool Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I have an old D* dish and LNB that I planned to install at an farmhouse that we spend about 3 weekends a year at. I thought I had a spare D* receiver to go with it but discovered I did not. A family member who subscribes to E* has volunteered a spare E* receiver for the job but I don't have an E* dish or LNB.

My question is: Can I use the D* dish/LNB for E* service? I suspect not. Can I use the D* dish with an E* LNB? If so, what "flavor" LNB should I look to purchase? This would be for an "old" (4-5 years old) regular non-DVR type Dish 500 type receiver.

Thanks for any assistance.

-Gator
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
1,057 Posts
First off, you would have to repoint the dish from 101 to either 110 or 119 (however you probably want to point at both, and I have scene things on eBay that turn an 18inch Dish (which is what I assume the old DirecTV dish is) into a mini Dish500. It just tilts the second LNB). With that said, as long as the DirecTV LNB is a 'legacy' or 'standard' one, you should be good. There was a point that the only difference between a DirecTV LNB and a Dish LNB was one was in the shape of a square, the other was in the shape of a D.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
40 Posts
insta.gator said:
Hi All!

I have an old D* dish and LNB that I planned to install at an farmhouse that we spend about 3 weekends a year at. I thought I had a spare D* receiver to go with it but discovered I did not. A family member who subscribes to E* has volunteered a spare E* receiver for the job but I don't have an E* dish or LNB.

My question is: Can I use the D* dish/LNB for E* service? I suspect not. Can I use the D* dish with an E* LNB? If so, what "flavor" LNB should I look to purchase? This would be for an "old" (4-5 years old) regular non-DVR type Dish 500 type receiver.

Thanks for any assistance.

-Gator
Yes you can use a Direct dish with a Dish network receiver.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,581 Posts
insta.gator said:
And a DirecTV LNB? Will it work with Dish? I understand that it will only point to one satellite at a time.
An 18" directv dish and LNB would be the same as a dish 300 and Legacy LNB. All DISH receivers will work with Legacy LNBs. Yes a D* dish and LNB will work for reception of one DISH Network satellite 119 will offer the most programming.:)
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
boba said:
An 18" directv dish and LNB would be the same as a dish 300 and Legacy LNB. All DISH receivers will work with Legacy LNBs. Yes a D* dish and LNB will work for reception of one DISH Network satellite 119 will offer the most programming.:)
Interesting. So if I have a couple of old D* dishes with LNB's lying around, is it possible to shoot 110 with one and 119 with the other and somehow feed them both into the receiver? Would I have to diplex the 2 into a single cable input?
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
360 Posts
insta.gator said:
Interesting. So if I have a couple of old D* dishes with LNB's lying around, is it possible to shoot 110 with one and 119 with the other and somehow feed them both into the receiver? Would I have to diplex the 2 into a single cable input?
Not a diplexer, but a switch. In this case, the Legacy 21 Switch. Check around, I'm sure they're cheap.
 

· EKB Editor
Joined
·
4,022 Posts
You can't diplex (combine/separate different frequencies on the same line) because the DBS satellites all operate on the same frequencies, and because of that you need a way to view one sat at a time. Hence, a switch, in this case the legacy SW21.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top