DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Godfather
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Sony X95J Google TV. Is there any way that the remote that came with this TV can control the HR44 box? Would be nice to be able to go to one remote to control the DTV and my streaming services on the TV.

·
Premium Member
11,223 Posts
What you can do is program your DIRECTV remote for your Sony X95J. After you do your DIRECTV remote will turn on/off your HR44 and X95J and raise or lower it's volume and mute it's volume. If you are using a Sony AVR the DIRECTV remote will turn it on/off and raise or lower it's volume and mute it's volume.

·
Godfather
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What you can do is program your DIRECTV remote for your Sony X95J. After you do your DIRECTV remote will turn on/off your HR44 and X95J and raise or lower it's volume and mute it's volume. If you are using a Sony AVR the DIRECTV remote will turn it on/off and raise or lower it's volume and mute it's volume.
Thanks, but I already know that I can do that, but that isn't what I asked. I want to use the Sony remote to control the Genie box. Not the other way around.

·
Premium Member
11,223 Posts
I doubt you can do that. If you can it should be stated with the User Manual that came with your Sony X95J.

·
Premium Member
4,036 Posts
Thanks, but I already know that I can do that, but that isn't what I asked. I want to use the Sony remote to control the Genie box. Not the other way around.
your best bet to get a answer --is using your Sony remote and go to settings and contact SONY support through your TV menu, I have an 80J and contacted them taht way for a different question and got a prompt response.

·
Godfather
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
your best bet to get a answer --is using your Sony remote and go to settings and contact SONY support through your TV menu, I have an 80J and contacted them taht way for a different question and got a prompt response.
This worked - much thanks!

Reactions: WestDC

·
Godfather
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
update - they walked me through it - and YES, it will control the Genie. I'm very surprised. The only issue is exiting the guide or any menu as the Sony remote does not have an exit button.

Appreciate all the replies.

Any of you use a Universal remote at all?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
I want to use the Sony remote to control the Genie box.
While this might be what you think you want, I encourage you to think carefully about using the Sony remote (or any TV remote for that matter) with a proper DVR (regardless of brand). Not having just a few of the dedicated DVR and special buttons (especially the jump buttons) will certainly be a drag. The other downside is that the Sony remote would be operating the Genie in IR mode so you would have to work within those limitations.

While the Sony remote is pretty adept at running things like disc players and media players, having to navigate Sony's on-screen remote for buttons not on the remote itself is not anyone's idea of a good time. The RC7x is arguably no prize as DVR remotes go, but it is surely better than Sony's setup when it comes to running a Genie.

·
Premium Member
2,301 Posts
update - they walked me through it - and YES, it will control the Genie. I'm very surprised. The only issue is exiting the guide or any menu as the Sony remote does not have an exit button.

Appreciate all the replies.

Any of you use a Universal remote at all?
Not sure on your remote but some remotes will exit by a long press on the back button. My LG remote is like that.

·
Godfather
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you try the BACK button?
yes - it moves the cursor/focus to the left on the guide which highlights the ability to chose on demand for that channel LOL.

·
Godfather
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
While this might be what you think you want, I encourage you to think carefully about using the Sony remote (or any TV remote for that matter) with a proper DVR (regardless of brand). Not having just a few of the dedicated DVR and special buttons (especially the jump buttons) will certainly be a drag. The other downside is that the Sony remote would be operating the Genie in IR mode so you would have to work within those limitations.

While the Sony remote is pretty adept at running things like disc players and media players, having to navigate Sony's on-screen remote for buttons not on the remote itself is not anyone's idea of a good time. The RC7x is arguably no prize as DVR remotes go, but it is surely better than Sony's setup when it comes to running a Genie.
Sony's remote will actually do RF. It is pretty slick. The only issue is controlling our Bose audio system's volume - at least the DTV remote could do that. The Sony won't (at least not yet that I've found".

I agree that the DTV remote is ideal for running the genie - but I really would like to cut down on all the remotes (meaning, my wife would like to cut down on all the remotes :D)

Reactions: WestDC

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
Sony's remote will actually do RF. It is pretty slick.
It is important not to confuse HDMI-CEC (and its ability for one device to control another via signals sent over the HDMI connection) with the TV's remote being able to control a particular device directly (i.e. via IR or RF). CEC is almost certainly what's in play with your Bose audio system.

CEC can't magically create buttons that don't exist on the remote. I hoped that the back button would work.

Very few devices other than the RC7x can control a Genie via RF. The RF scheme used is unique to the Genie product line.

·
Godfather
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It is important not to confuse HDMI-CEC (and its ability for one device to control another via signals sent over the HDMI connection) with the TV's remote being able to control a particular device directly (i.e. via IR or RF). CEC is almost certainly what's in play with your Bose audio system.

CEC can't magically create buttons that don't exist on the remote. I hoped that the back button would work.

Very few devices other than the RC7x can control a Genie via RF. The RF scheme used is unique to the Genie product line.
yeah - you're most likely correct regarding the genie.

The bose doesn't connect via HDMI - it is an older model that has its own remote. The Genie peanut will control it - but my sony remote wont. Too bad. Looks like back to the ugly peanut for now.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
23,902 Posts
The bose doesn't connect via HDMI - it is an older model that has its own remote. The Genie peanut will control it - but my sony remote wont. Too bad. Looks like back to the ugly peanut for now.
Does the sound system not have an HDMI input?

Phrases like "the bose" and "older model" aren't particularly definitive.

If it does have an HDMI input, you may be able to run it from the TV.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts