DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please explain the hysteria over the show "Lost" to me? Ive never seen an episode; but from hearing people talk about it, it sounds to me like the two sequels to the Matrix (which I saw but just didnt really care for). They all seem to be trying to be so over the top with twists and turns that theyve become confusing.

· The Shadow Knows!
36,634 Posts
Oh boy. Well I never really got into this show, even though I wanted to. Personally I love the idea of global conspiracies and hidden clues. I ate up books like The DaVinci Code and even made it through Foucault's Pendulum. I love it when entertainment forces your mind to work. I didn't get into this show, though, for what might be superficial reasons. I was learning how to fly when it premiered and didn't want to watch a show with a plane crash. That, and I really disliked Michael Emerson's guest spot on The Practice.

I think it's fun to immerse onself in something so completely that you try to understand the internal logic of it.

At least that's why I would have gotten into it... I expect for others the idea of a perpetually wet Evangeline Lilly had something to do with it as well.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
It's confusing if you haven't watched it from the start. If you follow closely you'll understand most of it. There are a lot of twists.

Like Stuart said, if you're into the type of show that makes you think and gets you completely immersed in the plot, pick up the DVDs. The confusion you read about on the forums here stems from a person not having watched every episode or not paying attention. The other folks talking about it are having fun guessing at which way it's going next and why the producers did XYZ. You can't half-watch this show while doing something else - you'll get lost very easily. No pun intended.

Oh, and Evangeline Lilly isn't bad to look at either. :D

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stuart Sweet said:
Oh boy. Well I never really got into this show, even though I wanted to. Personally I love the idea of global conspiracies and hidden clues. I ate up books like The DaVinci Code and even made it through Foucault's Pendulum. I love it when entertainment forces your mind to work. I didn't get into this show, though, for what might be superficial reasons. I was learning how to fly when it premiered and didn't want to watch a show with a plane crash. That, and I really disliked Michael Emerson's guest spot on The Practice.

I think it's fun to immerse onself in something so completely that you try to understand the internal logic of it.

At least that's why I would have gotten into it... I expect for others the idea of a perpetually wet Evangeline Lilly had something to do with it as well.
I dont mind having to think when I watch a show or movie that makes it fun for me too, but when things become too over the top it loses all its fun.

If you liked Da Vinci Code you would also like Angels and Demons.

· Godfather
385 Posts
Agree on the book suggestion, Angels and Demons was pretty good. I like Lost, my wife stopped watching it last year. I had back surgery last season when it got kinda corny. But, being I had so much time, I stuck with it. This year was much better, but still not as good as the first season or so. It is a show you really have to pay attention too, and it does get a little confusing sometimes. I'll keep watching, as I have invested all this time so far, but picking up in the middle would be useless, in my opinion.

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tcusta00 said:
It's confusing if you haven't watched it from the start. If you follow closely you'll understand most of it. There are a lot of twists.

Like Stuart said, if you're into the type of show that makes you think and gets you completely immersed in the plot, pick up the DVDs. The confusion you read about on the forums here stems from a person not having watched every episode or not paying attention. The other folks talking about it are having fun guessing at which way it's going next and why the producers did XYZ. You can't half-watch this show while doing something else - you'll get lost very easily. No pun intended.

Oh, and Evangeline Lilly isn't bad to look at either. :D
Of course she isnt bad to look at.....thats a big plus for the show.

I might have to rent the dvds from Netflix and see if I cant see what its all about; but from what people who watch the show regliously have told me, they are even gettting sick of the plot twists and turns. And these are people who have seen every episode several times.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
jodyguercio said:

I might have to rent the dvds from Netflix and see if I cant see what its all about; but from what people who watch the show regliously have told me, they are even gettting sick of the plot twists and turns. And these are people who have seen every episode several times.
I can't speak for them, but I've watched every episode (once) and love it. It's a mind-blitz sometimes, but I enjoy that kinda thing.

· Registered
16,423 Posts
If you, like me, really enjoy a show that exercises your brain then you will love LOST.

I'm hooked big time. I own all of the seasons on DVD, and just finished the Xbox360 game. :)

Renting the DVD's is a good idea, but beware... Once you start you won't be able to stop.

We have one guy I work with that hasn't watched an episode but hears 3 of us talk about it all the time. He decided to start watching from season 1 all the way up to the end of 4. He finished watching them all within a week, needless to say he's hooked now as well.

· Godfather
489 Posts
jodyguercio said:

I have seen every episode from the very first one up and to the most recent. There has never been a show that has affected me the way Lost has.

It is a BIG 'shoosh-fest (shutthehellup fest)' at my house while that show is on.

Only 6 more months until the next season premier!!

Get the 1 season and start now. You will NOT regret it!

· Hall Of Fame
15,556 Posts
There are two shows I watch that I can't watch when the family other than my wife and I are present. Lost and Battlestar Galactica require one to listen to the dialogue - you can't talk through it or go get a drink if you want to know what's going on. Even then, I have to check the Lost pedia and BSG wiki to confirm or revise what I think is going on. With regard to Lost, I would suggest looking at the speculation site Lost: A Theory on Time Travel to get a feel for what kind of thinking underlies the show.

As you might guess, I'm not into reality TV or game shows. I like well-written scripted shows. I've seen shows with uninspired writers saved by the combination of good directors and actors until the producers get it together and hire better writers. But it's much more difficult for a poor director or actor to ruin a show if its well written.

Edit: I probably should note I'm retired and have time to waste on this stuff.

· Hall Of Fame
1,262 Posts
I wished we had waited until the whole series was done and then gotten the whole thing on DVD. I still like it but we have to wait so long between seasons and, after all the shows doing the cliffhanger thing this last year, we're tired of having to remember so much from so many shows. Like I said, I still like it, but my husband just shrugs when it comes on.

· Hall Of Fame
21,334 Posts
I also have enjoyed Lost over the years that it has been going on. Now I have so much time invested that I can't possibly stop watching. :lol:

It's funny though the things that people get hooked on. I had an old college house mate (one of five of us) who was hooked on the show "Kung Fu". If anyone dared walk into the living room, where he only television in the house was, he would shush them up so that he wouldn't miss anything. This fellow took it all very seriously. His major was ancient languages with a specialty in Sanskrit. I'd love to know what happened to the fellow and haven't heard from him since the college days. He was planning a trip to India and the Himalayas the last time I saw him. Maybe he got "Lost".

· Hall Of Fame
1,655 Posts
I watched the first couple of episodes, and unfortunately was away from Primetime TV for a while.

Need to get NetFlix and catch up.

· Difficulty Concen........
Directv, 5 LNB Slimline Dish, HR34-700, HR44-500, C31-700, C41-700, 2 DIRECTV SWM16, 2 Zinwell WB68
7,251 Posts
It is a fad and will die as such. The simpsons, southpark, dallas These all have their places in history

· Registered
7,910 Posts
armophob said:
It is a fad and will die as such. The simpsons, southpark, dallas These all have their places in history
Aren't all TV shows fads? :confused:

Anyhow, I think the producers saw the writing on the wall and wanted to keep their fans happy so they committed to ending the show after six seasons, which will prevent it from jumping the shark and stringing people along for too too long.

· Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
tcusta00 said:
Aren't all TV shows fads? :confused:

Anyhow, I think the producers saw the writing on the wall and wanted to keep their fans happy so they committed to ending the show after six seasons, which will prevent it from jumping the shark and stringing people along for too too long.
It could always jump the shark before then so....but youre right tv as a whole is a fad or we'd still be old Mr Ed and Lassie episodes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.