DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm obviously new to the forum. Here's my deal: I use directv strictly for sports. I only have it since I need it for Sunday Ticket, and I added the NHL Center Ice package as well. I currently have an HD Receiver and would like to upgrade to an HD DVR receiver to record some games. I use cable for regular use, so I only need one HDDVR and it doesn't have to have all the bells and whistles that a lot of people want - I literally only want it to record some sports. In doing some research, I've seen that some units are outdated and may no longer use some certain signals or something like that. I know very little about this stuff, and want to make it cheap and easy on myself! I had the service installed in my home in July 2009. I DO NOT want to extend my contract, and I know that in order to do so, I need to purchase an owned receiver and a new access card. With all that said, can someone recommend a good receiver for what I need/want? I think the HR24 looks pretty good, but even that may be a little more than I really need. If I can make this happen for under $100, I'd be extremely happy. Can anyone steer me in the right direction? TIA! :)

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
The thing is, the prices aren't really that different from DVR to DVR, if you're looking at a secondary source like ebay or craigslist. Just buy from someone reputable and make sure they'll take a return if it shows up on your door DOA. As dpeters11 said, get the access card number first and confirm they have the right to sell it.

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
Welcome mossman.

I'm afraid that what you want will be extremely difficult to get. Almost all of the DVRs are leased. Keep an eye on the Buy/Sell forums here -- an occasional owned HR24 will show up, but they go fast and the ones I've seen were well over $100.

All the new HD DVRs have the same bells & whistles (except the new HR34 which has 5 tuners and can do RVU). But the older ones (HR20/21) are getting long in the tooth.

I know you don't want another commitment, but I think you should call DirecTV and see what kind of a deal they can get you for an adding an HD DVR (and MRV while you're at it). You might get it all free. And since you can only get your Sunday Ticket through DirecTV, do you really think you're going to cancel in the next two years?

Good luck.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
"Stuart Sweet" said:
The thing is, the prices aren't really that different from DVR to DVR, if you're looking at a secondary source like ebay or craigslist. Just buy from someone reputable and make sure they'll take a return if it shows up on your door DOA. As dpeters11 said, get the access card number first and confirm they have the right to sell it.
Wouldn't he want to get the receiver ID? I thought the access card number was a moot point, as the old one can't be used.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,722 Posts
ANY time you activate a new receiver/access card on your account, you automatically extend your contract 2 years (regardless if it's SD/HD/DVR, etc.) so if that's a problem, you may as well stop now.

However, if you want to only replace your existing HD receiver with an HD DVR, you might be able to talk D* into moving your existing access card, into a used receiver, which YOU will have to somehow find, & make SURE it's NOT a leased unit. I should tell you that while I have gotten the access card dept to move cards to different receivers I had, they generally will NOT do this nowadays - so it's a VERY longshot you're going to be able to make this happen, either.

good luck

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
When you get enough posts to send a PM, send one to MATT in Oklahoma on here. He usually has, or knows where you can buy an owned one, and he is reasonable and reliable. Another source not mentioned, is the refurbed HR21PRO units at solidsignal.com

·
Super Moderator
12,888 Posts
mossman813 said:
Thanks a lot guys. I'll give that site a try ...
Keep in mind, you can't order just any DVR from Solid Signal (or any other 3rd party retailer) as owned. With the specific exception of the HR21PRO, they will all be leased.

The only practical way to get the other HR2x models owned is to buy used from a private individual, and verify first via Receiver ID number (RID) with DirecTV that it is owned and eligible to be activated if you buy it.

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
carl6 said:
Keep in mind, you can't order just any DVR from Solid Signal (or any other 3rd party retailer) as owned. With the specific exception of the HR21PRO, they will all be leased.

The only practical way to get the other HR2x models owned is to buy used from a private individual, and verify first via Receiver ID number (RID) with DirecTV that it is owned and eligible to be activated if you buy it.
That's DEFINITELY good to know. Thanks so much for that headache-avoiding answer!

·
Godfather
433 Posts
carl6 said:
Keep in mind, you MAY NOT BE ABLE TO order just any DVR from Solid Signal (or MANY other 3rd party retailerS) as owned. With the specific exception of the HR21PRO, they will all be leased, UNLESS YOU DO SOME HOMEWORK AND FIND A REAL DEALER

The only practical way to get the other HR2x models owned is to buy used from a private individual, OR GOOD DEALER and verify first via Receiver ID number (RID) with DirecTV that it is owned and eligible to be activated if you buy it.
FIFY

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
dpeters11 said:
Wouldn't he want to get the receiver ID? I thought the access card number was a moot point, as the old one can't be used.
Yes, and the best thing for him to do is find "owned" HRs on eBay or Craigslist. Get the Receiver ID number and call the Access Card folks at this number: 877-887-7994. Direct line to them. Usually no waiting. They will be able to tell you for sure if the HR is "owned" or leased. Not many owned HRs showing up on eBay lately. The seller's insist they are owned, but calling the Access folks usually results in being told it's leased. Most of the leased HRs won't be activated by D*.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,675 Posts
dishrich said:
ANY time you activate a new receiver/access card on your account, you automatically extend your contract 2 years (regardless if it's SD/HD/DVR, etc.) so if that's a problem, you may as well stop now.

However, if you want to only replace your existing HD receiver with an HD DVR, you might be able to talk D* into moving your existing access card, into a used receiver, which YOU will have to somehow find, & make SURE it's NOT a leased unit. I should tell you that while I have gotten the access card dept to move cards to different receivers I had, they generally will NOT do this nowadays - so it's a VERY longshot you're going to be able to make this happen, either.

good luck
I think that's incorrect. If you buy an "owned" HR and buy the Access Card and activate it, it does not extend your commitment.

Rich

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Probably also worth mentioning that you will pay an additional monthly fee per receiver.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.