DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked, but to make it simple can you double diplex?

Here is the situation, I have the standard DVR currently and it is hooked up in this configuration at the DVR: 1 RG6 cable comes out of the wall and connects to a diplexor, 1 of the cables from it goes to the special splitter that feeds SAT 1 and SAT 2 inputs, the other cable is connected to the TV2 output. Thus in the basement on the other end of the cable that goes into the wall there is a diplexor and 1 cable goes to the SAT dish and the other goes to a TV in the basement which gets the signal from the TV2 output. Just for reference the DVR is in dual mode and the TV2 signal is modulated on channel 73.

I recently purchased an HDTV and would like to upgrade to the HD DVR, of course not all the HD stations in my area are provided by DISH. So I would get an antenna to pickup the rest, but I do not want to run another cable from the basement to where the DVR would be. So here is what I am thinking of doing, in the original configuration, adding another diplexor to the line for TV2 and then connecting the ANT to the open port on the new diplexor in the basement and then to the ANT IN on the DVR.

Does that sound like it would work? I could draw a diagram if it would make it easier to understand.

Thanks for any help.

Allen

·
Icon
627 Posts
allent said:
Please forgive me if this question has already been asked, but to make it simple can you double diplex?

Here is the situation, I have the standard DVR currently and it is hooked up in this configuration at the DVR: 1 RG6 cable comes out of the wall and connects to a diplexor, 1 of the cables from it goes to the special splitter that feeds SAT 1 and SAT 2 inputs, the other cable is connected to the TV2 output. Thus in the basement on the other end of the cable that goes into the wall there is a diplexor and 1 cable goes to the SAT dish and the other goes to a TV in the basement which gets the signal from the TV2 output. Just for reference the DVR is in dual mode and the TV2 signal is modulated on channel 73.

I recently purchased an HDTV and would like to upgrade to the HD DVR, of course not all the HD stations in my area are provided by DISH. So I would get an antenna to pickup the rest, but I do not want to run another cable from the basement to where the DVR would be. So here is what I am thinking of doing, in the original configuration, adding another diplexor to the line for TV2 and then connecting the ANT to the open port on the new diplexor in the basement and then to the ANT IN on the DVR.

Does that sound like it would work? I could draw a diagram if it would make it easier to understand.

Thanks for any help.

Allen
There are TRIPLEXERS that you can try for that. Search eBay.

I've seen them use for FM/TV/SAT. I have seen them advertised for 2SAT/CBL distribution but I have never tried them.

·
Super Moderator
54,008 Posts
This is more of a backfeed. You are going to end up broadcasting your signal over your antenna. Even if you manage to prevent that (by having a one way amp or other directional filter) your combined cable will be fighting signals between the antenna and the TV2 home distribution. Be careful of what frequencies you choose.

ATSC is hard enough to get right without adding an interference source to the antenna feed.

·
Mentor
38 Posts
I don't know exactly but I thought this was possible to have TV2, OTA & Sat combined on one cable....

TV2 ------[in combiner
OTA-------[in combiner/ out]-------[in diplexor 900mhz
Sat---------------------------------[in diplexor 900-2300/ out]----....

....-----[in diplexor/ out ]------ Sat
/ out]--------OTA/TV2

Given TV2 does not intefere on OTA stations (CH61?) you should be good.

However for this to work, tv2 must be brought out to a combiner w/ the OTA. Maybe thats the rub eh? You'll still need two cables to the receiver.

Got it from here.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=62967

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.